Moron Motorists #3

Thoglette

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Thoglette » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Put a grace period into the software then. How hard can that be?
Let's ask the expert
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Sully

Postby Sully » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:00 pm

We got done a couple of years ago. Three days over. Forgot to pay the bill, the misus paid it on her phone immediately but we still got the fine.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:25 am

Still not obeying of drink and text drive laws.

From ABC News.
Driver allegedly drunk and texting at time of Kellyville pedestrian crash
Police say a woman who crashed into four pedestrians at Kellyville in Sydney's north-west last night was drunk and texting on her mobile phone when the accident happened.

Just before 9:30pm emergency services were called to Hezlett Road after the 50-year-old driver hit four members of one family.

A four-year-old girl was in a critical condition, and her mother and aunt were both in hospital suffering serious injuries. The girl's father was also taken to hospital.

The driver of the car has been charged with three counts of dangerous driving, one of negligent driving, mid-range drink driving and using a mobile phone while driving.

She has been granted conditional bail to face court again on October 10.

Police have urged witnesses or anyone with dashcam footage to come forward.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:14 am

Thoglette wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Put a grace period into the software then. How hard can that be?
Let's ask the expert
LOL, so true

The problem seems to be mainly with forgetting to pay the rego. In NSW no longer having the sticker means many are forgetting to pay so I think NSW has created email and/or sms reminders
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

I got a close pass today, and after I yelled at her, was told off for riding in the middle of the road. I told her I don't need to keep left on a multi-lane road (I really wish I had a good enough memory that I could say, "Australian Road Rule 129, look it up"). No idea if it sunk in.

I think part of the problem (from her point of view) was that if she hadn't squeezed past me, she probably would have missed getting through the green light up ahead. But if I hadn't got on the road in the first place, and had instead tried to ride on the footpath while dodging pedestrians, I probably would have missed the green light. That's how it goes: I was there first, so I'm the one who gets through the light.

Those who cyber-stalk me will know that I've previously said I've commuted by bike 4+ years without a single angry word from a driver. That streak ended today. Ah well, I still think 99% of drivers do the right thing, it's just a pity I encountered the 1% this morning.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:I got a close pass today, and after I yelled at her, was told off for riding in the middle of the road. I told her I don't need to keep left on a multi-lane road (I really wish I had a good enough memory that I could say, "Australian Road Rule 129, look it up"). No idea if it sunk in.

I think part of the problem (from her point of view) was that if she hadn't squeezed past me, she probably would have missed getting through the green light up ahead.
Hi Peter. If it's a multi-lane road and you're "taking the lane" on the left, then surely she had to change lanes to pass anyway?

I see this a lot, a driver has to change lanes to pass a cyclist who's taking the left lane in a multi-lane road. However they pointlessly close pass the cyclist anyway, even though they could have just as easily completely taken that other lane - rather than half the other lane and half of the cyclist's lane. :(

Heck, I even see it sometimes where they close pass the cyclist by driving straight in the half-half position for a while and then, only after passing the cyclist, move entirely into the other lane. :?

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm

uart wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:I got a close pass today, and after I yelled at her, was told off for riding in the middle of the road. I told her I don't need to keep left on a multi-lane road (I really wish I had a good enough memory that I could say, "Australian Road Rule 129, look it up"). No idea if it sunk in.
Hi Peter. If it's a multi-lane road and you're "taking the lane" on the left, then surely she had to change lanes to pass anyway? I see this a lot, a driver has to change lanes to pass a cyclist who's taking the left lane in a multi-lane road. However they pointlessly close pass the cyclist anyway,
There was traffic in the lane to the right of me, so her alternatives were wait behind me (like any sane driver), or squeeze between us.

The really scary part is that there was one lane to my left, the left turn lane. So if she had glanced me, I wouldn't have just ended up on the ground, but quite possibly under a car in the left turn lane.

This got me thinking whether to instead use the footpath when there is a long line-up for these lights (eastbound on North Terrace, approaching King William Street, directly adjacent Parliament House, for those who know Adelaide), and impatient drivers would rather endanger a cyclist than miss a green light. Usually the line is much shorter and every driver behaves. Today I was probably 10th to 12th in line, and this driver couldn't bear the thought of not getting though the green light.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:35 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote: There was traffic in the lane to the right of me, so her alternatives were wait behind me (like any sane driver), or squeeze between us.
Ok I see. So she basically lane split between you and the traffic in the right lane. Very bad!

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:47 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
uart wrote:
Hi Peter. If it's a multi-lane road and you're "taking the lane" on the left, then surely she had to change lanes to pass anyway? I see this a lot, a driver has to change lanes to pass a cyclist who's taking the left lane in a multi-lane road. However they pointlessly close pass the cyclist anyway,
This got me thinking whether to instead use the footpath when there is a long line-up for these lights
rather than that - you should be thinking of riding wider (ie: in the middle, or towards the right) of the lane.. don't give them any inkling they may be able to squeeze through.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 pm

duncanm wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
uart wrote:
This got me thinking whether to instead use the footpath when there is a long line-up for these lights
rather than that - you should be thinking of riding wider (ie: in the middle, or towards the right) of the lane.. don't give them any inkling they may be able to squeeze through.
I was pretty well in the middle of the lane, which I always thought was the best way to claim the lane. If I go too far right, won't someone like her be tempted to squeeze up the left?

uart

Postby uart » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:53 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote: I was pretty well in the middle of the lane, which I always thought was the best way to claim the lane. If I go too far right, won't someone like her be tempted to squeeze up the left?
Yep. I've personally seen it happen, and several people on this forums have reported it happen to them as well. Even more dangerous than close passing on the right.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 pm

uart wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote: I was pretty well in the middle of the lane, which I always thought was the best way to claim the lane. If I go too far right, won't someone like her be tempted to squeeze up the left?
Yep. I've personally seen it happen, and several people on this forums have reported it happen to them as well. Even more dangerous than close passing on the right.
yep I’ve had that’s happen. Mid lane is about the best you can do in the circumstances
Anything you can do, I can do slower

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:48 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
duncanm wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:
I was pretty well in the middle of the lane, which I always thought was the best way to claim the lane. If I go too far right, won't someone like her be tempted to squeeze up the left?
ah well, you did your best then. Sometimes you just can't win against the tail of the stupid distribution.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:59 pm

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 pm

I was riding along the middle of the lane today, Beach Rd where I normally will be on the bike path but the road just past Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron is closed for the week so I'm on the road. Car behind starts beeping and getting surly. The only impact it had was that I rode on the road for the rest of the way rather than going on the bike path - well done mate, ya moron.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

AdelaidePeter I'm guessing if you were any further to the right in the lane, then she would of tried to underpass you lane splitting with the left hand turn lane

Miss the green light - clearly a minute of her time was more valuable than your life
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:57 pm

I am occasionally surprised with how strong the MGIF urge is with some drivers.

This driver must have gone to the same school as 1BS 9DU, however this time I stuck my arm out as soon as he started to overtake, which persuaded him to abort.

Having proven his inability to judge a safe overtake I held my line to the roundabout after which he would be able to overtake safely.

Of course he was stuck in traffic 2 min later, but maybe he'd not driven that way ever before.

Cheers,

Cameron

pj

Postby pj » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 am

ironhanglider wrote:I am occasionally surprised with how strong the MGIF urge is with some drivers.

This driver must have gone to the same school as 1BS 9DU, however this time I stuck my arm out as soon as he started to overtake, which persuaded him to abort.

Having proven his inability to judge a safe overtake I held my line to the roundabout after which he would be able to overtake safely.

Of course he was stuck in traffic 2 min later, but maybe he'd not driven that way ever before.

Cheers,

Cameron
What an idiot, looks very close to the back of your bike!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 am

jasonc wrote: <snip>
That's ridiculous. Mt Gravatt is a well known cycling and running training road. Those truck drivers should know better, and the council should probably ban semi-trailers if they can't stay in their lane.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 am

RobertL wrote:
That's ridiculous. Mt Gravatt is a well known cycling and running training road. Those truck drivers should know better, and the council should probably ban semi-trailers if they can't stay in their lane.
Buses are banned. I'd suggest trucks are too...

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:12 am

jasonc wrote:
RobertL wrote:
is it just possible that they need to deliver &/or pick up something?

Honestly.. road users do need to be aware that large articulated vehicles sometimes require more of the road than a single lane. I'm not excusing all of those vids.. I don't know the circumstances, but I do know that when on the road (car, bicycle, whatever), I need to be aware that large vehicles have their own issues and need to be given some slack.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:39 am

duncanm wrote:
jasonc wrote:
RobertL wrote:

Honestly.. road users do need to be aware that large articulated vehicles sometimes require more of the road than a single lane. I'm not excusing all of those vids.. I don't know the circumstances, but I do know that when on the road (car, bicycle, whatever), I need to be aware that large vehicles have their own issues and need to be given some slack.
So when a large vehicle uses a narrow road, they close the road or put a vehicle in front warning of the large vehicle. They did neither

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 am

duncanm wrote:
jasonc wrote:
RobertL wrote:

The semi looks looaded. What time of day/day of the week was this? Looks like they've picked a quieter time and gone up to drop off.

If only this was the Gorge...someone could send it to Ray Hadley and listen to him absolutely implode as to which is worse.

Jim

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:02 am

I don't know the road but the prime mover was on the correct side of the road but the trailer wasn't which suggests the corner was very tight ...... the road looks very narrow ......... I an guessing that the truck driver was doing all he could to stay over .... cyclists need read the traffic and the road conditions and not take umbrage every time things aren't exactly to their liking. It did not seem that there was real danger to the rider if they had simply eased up or stopped and waited as a car ...... or truck as shown in one video ...... would have to do. Obviously the truck had business to do in the area .......... contrary to popular opinion truck drivers do not drive down narrow winding roads just to annoy other road users .... most truck drivers avoid difficult roads if they can as many other road users have no idea how to read the turning requirements of a truck and trailer .... or even a long wheelbase rigid truck.

So maybe give a little, rather than condemning some poor bloke just trying to do his job ..........

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:19 am

I think that there should be more restrictions on when and where different sized trucks should go.

Instead of excusing them - he was doing the best he could, he was just doing his job - the powers that be should say that trucks that size are unsuitable and that the largest size truck allowed on that road as a general rule is a 10t rigid, like the guy stopped for a chat to the semi.

If you need to deliver something in a larger truck, then close the road, put up signs, use a pilot vehicle and so on.