OT Rapid weight loss - Biggest Loser - a few harsh facts

gdl_gdl

OT Rapid weight loss - Biggest Loser - a few harsh facts

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:26 pm

For anybody who is encouraged to think that rapid weight loss is the way to go (and with TV shows like Biggest Loser promoting such behaviour) a few words from Health experts that might make you re-consider.....

Biggest Loser

Cheers,

Gary

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:46 pm

The Sydney Morning Herald had a similar article today too. Saying that it is giving unrealistic expectations of weight loss and that it just isn't possible to exercise for the amount that they did on the show.
Anthony.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:43 pm

It's easy to lose weight like that, all you need is months away from home, work and family and an instructor, dietician and medic right to hand to make sure you don't kill yourself trying :roll:

I think I'd rather just ride...

pospete

Postby pospete » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:It's easy to lose weight like that, all you need is months away from home, work and family and an instructor, dietician and medic right to hand to make sure you don't kill yourself trying :roll:

Yes I'dd rather ride too, unfortunatly though I'll just have to cycle! :lol:
Talk to the hand

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:18 pm

*hunting for a suitably disciplinary smiley*

I can see you're not the Messiah... :twisted:

Shaun

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:It's easy to lose weight like that, all you need is months away from home, work and family and an instructor, dietician and medic right to hand to make sure you don't kill yourself trying :roll:

:lol:

Yea i hear ya , i've given the strict dieting a bit of a miss for the last few weeks, as a result i've only lost .3kg's but the shape of the jelly belly is changing and i feel much stronger on the bike so i'm consoling myself and putting it down to muscle gain. I'm sure that the body needs some time to re-establish itself every so often, after all it needs to deconstruct all the blood vessels etc. When the new bike comp turns up i'm going to revamp the approach and make use of all those features and get back to calorie counting!

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:54 pm

OK, now i'm worried im going too hard.

What is a level thats not too rapid, say 2pts bmi per month?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:02 pm

I've read somewhere that a kg a week is good, sustainable loss. You may go a bit more early on as you harden up a bit. My best ever about 12 years back was about 2.2, but most of that was prolly sweat :?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:05 pm

I once lost 7.5kgs in a week. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone else get food poisoning as well haha :D

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:29 am

As my other half watches this show in turn I end up watching it. This time there is a difference compared with past series. Bob and Jillian Trained the contestents for weight lose and muscle gain where the two aussie trainers are training for weight lose alone, not healthy at all! This is the reason why I think Bob and Jillian came back for one week. The guy that is leading atm has lose a major amount of weight but does not look like good weight lost. His arms are tiny when they should be getting defination.

I look at this show atm and thing give it two months after the final and they will be big again!

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:33 am

beauyboy wrote:I look at this show atm and thing give it two months after the final and they will be big again!
I think (at least in regards to the top two/three contestants) that they have a private deal in the contract to keep them training for a while after the show. That way when they get media contracts like with that pedro guy for subway, it still looks like they've kept the weight off. Then once they become nobody's and they're not making any money for the network anymore they'll probably get dumped and get big again.

Shannon

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:44 am

You guys actually watch that show?!? :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 am

sogood wrote:You guys actually watch that show?!? :shock:
I agree, it's a tragic waste of air time but then that's coming from someone who hardly watches TV unless it involves sport.

If the produces really wanted to help people rather than making so called 'entertainment' then they'd follow the lives of people over 6 to 12 months showing how they can make easy adjustments to their lives and still lose weight.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:07 am

My kids (8 & 6) and my wife watch it. The wife & I take great effort to instruct the kids that this is NOT the way to lose weight, and that the contestants are likely to be doing long term damage to themselves. Hopefully, it will sink in.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:24 am

The ultimate aim is to be as healthy as possible. Removing excess fat is one component of health.

Personally I believe that it is better to loose the fat gradually, rather than suddenly.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:33 am

haha only once a week because when I get home on mondays the first thing i do is watch tv for an hour to unwind before doing something else and it just happens to be on.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:08 pm

I can't stand watching TV :D The best show from the TV I ever saw was when I stuffed it down the toilet while it was running. The fireworks show was amazing. :shock:

rider06

Postby rider06 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:29 pm

I don't really watch the show, however if jillian wanted to come over and help me train i would have no complaints whatsoever...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:11 pm

Only 'cos the GLW won't let me light the XBox.

pospete

Postby pospete » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:15 pm

sbra9635 wrote:I once lost 7.5kgs in a week. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone else get food poisoning as well haha :D

Yes well, for a different reason, been there allready! which is actually bizarre when I got really sick, I weighed just under 60Kgs, and it's taken me 2 years to get my weight up again
Talk to the hand

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:11 am

pospete wrote:
sbra9635 wrote:I once lost 7.5kgs in a week. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone else get food poisoning as well haha :D

Yes well, for a different reason, been there allready! which is actually bizarre when I got really sick, I weighed just under 60Kgs, and it's taken me 2 years to get my weight up again
I actually had a similar situation. although it only took me 7 mths to get back. It's funny how you kinda get stuck below your normal weight.

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:17 am

It's funny how you kinda get stuck below your normal weight.
:( I seem to have the opposite problem in that I get stuck above my normal weight.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:57 am

sbra9635 wrote:
haha only once a week because when I get home on mondays the first thing i do is watch tv for an hour to unwind before doing something else and it just happens to be on.
Try a different channel next time! :wink:

There are 4 other free to air or 6 free to air digital channels to choose from. Surely anything is better than that show, even the Simpsons. 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:34 pm

sbra9635 wrote:
pospete wrote:

I actually had a similar situation. although it only took me 7 mths to get back. It's funny how you kinda get stuck below your normal weight.

Yup, , of course with my Viral load being so high, pre meds, probably not helping. Being 6ft 3, and weighing 60kgs, I looked like a stick( but a very goodlooking stick :wink: ) Yes it took a long time to get the weight back to normalish
Talk to the hand

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:35 pm

sogood wrote:
sbra9635 wrote:
Try a different channel next time! :wink:

There are 4 other free to air or 6 free to air digital channels to choose from. Surely anything is better than that show, even the Simpsons. 8)
I don't want to sound "ist" about something, but I figure I see enough obese people on the train that I just can't( forgive the pun) stomach watching them on the idiot fish tank when there's far better quality programs such as

1 King of the Hill
2 Simpsons
3 Futurama

:lol:
Talk to the hand