changing a QR seat

ShanDog

changing a QR seat

Postby ShanDog » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:53 pm

Hey,

I finally got my bike back after 3.5 mths and I have some new top quality locks for my bike but the only thing I can't lock with them is the QR seat. Was just wondering if there is an easy way to convert it from QR to something else? I almost never adjust my seat once its positioned so QR isn't really an issue for me.

Cheers,
Shan

MJF

Postby MJF » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:12 pm

You could probably cannibalise parts from an older bike (everything these days is QR), but they do sell short & thin lock cable sections just for the purpose of locking seats.

Otherwise, carefully cut the lever off the QR, and use a spanner on the sides and whatever fits the other end (mine takes a hex driver).

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:04 pm

How about those quick releases that need a special tool? Sure, the skewer will be too long, but you just take that off the skewer and screw it onto your existing seat skewer ... either that or use a bolt :roll:

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:06 pm

Head to the LBS and ask for "The Strangler" by BBB or something similar. An Allen key is a bit more secure than a QR.

Shaun

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:04 am

Some nice replies. The strangler looks to be the best option. Anyone in sydney know which bike shop would supply one?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:15 am

You can thread a cable through the rails of the seat, which will make it harder to pinch.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:26 am

Yeah I thought about putting in a cable but I already have two locks that I spent a decent amount of money on and I'd rather not go out and get a third one and then have to carry it around as well. I figured there'd be an easy way to convert the QR

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Dunno about Sydney but BBB is pretty popular in many Melbourne shops. It shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Shaun

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:44 pm

I found a supplier but they have three different sizes of the clamp. I was just wondering is the size based on the seat post thickness coming from the seat or the thickness of the seat post on the frame of the bike?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:56 pm

Now you've got me :oops:

I'd hazard a guess it's the seat post diameter not the seat tube itself, but I wouldn't be suprised if that's wrong.

If you've found a stockist, couldn't you just roll thru the door, point and say "Can you replace this with a strangler please?"

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:03 pm

I found an online stockist :roll:
From what I can see, the seat post goes inside the post on the frame and the clamp sits on the end of the post of the frame and squashes that around the seat post.

Don't know when I'll have time to go into a bike shop and take in my QR clamp. Maybe I'll just take off my clamp, measure it and just hazard a guess.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Pull the seatpost out of the frame and have a read, most posts have a fair bit of info etched into them, don't forget to grease the post when you put it back if you have to clean it to see :wink:

Shaun

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:06 am

You should be able to buy a 'seat post bolt' (a double-ended hex / Allen key headed thingy) that will directly replace the quick release of your current clamp - but it will be a matter of taking your clamp in to a shop and asking.
In the mean time, why not mark your seat post at the right height and just take your seat with you?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:30 am

I think I might just have to take my clamp in to a bike shop, it'll definately save the hassle of a wrong fitting and having to exchange the part.
LuckyPierre wrote:In the mean time, why not mark your seat post at the right height and just take your seat with you?
When I go to work I don't even need to lock my bike up because I can have it in the office nice and safe. My worry is when I go to uni. I have got two top end locks and I lock my bike in an out of the way place that still has a high number of people going past, that is also directly outside a few of my classes. The problem with taking the seat is I'm already lugging a full backpack around uni with my books and notes, plus sometimes my laptop bag. so I feel I'm already carrying around enough stuff. What I can probably do however is take the seat off and just lock it at the front wheel in the lock.

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:32 am

With my older MTB I was able to just replace the quick release system with a bolt that had a five sided allen key head. The kit included front and rear wheel skewers as well as the special 5 sided allen key to undo them with. My very new MTB has a different shaped quick release lever which means I would have to buy a whole different type of clamp. Probably the one we are talking about at the moment. So to avoid confusion and possibly wasted money, go for a ride to your local bike shop to ensure you get the correct one. My old bike was cromoly and the new one is aluminium. Perhaps the different frame materials require a different clamping system. More than likely to go easy on the aluminium.