Multifuel Stove on Check in Luggage

PatNZ

Multifuel Stove on Check in Luggage

Postby PatNZ » Sun May 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi, I'm wondering about putting Liquid fuel stoves onto airplanes.

I have a used multi fuel stove that runs on Kerosene Diesel and Petrol.

Its a single piece stove with the bottom compartment attached to the burning part. It has been used so has some scent of fuel inside it even though it has been throughly emptied.

Has any one else has any experience on how to travel with these? Is this some thing to be concerned about?

Thanks,

RonK

Re: Multifuel Stove on Check in Luggage

Postby RonK » Sun May 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Take great care or there is every likelyhood it will be confiscated.

Read the posts toward the end of this thread, where the issue was discussed in detail just recently. Stoves and Cookware

In particular be aware that you need written permission from the airline.

Best option is to leave it a home and take a gas canister stove.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Oh thats not ideal not heading back this way until maybe 2019.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun May 27, 2018 8:45 pm

RonK wrote:Take great care or there is every likelyhood it will be confiscated.

Read the posts toward the end of this thread, where the issue was discussed in detail just recently. Stoves and Cookware

In particular be aware that you need written permission from the airline.

Best option is to leave it a home and take a gas canister stove.
+1 :(

PatNZ, there are various threads that might offer you some shipping ideas on classicstoves.com though you may have to sign up to the site to be able to read them.
Not really a chore as there is lots of useful info on fuel stoves within its pages
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 pm

I've carried a MSR Dragonfly on International flights. I don't declare it at check in and put in the checked baggage. Obviously it need some to be thoroughly clean and aired for a few days dismantled and then stored in plastic plastic bags. Mine was in stored in a cooking set (I'm guessing it helped divert attention from it when baggage was x-rayed.) with fuel bottle (minus cap) stored on bikes water bottle carrier.

It also should have a note stating it has been cleaned and air in accordance with IATA regulations- there is a script floating around the internet somewhere that you can copy.

BobtheBuilder

Postby BobtheBuilder » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Until I read the thread referred to above, I'd never given any thought to taking my MSR on planes in checked baggage (obviously with no fuel and with aired out and loosely closed fuel bottle), so I wouldn't stress too much about it.

But if you've got the time, I suppose it makes sense to go through the formalities.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 pm

rich1642 wrote:I've carried a MSR Dragonfly on International flights. I don't declare it at check in and put in the checked baggage. Obviously it need some to be thoroughly clean and aired for a few days dismantled and then stored in plastic plastic bags. Mine was in stored in a cooking set (I'm guessing it helped divert attention from it when baggage was x-rayed.) with fuel bottle (minus cap) stored on bikes water bottle carrier.

It also should have a note stating it has been cleaned and air in accordance with IATA regulations- there is a script floating around the internet somewhere that you can copy.

Here is an unformatted copy of the declaration Qantas uses. Sorry, but I cannot see how to attach a better formatted declaration form. Got the original from the Dangerous Goods section of Qantas baggage info. I have used this with 4 Qantas flights and 4 Sri lankan flights. Thai has a blanket approval, but check first. Air France WOULD NOT allow my sons to bring my Dragonfly in checked baggage.

DECLARATION/FLUSHING PROCEDURES
LIQUID FUEL CAMPING STOVES AND FUEL CONTAINERS
Operator (airline) approval is required to carry liquid fuel camping stoves and fuel containers.
To request an approval, this form must be emailed to dg@qantas.com.au.
I (print name)............................................................................... confirm that I have
followed one of the listed procedures to ensure the camping stove and fuel tank/containers are
safe for air travel in checked baggage.
PROCEDURE 1
I declare the liquid fuel camping stove, mantle/wick and tank/fuel containers are new,
unused and a recent purchase receipt is available on request.
When using either procedure 2 or 3, all steps must be completed.
PROCEDURE 2
1. I have drained (for at least one hour) all flammable liquids from the camping stove and
tank/fuel containers, removed the mantle/wick; and
2. I have allowed the camping stove and tank/fuel containers to be open to the air to
ventilate for at least six hours; and
3. I have wrapped the camping stove, new & unused mantle/wick and tank/fuel containers
in absorbent material such as paper towel and placed them in a polyethylene or
equivalent bag; and
4. I have sealed the top of the bag with an elastic band, string or equivalent.
PROCEDURE 3
1. I have drained all flammable liquids from the camping stove, removed the mantle/wick
and tank/fuel containers then flushed the fuel containers with a vegetable cooking oil or
an equivalent product; and
2. I have wrapped the camping stove, new and unused mantle/wick and tank/fuel
containers in absorbent material such as paper towel and placed them in a
polyethylene or equivalent bag; and
3. I have sealed the top of the bag with an elastic band, string or equivalent.
ANY SMELL OF FUEL WILL RESULT IN THE ITEM BEING DENIED CARRIAGE
This form must:
 not be signed unless you have complied with either procedure 1, 2 or 3; and
 be carried when travelling with the camping stove and fuel container.
NOTE: Non-compliance is a serious offence and penalties may apply.

Flight Number/s: ......................................... Flight Date: ................................................
Date procedure completed: ........................... Signature: .................................................

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 am

rich1642 wrote:I've carried a MSR Dragonfly on International flights. I don't declare it at check in and put in the checked baggage.
If found and undeclared it will probably be confiscated. If found after the flight .. you could be in trouble with fines and legal proceedings...

The right thing to do is ask for permission.
The Quantas method for getting permission can be found on the web ;
Read https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/ ... containers
Fill out and return https://www.qantas.com/dangerousgoods/d ... ainers.pdf
The return instructions are on the page.

Would you be comfortable if someone had fireworks in their check baggage? Happened to me. I think the same for someone who had not done the right thing for a fuel stove, if they are not following one part of the procedure how can I be confident that they followed other parts?

-----------------------
On a practical note.
I found draining and airing a Coleman (422?) stove fairly useless to remove the fuel smell. I think some remains in the small tubes that feed the burner and so it smells even after a week of airing. So .. I put a little fuel in it and fired it up . and let it run out of fuel. This removes most if not all the fuel in the little feeding pipes. Then drain (bugger all there) and air it. Result .. no smell .. this was back before you had to get written permission, but had to comply with the no smell and packaging requirements.

The message here is .. don't wait till the day before you fly to get rid of the fuel smell .. have plenty of time to do this bit!!!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Fire performers have the same problem with performance appliances with used kevlar on them. The response tends to be ad hoc determinations highly dependent on who is checking you in. The only sure-fire solution for performers is to rewrap with unused kevlar in advance of departure.

Wrapping in generous amounts of cling wrap sometimes satisfies whoever makes the determination. I guess you could try to impress them by wrapping your stove with that heavy duty security wrap that is available at airport check-in.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

BobtheBuilder

Postby BobtheBuilder » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:54 am

Warin wrote: Would you be comfortable if someone had fireworks in their check baggage?
That's a bit of a false analogy. A clean stove is not at all similar to fireworks, which are inherently dangerous.

Warin

Postby Warin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:02 am

BobtheBuilder wrote:
Warin wrote:Would you be comfortable if someone had fireworks in their check baggage?
That's a bit of a false analogy. A clean stove is not at all similar to fireworks, which are inherently dangerous.
I do hope you read my second next sentence following that quote :?:

A stove is also inherently dangerous, but steps can be taken to remove that dangerous condition from stoves far more easily that from fireworks.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Other options:
1. Travel with no stove at all. On arrival at destination buy a suitable stove. This works particularly well for Europe, especially France, Italy and Spain, where the CampingGaz stoves and canisters are available readily, and fuel cans are very inexpensive and sold in every supermarket.

2. Get a Trangia stove and take a brand new fuel bottle with you - no fuel smell at all.

pbekkerh

Postby pbekkerh » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 pm

If you want to be sure to have fuel when arrived, you could bring this gel and use until you've found some fuel.
It is so safe that it is approved for unrestricted transport on military and commercial aircraft, since it is a stable, non-toxic, and non-hazardous material with a low flash point.
http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/sup ... lity-flame

On sale here just now
https://www.spejdersport.dk/utility-fla ... 4-stk.aspx
Ghost SE7000
PlanetX Exocet
Colnago Sprint 1986
Solio 1910
Boreas Aër 2003
Bike Friday Tikit
Trailer Extrawheel I & II

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:02 am

BobtheBuilder wrote:
Warin wrote: Would you be comfortable if someone had fireworks in their check baggage?
Yes a clean stove is "vapour-free" and thus not explosive. Fireworks with gunpowder (aka black powder - not to be confused with smokeless) are Class C explosives. Note Smokeless powder is not classified as an explosive from what I remember of Canada Customs regulations ...