Replacing V Brake rear cable

fergy1987

Replacing V Brake rear cable

Postby fergy1987 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 am

So my trusty flat bar needs a new rear V brake cable as well as new housing as the current one is rusting. However I am tossing up if I should do this job myself or just take it to the LBS and get it over and done with no fuss.

Currently not the most mechanical person and would need to buy all the parts as well as cable cutters so that cost is seeming a bit more excessive than just paying the shop.

My main concern is the cable is internally routed through the frame and I'm not quite sure how well its routed or how hard internal cables actually are to replace. I have watched some videos, but they tend to make it look easier than it is :P

The bike is an Avanti Blade with what I assume are just your standard V brakes - Is anyone able to advise what type of cables and housing would be best suited for the job?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

ValleyForge

Re: Replacing V Brake rear cable

Postby ValleyForge » Tue May 29, 2018 10:23 am

If the rear is rusting, the front should be done as well (inner & outer). And while you're at it, the gear cables probably too.

Internal cables are generally easy to replace unless you have all ready pulled them out. Which isn't funny. If you don't want to spring for the Rolls-Royce of cable tools - https://www.parktool.com/product/intern ... ory=Brakes, then you can rely on back-loading the new cable along the old cable.

Cable sets aren't expensive and a good pair of tinsnips cuts cable quite adequately FWIW.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue May 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Tell us where you are and I'm sure someone here will offer to help you for a beer or two. It's not rocket surgery.

What sort of cables: you'll need inners with MTB style heads, though many kits are universal (inner cable has a MTB head at one end and a road head at the other. Outers are fairly generic so pick your favourite colour. Stainless steel inners might be nice if you want them to not rust.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Well I cant actually believe how hard it is to get outer cable in White! - Plenty of black, or white for road bikes, but nothing that is suitable for my bike :P

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Outer cable doesn't know what bike it's on. ;-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 am

Well I have decided that who cares about outer cable colour :P and if black is the most common colour, might as well put it on and eventually all cables will end up black once I replace all cables.

Question however, I bought a V Brake noodle online and didn't realise it was a 110 degree noodle. The noodle is for the rear V Brakes which I thought were supposed to be 90 degrees? - Is this 110 degree going to be alright? or should I pick up a 90 degree noodle? Thanks everyone!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 am

I've 'reshaped' the odd noodle. If you are careful you can probably gently bend it to the shape that suits your bike. Just don't go too nuts, there is a change you could kink it which will mean it's a bin job.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm

bychosis wrote:I've 'reshaped' the odd noodle. If you are careful you can probably gently bend it to the shape that suits your bike. Just don't go too nuts, there is a change you could kink it which will mean it's a bin job.
:lol: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

headasunder

Postby headasunder » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:38 am

[/quote]
:lol: If it's not broken, don't fix it.[/quote]

This, dont bother trying to bend it

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:44 am

headasunder wrote:
:lol: If it's not broken, don't fix it.

This, dont bother trying to bend it
True. I’ve only bent the occasional one because the standard shape did not suit the cable run for that bike. A slight manual bend may improve the cable routing.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Well it's gone pear shaped. The outer seems to run through the whole frame and all the tricks don't work...I've got no cables in there to run anything off so I'm basically screwed lol

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:12 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Well it's gone pear shaped. The outer seems to run through the whole frame and all the tricks don't work...I've got no cables in there to run anything off so I'm basically screwed lol
The vacuum cleaner & cotton thread trick really does work. But the ParkTool kit is easier.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Success!!!! Turns out there is a stupid grommet on the frame that can be ripped out, 1 broken bloody fingernail later and a screwdriver with some force and it was out! Turned the bike upside down, tweezers to pull the outer cable out and I was on my way. 2 hours for one cable haha

Thanks so much for everyone's help! Now let's never speak of this again haha.