The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Ancientflatulence

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Ancientflatulence » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 pm

39x25 wrote:

This dumbass apparently left his/her house thinking the beanie that kept his/her head warm was a helmet and left the helmet on the table.

I almost did it the other day lol.
Was about to ride away from the car when noticed I was lacking chin strap.
Testament to helmet being as comfortable as any hat.
Brings to mind another dumbass the other day who rode 500m down the road to see a friend , had a cup of tea and a yarn and wondered why he couldn't find his helmet when it was time to go home ............. :oops:

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:02 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Wasn't a good time to ride a horse while there was a race on, I'm wondering if the local residents were informed.

The horse rider should of been riding to the left, being in the middle of the lane meant that the individual cyclists had to cross the centre line to give good clearance. Yes I understand the need to claim the road, but this wasn't the right time to do it.

With the cyclist to the left I'm guessing that he went down the left as an evasive action to avoid hitting the horse or a cyclist, possibly only the cyclist will know
According to this Facebook post, the rider wasn't informed of the event: https://www.facebook.com/Idiotukdrivers ... 413381670/ .

I agree the horse rider could have been a little further left, that's no excuse for passing on the left and hitting the horse rider. The cyclist could have easily slowed down and passed on the right.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Moron ped this evening (female, late 20s early 30s guessing) dressed in black from head to toe walks across the road while staring at mobile phone screen at local shopping centre approximately 3m from a pedestrian crossing if that.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 am

Going down hill, cyclist in left wheel track. I am rolling past on the right of the right wheel track when old mate swerved across the road. I use my voice to warn him & get abused for not ringing my bell.

1 km later he passes me when going uphill, so I ask what no bell? His answer was that rule only applies going downhill :roll:

Met a 2nd dumb cyclist when I got to work & looked in the mirror - had left my laptop at home. Fortunately SWMBO is bringing it in

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 am

find_bruce wrote:Going down hill, cyclist in left wheel track. I am rolling past on the right of the right wheel track when old mate swerved across the road. I use my voice to warn him & get abused for not ringing my bell.

1 km later he passes me when going uphill, so I ask what no bell? His answer was that rule only applies going downhill :roll:

Met a 2nd dumb cyclist when I got to work & looked in the mirror - had left my laptop at home. Fortunately SWMBO is bringing it in
Who says there are any such rules as that? All the better to call out instead as you did. The bell complaint was just an excuse. I'm sure if you'd rang the bell you'd have got a blunt four letter expletive instead.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 am

g-boaf wrote:Who says there are any such rules at that? All the better to call out instead as you did. The bell complaint was just an excuse. I'm sure if you'd rang the bell you'd have got a blunt four letter expletive instead.
Yep - it only exists in the big book of made up road rules. Seeing as my audible warning device is an airzound, I only use it when my voice is insufficient

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:40 am

Compulsory bell fitment causes more trouble and confusion than it's worth.

Bell requirement should be dropped and just replaced by rule to give audible warning when overtaking in same lane, which can be bell, voice, whistle, drum...
Other warnings such as "oy group of 6 people get on the left half of the divided path and let everyone else past" are optional (shared path direction rules should be enforced).

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 am

Two gents riding along having a great old time chatting away side by side on the share path this morning.

Use of bell elicited no response. "Excuse me... Thankyou" got them to move over so I could continue on. I then pulled over to take a photo of an issue to submit to council and they passed by again, continuing on their merry way across the whole width of path with no idea I'd caught up again. "Excuse me again..." **sigh**
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:His answer was that rule only applies going downhill :roll:
Are you fair dinkum? Did he really say that in seriousness? Can you get a ruling on the flat for me? :lol:

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:11 pm

bychosis wrote:Two gents riding along having a great old time chatting away side by side on the share path this morning.

Use of bell elicited no response. "Excuse me... Thankyou" got them to move over so I could continue on. I then pulled over to take a photo of an issue to submit to council and they passed by again, continuing on their merry way across the whole width of path with no idea I'd caught up again. "Excuse me again..." **sigh**
I'm in two minds on this one. It is annoying that they didn't hear (or ignored) your bell, but then it's hard to be too upset at two people riding their bikes and chatting on a share path.

BobtheBuilder

Postby BobtheBuilder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:16 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:it's hard to be too upset at two people riding their bikes and chatting on a share path.
Totally agree. Bikes are for fun and share paths are not ersatz freeways for high-speed cycling.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:it's hard to be too upset at two people riding their bikes and chatting on a share path.
Totally agree. Bikes are for fun and share paths are not ersatz freeways for high-speed cycling.
I agree too. Whilst I was a little annoyed, it in no way ruined my day. I wasn't high speed cycling (20-25km/h) either and waited behind them for a bit both times. I guess I sorta expected them to look behind at some point considering I'd passed them fairly quickly before. They could have guessed I'd do it again.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:37 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:
How is riding two-by-two across a narrow path and ignoring polite requests to move over sharing the path?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:12 pm

fat and old wrote:
Are you fair dinkum? Did he really say that in seriousness? Can you get a ruling on the flat for me? :lol:
I can't guarantee that he believes it, & its not a word for word transcript - there were a few colourful adjectives thrown in as well - but yep that's the gist of what he actually said. He is in all probability one of those people who can tell you all the made up rules as to why everyone else must give way to him. I'm just glad he wasn't in a motor vehicle.

I expect his ruling on the flat is, like the uphill/downhill distinction, a situation question - if anybody passes him on the flat, bells must be rung, if he is passing someone, bells are unnecessary.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:48 pm

find_bruce wrote:
fat and old wrote:
I can't guarantee that he believes it, & its not a word for word transcript - there were a few colourful adjectives thrown in as well - but yep that's the gist of what he actually said. He is in all probability one of those people who can tell you all the made up rules as to why everyone else must give way to him. I'm just glad he wasn't in a motor vehicle.

I expect his ruling on the flat is, like the uphill/downhill distinction, a situation question - if anybody passes him on the flat, bells must be rung, if he is passing someone, bells are unnecessary.
Had a friendly :wink: banter with one of these bells guys a few weeks ago. The one that wears the Hawthorn jersey on the Midland PSP for those in Perth. My son first told me about him a few months ago when he was chased by him yelling that he needs to ring his bell when he passes. So the other day i pass this guy who rings rings his bell when im just pass him. I turn around and ask if the ring was directed at me,. which it was and then the rant began on me not ringing a bell. Went on for a few ks as i was having a good laugh at this moron. Any way left him and slowed/stopped for the zebra crossing at the Bayswater train station. Train had just left so heaps of peds leaving but found a gap so headed off, next thing ding ding ding, ding-a-ling comes flying pass yelling that had i rang a bell i wouldn't off had to stop :shock: . Yep ring his bell and all the peds have to give way to him. So i tried telling him the rules of zebra crossings which went in one ear and out the other as ringing a bell was all he could manage to discuss at one time. He even went as far to jump in front and get me on his rear camera :lol: . So i sat on his wheel smiling for awhile which really pissed him off :lol:. Apparently i was harassing him :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:22 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:
When they are going side by side coming up to a blind corner and I'm going the other way, for sure I'm going to tell them to move over.

That's what sharing is about. Ride side by side elsewhere, but not on the approaches to blind corners.

Otherwise, if they are going the same direction as I am I usually don't care too much.

Daus

Postby Daus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:04 am

bychosis wrote:Two gents riding along having a great old time chatting away side by side on the share path this morning.

Sadly I can relate to this- being profoundly deaf in one ear and due to long term exposure to steam turbines cannot hear some frequencies in the other as a result cannot hear bells or beeping alert noises such as the warning chimes on the home security system. I have on the occasion apologised to passing cyclists. Many aging people suffer from industrial deafness and have similar issues, I can hear male voices clearly so calling out is more likely to produce a response, bells are ineffective at the best of times.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 pm

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 am

A few guys on bikes were in front of me. They had just pulled out from a coffee shop. Most were turning left. I was next to one turning right. I told the one turning right to ask his mates to turn their lights on as it was still before sunrise. I was called some very colourful words which would get me banned from here

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Yesterday along Sylvan Road I had two riders riding towards me, i.e into oncoming car/bike traffic, I put my hand up to say 'Say What" and shook my head and they both looked sheepish, they were proper roadies too, all the gear so should know better....... :roll:

I know who they are from Strava flybys, and could see they were only on the road between intersections, so around 150m in total, but still, gives us all a bad name

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:20 pm

jasonc wrote:A few guys on bikes were in front of me. They had just pulled out from a coffee shop. Most were turning left. I was next to one turning right. I told the one turning right to ask his mates to turn their lights on as it was still before sunrise. I was called some very colourful words which would get me banned from here
There's nothing wrong with what you did, but I find most people don't like being told what to do. In that situation I'd say something like, "You guys probably should put your lights on". If a rear light isn't on, I assume they don't know, and say something like, "Do you know your rear light isn't working?"

There's no excuse for them responding like they did, though.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:08 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:There's no excuse for them responding like they did, though.
some people are too pro for lights. what they don't realise is lights are so people can see you, not so you can see

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:20 pm

jasonc wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:There's no excuse for them responding like they did, though.
some people are too pro for lights. what they don't realise is lights are so people can see you, not so you can see
They're for both purposes.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:00 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote: I know who they are from Strava flybys, and could see they were only on the road between intersections, so around 150m in total, but still, gives us all a bad name
To be honest I've got a section of road near me where I do that a couple of times per week, but only like 15 metres. Saves me doing a nasty right hand turn in traffic if it's busy.

Wommara Ave between Golding Ave and Railway Cres, in the section shown in the streetview below. Out of the access road on the right of the image, around the bus stop and the cement drain (me on the wrong side of the road), before ducking into Railway Cres (which leads straight to the local bike path).

Depending on the bike and the day, sometimes I ride across the grass instead. :D

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.020 ... 6656?hl=en
Last edited by uart on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Riding into Brisbane CBD from the north, along the North Brisbane Bikeway. I came up to the left hand corner just south of the ICB spiral ramp, towards the crossing of Campbell Street. I encountered about a bajillion pedestrians heading towards me on the path, totally blocking it.

I then realised that they all work in the small office/medical building on Campbell St, and were being evacuated - I could hear the evacuation alarm going off.

Their evacuation plan is obviously to walk up the path to the biggish flat gravel area near the creek. They weren't doing anything particularly objectionable, but they filled the entire path. I slowed right down and they got out of my way - apologetically in most cases.