Knicks

twowheels

Knicks

Postby twowheels » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:20 pm

I've started to ride more now and have felt the need to wear knicks because I have heard they reduce chafing.
Before I rush out to buy them though I just wondered, are they worn with or without underwear? Also, are they effective if other shorts are worn over the top?
I ride a mountain bike and I've also heard about "shy shorts" or mountain bike shorts , are these basically a short with a knick inner?

leojvs

Postby leojvs » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:33 pm

I wear them (to look the part) because they are more comfy than just wearing normal shorts. I wear without grundies. They cause pain where the seams are. Give both a try. Its individual preferance.
Enjoy!!
oohhhh shiny new bike parts : -)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:40 pm

The purpose of cycling knicks is to avoid seams and pressure points where it can turn into sores on repeated rubbing. So it's best to wear them without underwears or you are defeating its purpose. Also, when you get the right size (nice and tight fit), there's no real room for undies.

However, you can wear underwear if you want and I have found it's not much of an issue when worn with looser fitting knicks for short ride. But for anything greater than 25-30km, I can definitely feel the difference. At 50km, you are likely to be sorry for wearing undies. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:06 pm

I have Netti Shy Shorts and Netti Twilight Nix. Both cost the same. ($80)

Shy shorts are more durable (nylon outer) and have pockets. The quality of the inner isn't that great and the seat pad is pretty low end. On a good MTB comfort saddle I find them fine.

Twilight Nix are Netti Pronix with reflective panels. They are more comfortable, esp on a road saddle, the pad is much better, prevents you from feeling damp and sweaty "there".

+1 Wear with no undies. Wash after each use.

Basically, if you want comfort and just comfort, you get more for your money in conventional bike shorts.

If you want mid-level comfort/style/durability bike clothes, ground effect Ranchsliders or Supertankers might be the way to go. You wear them with undies, but they have a thin pad-like thing to stop your legs from chafing. (groundeffect.co.nz) They also have neat zipped pockets, and a pump pocket, and microfibre lined knees.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:58 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:31 pm

Bnej wrote:If you want mid-level comfort/style/durability bike clothes, ground effect Ranchsliders or Supertankers might be the way to go. You wear them with undies, but they have a thin pad-like thing to stop your legs from chafing. (groundeffect.co.nz) They also have neat zipped pockets, and a pump pocket, and microfibre lined knees.
Second the motion, AND you can wear them anywhere without getting "those" looks from the uninitiated :)

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:17 pm

I wear these bibknicks from Uno. They might be twice as much as the Uno club knicks, but I think that they are worth it (besides, there are plenty of standard knicks that cost as much).

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:00 pm

[quote="mikesbytes"]These shorts are a pretty good buy

I work a day or two a week at Cycling and Sports Clothing and agree with Mike. These knicks have exactly the same insert as the more expensive knicks, but miss out on the silicon leg grippers. If you have skinny thighs they tend to creep a bit, but are very good value.
Wayne

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:18 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote: ... These knicks have exactly the same insert as the more expensive knicks ...
I'm happy to be wrong, but ... the 'Ghia' bibknicks have an orange insert which is very different from the blue one in the 'Club' and 'Peleton' ones. Well, at least mine do. :?

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:53 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
bigbuzz73 wrote: ... These knicks have exactly the same insert as the more expensive knicks ...
I'm happy to be wrong, but ... the 'Ghia' bibknicks have an orange insert which is very different from the blue one in the 'Club' and 'Peleton' ones. Well, at least mine do. :?
Sorry Lucky Pierre, you are absolutely correct. I didn't explain myself correctly. What I meant was that the cheaper 'Club' knicks (shorts) have the same insert as the more expensive 'Pro peleton' knicks (shorts).
The 'Ghia' Bibknicks have, as you say, the orange 4 way stretch insert. I have a pair of these and find them quite comfortable.... much better than the blue insert in the shorts. Not up to the comfort standard of $200 Santini T-Gels, but damn good value for money.
Regards,
Wayne

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:41 pm

Excuse the non lycra wearers ignorance please...

Bibknicks, why?

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:44 am

I bought some longs (netti) recently for winter thinking that they would have the padding like knicks in them but to my surprise they don't. :shock:

Are you supposed to wear knicks under longs?

P.S. If you are 155cm tall and stocky, good lick getting longs that fit. Your probably better going with knicks + leg warmers

Also consider if you are going to lose weight. I bought Mediums (34) and now after cycling two months, my legs have lost some weight and my waist is more like 32 (small)

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:55 am

Mulger bill wrote:... Bibknicks, why? ...
Because they are effectively 'waistless' - no pressure over your stomach (well, there would be if there was less of it) and they stay 'up' better. I was a bit dubious when people said: "If you try them, you'll never go back" but I think that they're right.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:59 am

I wear the netti shyshorts and basicshyshorts. I like them. Did 100km in the basics without a problem.

The Shyshorts are longer than the basics, the basics are cut more like sports shorts. The pocket is useful though I only carry a key and a handkerchief in it - the rest goes in the rear pockets of my jersey.

I've also got Netti's undernix with the full, pro padding - these are basically nix designed to be worn under shorts. Although the padding is much thicker, I don't find them any more comfortable than the shyshorts.

The abbrasion resistance of the Shyshorts is very good too - I was wearing the basics when I dropped the Black Beast (both times - they're my favourite shorts) and there isn't a mark on them ... mind you, the big 'air bag' that protrudes over the top might have protected them :roll:

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:25 am

gururug wrote: ... Are you supposed to wear knicks under longs? ...
While you can buy 'longknicks', most 'longs' aren't padded - you just wear them over your knicks. I have the Netti 'Super roubaix' ones (with foot stirrups) and they are fine. They've only been out of the cupboard twice so far this autumn, but I'm sure that it's not going to be long before they are necessary every morning. :?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:03 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:... Bibknicks, why? ...
Because they are effectively 'waistless' - no pressure over your stomach (well, there would be if there was less of it) and they stay 'up' better. I was a bit dubious when people said: "If you try them, you'll never go back" but I think that they're right.
Cheers Pierre, Thanks.

Shaun