Coming back from a fractured hip

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Arbuckle23

Coming back from a fractured hip

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Well technically the top of the femur, but most people go with hip :)

Managed to fracture my hip on the weekend. All pinned/screwed up now and on the road to recovery.
All the medicos are impressed with how I have recovered so far, citing that because I am lean and fit, it is a big help.

Now my question is for others that have suffered the same injury.
How long before back on the bike and able to be putting power through the legs again?
I am not young at 61, so appreciate it all takes time when we are older to heal, just looking at what others may have experienced?

ValleyForge

Re: Coming back from a fractured hip

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 pm

Bloody hell.

How did it happen - generally the trauma of the accident dictates recovery more than the trauma of the operation.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:57 am

Got my front wheel taken out at speed by another rider in a bunch.
Hit the ground quite hard.
The surgeon tells me that he got it all back in line well and it screwed together well.

Just wondering how others may have fared in getting on back on the bike and any problems they encountered along the way

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Mate I'm of no use for anything but empathy - I'm wincing just at the thought of it. I'm aware of a few cyclists who have broken their hip, but there recovery times varied markedly

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:31 pm

find_bruce wrote:I'm aware of a few cyclists who have broken their hip, but there recovery times varied markedly
Yup. Starting at the top there is a sub-capital fracture which is fixed either with pins (quick recovery) or a partial hip replacement (slow recovery). Then there is the classic femoral neck fracture (often called inter-trochanteric) which is usually fixed via a lateral approach on the thigh with a pin & plate (recovery medium to long). Then there are the sub-trochanteric and proximal femoral fractures fixed with a plate via a lateral approach or a nail using a closed/posterior approach (slow to very slow recovery).

Anything sound familiar Arbuckle? A displaced fracture usually occurs due to greater trauma and correspondingly takes longer to recover from (and is harder to fix and harder to keep in position).
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:36 pm

The terms used were "Closed Fracture". Fixed by a screw, no complications.

Klaatu

Postby Klaatu » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Had a similar injury after fall from the bike (subtronchanteric fracture near neck of femur with 3 pins inserted) in late May. All injuries differ as do recovery times but it may not be as long as you might think. Started working with physio with gentle exercises to restore movement soon after surgery which helped to build strength, restore balance and increase movement. Walking up to 2kms with aid of one crutch after 3 weeks, unaided after 4, but still with some discomfort. By week 6-7 was nervously back on bike, but balance still awkward, some residual discomfort, and fear of falling again. Discomfort subsided quickly within another 2 weeks. Now slightly more than 3 months on, riding 40 kms most days with longer ride on weekend without problems. Probably about 80% of pre injury strength with no problems. Still working on it. Hope your recovery also goes well. Regarding age am 64 but admit to working hard to restore the leg to remove the weakness and limp that was part of the early recovery.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks Klaatu.

Been doing physio since the day after surgery.
Getting around the house on one crutch already.
I have been thinking of getting a smart trainer and getting on Zwift for a while.
If my physio OK's it (her partner is a cyclist so she knows how addicted we are) it may be the trigger to go that way to assist the recovery.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Bugger.
Heal well.
Don't rush it.
Listen to advice, and follow.
Trainer sounds like a good start.

Klaatu

Postby Klaatu » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 am

Trainer sounds like a good plan. You'll know when you're ready and it'll help work through any discomfort without the added pressure of your surrounds and other riders, etc.

Best to focus first on exercises that build leg strength, balance and increase the range of movement. Aim to improve weight bearing ability and this will help you walk properly without a recognisable limp before too long.

Working through tolerable levels of discomfort in the early weeks will see rapid improvements but back off anything that is genuinely painful. More walking as cross training also worked for me before returning to the bike. A full length mirror is useful in detecting flaws in stride and show out some remaining weaknesses.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and sympathies if you're also on anti-coagulant needling for the first 5 weeks of recovery. I know it's in the head but used to dread having them daily.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:36 pm

I had a similiar injury a couple of years ago and I was back riding within a couple of weeks. The biggest issue at first was getting the movement in the leg for a full pedal stroke rotatation. I did one ~15 mins session on a wind trainer and after nearly dying of boredom did a few easy coffee shop rides. I was a bit nervous at first, not wanting to crash and re-injure myself (original injury was a workplace accident, not related to bike) but soon got my confidence back. I probably did overdo it in the first few weeks though, as I love to push a big gear and hill reps and wanted to test out if I could still do it. I could but was in pain for a couple of days afterwards and probably set myself back a few days or weeks by doing this.

The surgeon did say that possibly the screws may cause pain or discomfort later on down the track (more prone with skinny people like myself, rather than larger people) and have to come out. Otherwise leave them in. So far, so good, a couple of years and ~30K km later.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Couple of spin sessions on an old spin bike this week and with the encouragement of my rehab physio, but with a "don't crash" warning, took my old hybrid bike out for a test ride today.
Sitting upright with flat pedals is recommended for the moment.
So good to get out and felt great, no pain.
Might go for a longer ride tomorrow :)

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Good for you! And I'm betting that your recovery is progressing way better than most of your/our age thanks to all the miles in those legs beforehand.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:27 pm

nemo57 wrote:Good for you! And I'm betting that your recovery is progressing way better than most of your/our age thanks to all the miles in those legs beforehand.
That's what they all keep telling me :) If you are going to do something silly and injure yourself, fitness speeds the recovery.
Although being older means you don't bounce when you hit the deck, which my wife keeps reminding me of! :lol:

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Bought a Wahoo Kickr Core and had 30 km on Zwift this morning.
Glad I decided to go that way, twisting to release from the left cleat is still difficult at the moment.
But got a good ride in without too much discomfort, just got to be circumspect getting out of the saddle :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm a physio.
Has your bone density been mentioned?
Were you recommended to start a drug called bisphosphonate?
What about a post surgical leg length difference?
Did you have back or knee pain with the accident, or before?

Healing time depends on patent circulation (and quality of nutrient/O2 delivery) to fracture site, and that varies between head, neck, intertrochanteric, subtrochanteric regions. It also depends on bone density.

Your femur will still be weak 2 years after your pain with walking is <2/10. About 8 weeks post op, you might be able to start resistance exercise for your lower limbs - super slow step ups/downs, lunges, squats. Confirm with physio and surgeon, and make sure they explain the risks of the 'screw' loosening. The bike won't be as helpful with bone growth and remodeling. You need heavier resistance work eventually. In the early days though the cycling will be good for circulation and preventing adhesions.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:22 pm

The physio assigned by the hospital had me doing full bodyweight exercises from early on the fractured side.
The excises you talk about I was doing in week one and harder load from week two.
Had me off crutches in a week, encouraging me to walk properly and concentrate on not limping.
Had back pain for many years, old heavy equipment mechanic, goes with the territory.
No knee pain.
Leg length not measured, presume that may happen with my orthopedic follow up in a couple of weeks.
No bone density tests. I have thought about it, but I did hit the ground hard.
Aspirin for four weeks for clotting so I did't have to inject (hospital choice, not mine)
No other drugs.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:The physio assigned by the hospital had me doing full bodyweight exercises from early on the fractured side.
The excises you talk about I was doing in week one and harder load from week two.
Had me off crutches in a week, encouraging me to walk properly and concentrate on not limping.
Had back pain for many years, old heavy equipment mechanic, goes with the territory.
No knee pain.
Leg length not measured, presume that may happen with my orthopedic follow up in a couple of weeks.
No bone density tests. I have thought about it, but I did hit the ground hard.
Aspirin for four weeks for clotting so I did't have to inject (hospital choice, not mine)
No other drugs.
If you are slim, those resistance exercises won't be too challenging.
Nevertheless, if they had you doing full lunges, squats, and step ups/downs (onto chair height, not steps) then the fracture cannot be that nasty.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:32 am

Coffee shop ride this morning. Joined the last part of my usual Saturday morning group ride to tag along for a bit.
It was nice to get outside on the roady again, it was too beautiful a morning to resist :).

No problems, I am lucky in my area, no traffic lights so only had to unclip the left leg a couple of times.
Felt good. Recovery coming along well ( I think :) )

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Good stuff mate! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Hot damn.

Been there, broke mine at the Scott 24 hour probably 10 years ago.
Mine was a very nasty complex break. Good 8months before I could get my self onto a bike. Physically not capable of the rotation required to get on.

Eventually did, short rides, hurt like a mutha. Kept at it, but in moderation.
Was eventually going to the sport Physiotherapist, they’d be like “see if you can do 20minutes on this reclined exercise bike” . They were shocked when I’d say, should be ok, I rode 20ks this morning.

Pain is still there from time to time, left leg is left considerably shorter which has has its own demons. Riding definitely helped / helps. Keep at it champ.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Sorry to hear about your spill. Glad to see you're on the mend.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 am

Saw my surgeon Friday. He told me to wind it back a bit. Probably right I might be pushing a bit too much.
My feeling that my left leg is now longer than my right is confirmed.
Will continue, just at a slower rate.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:Saw my surgeon Friday. He told me to wind it back a bit. Probably right I might be pushing a bit too much.
My feeling that my left leg is now longer than my right is confirmed.
Will continue, just at a slower rate.
Be gentle on yourself. A workmate recovering from hip surgery decided to try "a light jog" rather than the strict walking only regime prescribed by her doctor. She set her recovery back 4 months!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Went back for another checkup.
Got the sign off to go back to full training/riding/racing, with a firm instruction of "don't fall off" :)
Told the Doc I never intend doing that any time :lol: