Riding in the rain

ShanDog

Riding in the rain

Postby ShanDog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:49 pm

What are peoples opinions on riding in the rain?
Because I live far from work and uni, since I've gotten my bike back I drive a part of the way and then ride the rest and vice versa on the way back. But I can still drive the whole way if I want. Anyway, just checked the 'ol weather report for tomorrow in sydney and its supposed to be some showers. I really really wanted to ride but dunno if I should if it rains. also, how durable is the average bike in the wetness? any post-rain specific maintenance things I should be aware of?

Cheers,
Shannon

MJF

Postby MJF » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:03 pm

Depending on your chain lube, it might wash off. Brake shoes wear at a phenomenal rate when wet. Water *might* get into hubs and bottom bracket if not sealed, and the old style hollow seat tubes with a non-sealed bottom bracket is a great way to feed water and grit into the bottom bracket. And water will get into the rims. Other than that, just wash the dirt/mud off after a ride and re-lube the chain when appropriate.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Wash and relube after a "dirty" ride. No harm done when bikes are all alloy/plastic these days. The problem with what you are doing is that should it have poured, you'll have to contend with wet cloths at Uni or in the car. It's irritating to say the least. Yet again, if you are dedicated...
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:05 pm

I ride.

The major issue is saftey, ie reduced visability of motorists.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Must have glasses to keep water out of eyes
Dirt gets on your lips / water bottle without mudguards
Lots of fun in light to medium showers
Need raincoat / change of clothes
Chance computer / lights will get damaged

Riding in the rain is fun (increased danger though), and if its unpredictable and you have the right equipment there is no reason that you shouldn't.

In heavy rain or excessively rainy periods i'd probably not want to wipe down / clean my bike daily so consider jogging instead.

Another alternative is to have a second -0 less high quality "rain" bike that you ride when its wet so you don't have to be so pedantic about rain damage / cleaning.

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:11 am

My most amazing riding experience came on a night where I was hammered by some unexpected rain on the m2. My body went into overdrive as I battled against the elements. I do however wish that I had some glasses!
Anthony.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:22 am

gururug wrote:Must have glasses to keep water out of eyes
And not your everyday prescription glasses. I got myself Rudys with the clip ins, and in the rain one day, darn they helped. Can't see a thing with rain/mist/whatever on my regular glasses. :P

tuco

Re: Riding in the rain

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:41 am

sbra9635 wrote:What are peoples opinions on riding in the rain?
I got caught out in the rain a few times during our wet season and it's caused problems. Only last week and the week before I had the bike in the shop having rust cleaned out of the bottom bracket and at the top of the front forks. Both times when I picked it up the lbs guys asked if I'd been riding in the rain. I could hardly say no but they were good enough to fix it for free under the warranty.

Next wet season I'll stick to the trainer.

It's the dry season now and we'll be lucky to see any rain until September or October now.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:04 am

The heavens opened right up while I was riding this morning. I gunned it over Anzac bridge on the big ring to get out of it as quickly as possible.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 am

mikesbytes wrote:The heavens opened right up while I was riding this morning. I gunned it over Anzac bridge on the big ring to get out of it as quickly as possible.
Oh yeah tell me about it! I was driving in to work at glebe and when I got to ryde it just poured down! I was just thinking (AT)#$%(AT)%$(AT)&(AT)%(AT)#!! with my bike in the back rearing to go for a ride. The whole way, I could see a rider every so often and I was thinking to myself 'do I want to be him right now?'. By the time I got near the Anzac bridge it calmed down a bit and I thought that I damn well wanted to be him. Pulled over and rode to work. Drenched when I got to work but it was damn well worth it!

I've found that since I started riding to work, I can't wait till the end of the day just so I can ride again. It sucks that I live so far away because I have to drive the last leg of my trip. Once I get a faster bike I'll ride a longer distance.

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Rain? -it's just water - it won't harm you.

Mudgards - not sexy but the Falcon fixie has a a nice pair of yellow Bluemels and various other bikes have worn black SKS mudguards.

Remembers back to a 600 km Audax ride many years back when it
p!$$ed down for at least 3/4 of the distance ie 450 km - I lived to tell the tale.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm

531db wrote:Rain? -it's just water - it won't harm you
I don't mind if I get hurt as long as my bike is fine :P

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:00 pm

We don't tend to get much rain, but the tourer is fitted with full mudguards. I ride with booties over sandals and a wet weather jacket. I also need the glasses with clear lenses for keeping the rain out of my eyes.

I run sealed MTB gear and the chain has car engine oil for lube, which I use a rag to wipe and clean.

Riding in the rain is fun :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:37 pm

Speaking of rain, is it blasphemous to ask whether you can get mudguards for a carbon forked modern roadbike ? :)

I don't mind riding in the rain, but the mudguards will help a lot (previous experience)

Any help.... ?

Cheers

Michael B

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:54 pm

You can get little plastic clip-on mudguards, but they're nowhere near as good as full coverage fenders.

You can probably fit a full rear mudguard then get a clip on one for the downtube on the front. Doesn't work if you turn the wheel by much.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:31 pm

anyone else in sydney have to ride through the sudden deluge that just started? I hope it clears by 6 or i'm stuffed. Because I just got my bike back from the lbs I also forgot my damn lights. Riding in the dark, in the rain, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. This is what its all about! :twisted:

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Looking at the doppler radar, it's going to continue for a while yet. You are probably better off catching public transport unless you like to get a soak. Good luck!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:34 pm

sbra9635 wrote:anyone else in sydney have to ride through the sudden deluge that just started? I hope it clears by 6 or i'm stuffed. Because I just got my bike back from the lbs I also forgot my damn lights. Riding in the dark, in the rain, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. This is what its all about! :twisted:
So how did it go? :)
Anthony.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 pm

It was absolutely pouring. Was so much fun though. Makes you feel alive :shock: My only regret was wearing a white jumper whilst having a bike sans mud guards haha. When I got to my car I had to strip to my boxers because there was so much mud on my back that I didn't want in on my car seat hahaha...

Actually, I also regret forgetting my lights, but I was sticking only to pedestrian paths so I felt a little safer. I think I will avoid riding until the rain stops again. I hope it doesn't rain on the weekend though, I wanna hit some trails on the mountains.

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 pm

Good stuff mate :)
Anthony.