Why Do Very Few Australian Cyclist Not Use LS Jerseys?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
enduro2

Why Do Very Few Australian Cyclist Not Use LS Jerseys?

Postby enduro2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 am

Hi all,

If I played any other outdoor sport (bowls, cricket, swimming etc) most practitioners would be wearing long sleeves to protect themselves from accumulative exposure to UV rays (a known cause of skin ailments and skin cancers).

So why is it that most cyclists choose to wear SS Jerseys? For me, in regards to sweat evaporation, there is no difference between LS & SS as LS in my experience has v good breathability.

Why do clothing manufacturers choose to offer almost if not exclusively SS Jerseys?

Currently, I'm involved in a monthly charity ride. I'll be exposing myself to about 30hrs of extra sunlight this month (in ~2 hour stints). They only offered Jersey (I have a few of my own LS) is a short sleeve.

For me, I will only wear LS jerseys and don't want the hassle of using additional arm coolers/warmers when I can slip on one garment to do the lot. I've never felt hot wearing a light coloured jersey on a hot morning in Perth (where in summer it can be 30'C at 9am).
Last edited by enduro2 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Re: Why Do Very Few Australian Cyclist Not Use LS Jerseys?

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:15 am

Because it’s cooler with your skin exposed to the wind?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:21 am

I wear a cotton LS shirt over whatever T shirt I'm wearing. I'm not contractually oblidged to display a sponsors logos though.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 am

People don't tend to wear them in winter either - at least in part because of the availability of arm warmers.

Sun sleeves are a good choice for your charity ride
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am

I ride in a lightweight long sleeve merino button up shirt in summer and never find it gets too hot.

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 am

"Arm coolers", which is arm warmers without the fleece. And lots of sunscreen. And a buff. And more sunscreen.

Funny story (?) - years ago Steve Hogg came down to Canberra for a training camp, ended up with sunburn on the head through the helmet vent holes. It had never happened to him in Sydney before - but clean air and 500M+ above sea level makes for a lot more UV.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:22 am

RhapsodyX wrote:"Arm coolers", which is arm warmers without the fleece. And lots of sunscreen. And a buff. And more sunscreen.

Funny story (?) - years ago Steve Hogg came down to Canberra for a training camp, ended up with sunburn on the head through the helmet vent holes. It had never happened to him in Sydney before - but clean air and 500M+ above sea level makes for a lot more UV.
That's something that can also happen to men (mostly) with the entering of middle-aged years and hair loss. Um, according to a friend...

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:31 pm

In summer I use the UV sleeves I used to wear when playing golf, they're made to be skin tight and help wick sweat away to evaporate. I can't bring myself to wear white leg sleeves just yet but never say never. Putting sunscreen on very hairy legs is kinda gross :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 pm

enduro2 wrote:Hi all,

If I played any other outdoor sport (bowls, cricket, swimming etc) most practitioners would be wearing long sleeves to protect themselves from accumulative exposure to UV rays (a known cause of skin ailments and skin cancers).

So why is it that most cyclists choose to wear SS Jerseys? For me, in regards to sweat evaporation, there is no difference between LS & SS as LS in my experience has v good breathability.

Why do clothing manufacturers choose to offer almost if not exclusively SS Jerseys?

Currently, I'm involved in a monthly charity ride. I'll be exposing myself to about 30hrs of extra sunlight. They only offered Jersey (I have my own LS) is a short sleeve.
Are you riding 30 hours in one go, or 30 hours in a month? You can just use the protective sleeves that look like arm warmers, but don't make you warmer.

It's just easier to offer a shorter sleeve jersey and then you do as you wish.
RobertL wrote:but clean air and 500M+ above sea level makes for a lot more UV.
Only 500m+ above sea level? Try 2600m or 2700m. :lol: Then you notice it more. Particularly in Deux Alpes - 29ºC feels quite hot - roasting! But also pretty damn nice too, really great place. Sitting outside having a late lunch in the afternoon, that's the life. 8)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I ride in a lightweight long sleeve merino button up shirt in summer and never find it gets too hot.
Care to mention the brand?
These things are never cheap so recommendations are always welcome.

To the OP: I tend to use arm "warmers" and, when I'm cycling in funny clothes, I tend to ride in the early morning or late evening.
"Daytime" cycling tends to be short trips to the shop, in which case I'm in civvies.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 pm

There is definitely a temperature point in Melbourne that I swap from LS to SS jersey - usually about this time of year. For me around about 17-18 degC. Single digits temps and I wear usually base layer, LS Jersey and Jacket. 10-16 deg base layer and LS jersey. At 17-18 base layer and Short sleeve jersey and over about 20 deg just the SS Jersey. Which makes do up until about 35deg. I don't ride much over 35degC. Best riding conditions is about 18-25deg C I reckon.

Edit: with the increase in skin cancers you may well find increasing popularity with lightweight LS jerseys in Summer.

I've got a couple of sets of arm warmers but never really got on well with them. Rather the full LS jersey or SS Jersey personally. LS jersey's that I have had weren't very aero either, but I'm sure you could get better ones like the skin suits. Not really for the 100kg me though :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I ride in a lightweight long sleeve merino button up shirt in summer and never find it gets too hot.
Care to mention the brand?
These things are never cheap so recommendations are always welcome.

To the OP: I tend to use arm "warmers" and, when I'm cycling in funny clothes, I tend to ride in the early morning or late evening.
"Daytime" cycling tends to be short trips to the shop, in which case I'm in civvies.
Here you go

The best priced one I have found.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:44 pm

I agree - I now have 9 SS ATB event jerseys ! Also have 4 other SS jerseys from kit provided by tour companies, plus various other SS event jerseys. I have never bought a SS jersey myself EVER. I'm doing Ride Daylesford in a couple of weeks and will end up with another SS event jersey.

In LS I have...
1 white and 1 flouro LS Netti, both fairly old, which I mainly use for touring.
1 LS AroundTheBay (2012?) which I bought as an extra option because it was offered that year. Also have the SS which was supplied.
1 winter and 1 summer weight LS Jersey from a TdF tour I did in 2011. Also have the 2011 SS and two more SS from another tour with the same mob in 2016.
1 LS 'Cicli Cortina' jersey I bought in Italy in 2014.
1 other winter weight LS jersey I have used about 3 times in 5 years.

So that's seven LS altogether, and I almost always wear one or other of them every ride. I often wear a short sleeve jersey over the top, rather than wearing base layers, unless it's quite chilly in which case I have 2 SS and one LS base layer to pick from.

The two I wear the most are the 2012 ATB LS, and the LS summer weight TdF.
Today I wore the 2012 LS ATB jersey under another SS.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Velt

Postby Velt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:48 pm

I have a Ground Effect Rock Lobster. It's pretty good, it's a relaxed fit but they offer a similar race fit jersey.

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products ... eeve-shirt

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Thoglette wrote:To the OP: I tend to use arm "warmers" and, when I'm cycling in funny clothes, I tend to ride in the early morning or late evening.
That’s a good point. Summer time I Ride morning or evening. Very rarely for any length of time during the middle of the day - it’s too hot. Try to be home before 9 or start after 4.

Something about mad dogs and Englishmen ...
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Mugglechops wrote:The best priced one I have found.
Thanks!
Also to Velt - I've got a few GroundEffect items and have had my eye on the Rock Lobster for a while
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Thoglette wrote:... have had my eye on the Rock Lobster for a while
5 or 6 years ago a I bought a number of long sleeved jerseys from Ground Effect.
2 synthetic tops, a Rock Lobster and a Zip Tie, and 2 merino Berglar tops.
I no longer wear the synthetics having found them hot and clammy above about 25C, plus they both stretched noticeably.
I still wear the merino (synthetic blend) tops from this time of year in Victoria onwards, up to about 30C. The merino blend is comfortable and has a more versatile temperature range than the synthetics. The merino tops have stretched too but it doesn't worry me.
The merino is good for a cool morning start and a warm to hot late morning finish.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Mububban wrote:Putting sunscreen on very hairy legs is kinda gross :D
You know there's a fix for that? :P :wink:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 pm

There was a really good Aldi merino LS top (back pockets and all) a couple of years ago thats still going strong in my wardrobe. I will be looking for another of those in late Autumn next year. Think it was only about $30 too.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 pm

I find the lack of LS summer weight jerseys to be thoroughly frustrating. Sunscreen only blocks so much even at SPF50+, and my forearms' skin gets irritated and itchy from prolonged UV exposure.

I have a dhb ASV LS jersey that is quite good, but I lost one of my sun sleeves at the start of my M7 ride a couple of weeks ago when I did a quick switch to the winter jacket at the start becasue it was colder than expected. Need to buy a new pair. :(

Merino is comfortable but I find the abrasion/wear resistance to be very poor compared to polyester.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 pm

It is a good question.

I like the versatility of the arm coolers as I can take them off/put them back on at will. Often, on a longer summer outings I'll only put them on halfway through the ride when the sun is out and burning.

Best ones I have come across is the Castelli 50+ and the Morvelo.

JPB

Postby JPB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm

trailgumby wrote:I find the lack of LS summer weight jerseys to be thoroughly frustrating
I agree, especially at the budget/affordable end of the market.

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm

I only ride in an attempt to get fit but I started wearing one of these under cotton short and long sleeve t shirts to try to keep the NW NSW winter chill away which they did do and was wondering what I would wear when the weather warmed up ....... but to my surprise I found that so far they are not excessively hot even with a t shirt over the top. Might be worth a try for $15 ....
https://www.target.com.au/p/men-s-activ ... t/61064119

enduro2

Postby enduro2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Velt wrote:I have a Ground Effect Rock Lobster. It's pretty good, it's a relaxed fit but they offer a similar race fit jersey.

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products ... eeve-shirt
I have a LS Ground Effect too ... I think it's a Rock Lobster too. It has been brilliant for full protection.

The other two LS Jerseys I have are $30 Fluid brand from Anaconda I purchased 6 years ago and were just as UV protective as the Ground Effect UV tested one.

Actually, while wearing the GE, I was getting singlet tan from my Assos bib shorts. Something that wasn't happening with the cheaper Fluid jersey.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:05 am

enduro2 wrote: So why is it that most cyclists choose to wear SS Jerseys? For me, in regards to sweat evaporation, there is no difference between LS & SS as LS in my experience has v good breathability.
you also have to understand the fact that some people find wearing long sleeves no hotter than short sleeves, but other people don't find this. For me anything over ~15C and I'm not wearing long sleeves for anything. I find it gets uncomfortably warm. I'd rather slather myself in sunscreen (which i don't like either) than wear long sleeves.
What works for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex