How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:24 pm

RobertL wrote:
caneye wrote:i wasn't day-dreaming or deep in thought whilst cycling. i could remember details if i forced myself to. but the day just blended into another winter commuting day ..
I'm going out on a limb and calling winter over here in Brisbane. It was 9 degrees overnight, so still cool. Tonight it will only get down to 15, and then the rest of next week it is all around 11 or 12.

So that's it - the cold weather has gone. I'm certain.
you know there is always one more cold snap after this.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:23 pm

caneye wrote:pretty ho-hum meh type of commute. nothing out of the ordinary. friday and cold.

ever had 1 of those commuting days when you're taking the shower at work and wondering ... gee, how the heck did i get here???

i wasn't day-dreaming or deep in thought whilst cycling. i could remember details if i forced myself to. but the day just blended into another winter commuting day ..
I was wondering why I was at work today. Is that the same?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:51 pm

I had my last commute today for almost 6 weeks, because on Tuesday I fly to France, and will soon after that spend 4 weeks cycling through the Pyrénées. :D No more anti-cyclist harassment for a while, at least.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:38 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:I had my last commute today for almost 6 weeks, because on Tuesday I fly to France, and will soon after that spend 4 weeks cycling through the Pyrénées. :D
OH POOR YOU :cry: :cry: :wink:

Put the spring kit on this morning, realised it was 5c and made alternative arrangements, jamming and busting a zip in the process, yay. My multitool was called upon, but only by a colleague assembling a sit-stand desk ...

Nice still ride by the river, bit slow but otherwise no complaints.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:49 am

got caught in morning showers on the way in. now i know why the rider ahead of me had his raincoat and over-shoes on. he must've checked the radar before he left.
anyway, stopped under the bridge, put on the raincoat.
resumed commute... and no more rain. grrr ... commute the rest of the way in thermal discomfort.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm relatively new to commuting to/from work - so still trying to tweak it to avoid the trickier bits. Managed to find a small detour that avoids a tight road and where I need to accelerate hard to keep up with the merging traffic.

Btw, does any one else need to do a climb on their commute?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm

BugsBunny wrote:Btw, does any one else need to do a climb on their commute?
I'm in Brisbane. There's barely any flat roads here.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:21 pm

BugsBunny wrote:Btw, does any one else need to do a climb on their commute?
I do, my round-trip commute is 62.5km with about 750m climbing, because I live in a hilly suburb of Melbourne. Not that I'm complaining: I deliberately moved there to increase my commuting distance and climbing.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Rob/Cyclo

That interesting. I was always under the impression that most bike commuters would be on flat routes. I have that picture in my head of commuters cycling in Copenhagen. :-)

I love my climbs but this morning I was feeling a bit lethargic and running a bit late so still in a dizzy haze. Literally 3 min after I start my ride, I have to do a climb of 130m over 1.6km. Takes about 11 min so not terribly long - but long enough! :-)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Bugs - I have mt coottha on the way to work as a detour. 2.2 at 9% is always good for everything. Hurts when the back pack on

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Was fairly cool and overcast this morning. Abou t half way to work I spied a rainbow in the clouds and wondered if it was going to rain today as I hadn’t check the forecast. Yup, rained all day so I chickened out and got a lift home.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:47 pm

BugsBunny wrote: Btw, does any one else need to do a climb on their commute?
my current place of work means a relatively short and flat 14km commute. but .. i've found a couple of pinches (10-15%) that's short but sharp, maybe 50-100m long. you'll hear me panting, gasping for breath and cursing under my breath every morning. but i still return for more .. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:55 am

Drenched. Started dry then wet roads, then drizzle, then heavy drizzle. Wet. Now it's blue skies outside

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 am

"It's getting harder!" :-)

I'm coming up with all sorts of excuses not to commute into work in the morning now. That dreaded climb and the heat ~ 28 celsius.

I sat on the couch for about 20 min - putting it off. It took some courage to just go out and do it.

Bugs

simurs4

Postby simurs4 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:29 pm

I am currently in the process of planning a commute route to my new work place in Munich.
Back in Melbourne my commute would be anywhere from 40-60km one way, depending on the mood when I woke up that day but I am a little bit further away from my new job.
At the moment the shortest route I have plotted is 62km, but I wouldn`t be doing it everyday, can`t be bothered anymore and plus we are going to start heading into proper Winter here, not like Melbourne were you can ride 365 days in the year as it never gets that cold.
I have tested my route, one a weekend and it should be feasbile. Most of it is on quiet country roads with some little hills dotted around but it should make for a truly lovely commute.
Best thing is that most traffic is on the Autobahn to Munich so alot of the back roads are generally quiet, definately a plus!

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Bonjour à tous! << waves >>

Can I just state for the record how much I enjoy NOT having to commute to work today?
I'm in Toulouse (Blagnac) now and will be in the Pyrénées later today...

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Things to do
1. ride 100 miles - check
2. ride to Wollongong, kiama and Newcastle - check
3. Ride North, west, middle, east, sydney and blue mountains - check
4. Mountainbiking at night - check
5. Attacked by Magpies - Check
6. Ride drenched in rain, ice rain, on roads full of tiny cube ices - just checked it today on my commute

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:53 pm

opik_bidin wrote:Things to do
1. ride 100 miles - check
2. ride to Wollongong, kiama and Newcastle - check
3. Ride North, west, middle, east, sydney and blue mountains - check
4. Mountainbiking at night - check
5. Attacked by Magpies - Check
6. Ride drenched in rain, ice rain, on roads full of tiny cube ices - just checked it today on my commute
That sounds unpleasant

kb

Postby kb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:20 pm

Still have a bit of a cold but it was about time for a low intensity week anyway. Put on new tyres at work. Ahh... :-)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:Bonjour à tous! << waves >>

Can I just state for the record how much I enjoy NOT having to commute to work today?
Bonsoir! Have fun over there - I'm already missing France badly. It is a lovely place to ride in and I don't think I've ever encountered such incredibly welcoming and friendly people.

My commute has a magpie along the route now. I can avoid it by taking a detour, but it's a nuisance.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:Bonjour à tous! << waves >>

Bonsoir! Have fun over there - I'm already missing France badly. It is a lovely place to ride in and I don't think I've ever encountered such incredibly welcoming and friendly people.

My commute has a magpie along the route now. I can avoid it by taking a detour, but it's a nuisance.
Nah, magpies danger are overrated, I'm always attacked but just brush it off as I have my motorcycle helmet on.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Interesting commute, got about half way to work when I realised my helmet was on the other bike.

Thankfully no harm done, the only thing the helmet protects is my wallet and any police seemed to not notice :D

Wonderful to ride around without a lump of foam on my head, and it was quite noticeable that cars gave me a wider berth and less cars tried to dash out in front of me when I had right of way.

If it wasn't for the threat of a fine I'd discard the lid once and for all.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:33 am

^ Sort of related, first week this side of winter I've left my jacket at home/in my bag. It's a small thing but attracts a couple of enjoyment points.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am

First ride in a while without my gilet

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:27 pm

opik_bidin wrote:
Nah, magpies danger are overrated, I'm always attacked but just brush it off as I have my motorcycle helmet on.
i wouldn't trivialise magpies danger. you only have to search for the number of eye injuries caused by magpies in the past few years. children are also especially vulnerable. and i've had them swooping on my dog too.

not everyone cycle with motorbike helmet :)