How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

kb

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

kb wrote:
kb wrote:
P!N20 wrote:Left Melbourne northside in rain and rivers for bike paths. Arrived in CBD with dry roads feeling a little over dressed.
Pipe bridge was wet though. Over cooked it on the slight bend after the ramp and the back wheel slid over the wet steel. Lost a bit of knuckle skin against the chain link fence.
And 8 hours later I’m thinking may have sprained the other wrist :-(. Wonder if I can change toddler clothes one handed?
X-ray came up clear but pain is around scaphoid and breaks there present later so plastered up and another X-ray in a week. At least it wasn’t being hit in the head by a car this time :-/

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 am

kb wrote:X-ray came up clear but pain is around scaphoid and breaks there present later so plastered up and another X-ray in a week. At least it wasn’t being hit in the head by a car this time :-/
Ah geez, that's rough.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:47 am

Nasty kb

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Any Sydney commuters today?

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:30 pm

P!N20 wrote:Any Sydney commuters today?
I caught the train but am waiting for comments from those made of sterner stuff to appear.
CANYON Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race. Pivot Mach 429 Trail

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Not this black duck - I thought about the places on my commute that would flood this morning, saw forecasts of 60-90 k headwinds on the way home & went nope, I am working from home today

& now they are adding a hail warning for extra excitement
Anything you can do, I can do slower

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:08 pm

nope. work from home today.

the dawn thunderstorm startled my dogs and they barged into our room at 5 :roll:
i decided to make a quick dash into macquarie park (taking the bus) to grab my notebook to work from home. i was back by 830 and avoided the worse weather and traffic at the same time.

i did see a guy cycling on the M2 east-bound with short sleeve and no waterproof gear .. heading straight into the Macq Park storm cell :shock:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:35 pm

caneye wrote:
nope. work from home today.

the dawn thunderstorm startled my dogs and they barged into our room at 5 :roll:
i decided to make a quick dash into macquarie park (taking the bus) to grab my notebook to work from home. i was back by 830 and avoided the worse weather and traffic at the same time.

i did see a guy cycling on the M2 east-bound with short sleeve and no waterproof gear .. heading straight into the Macq Park storm cell :shock:
I promise, it wasn't me. My commuter bike is missing a rear brake while I wait for a bleed kit to show up. I saw the photos of the flood on the M2 (with floating cars), as well as the river running down Lane Cove Rd that caused it. Saw pics of the Lane Cove Weir as well....and I'd loive to know if anyone chanced a crossing of Browns Waterhole. The last time we had rain like this I was living in Marsfield, and my neighbour's house was flooded with shin deep water. We spent hours pushing all the water out. I later went and checked Browns Waterhole for damage and found items like solid picnic benches had been washed away, and the waterline was about 5m above the Weir!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Well that was a fun ride today in Sydney. Usually ride via the beaches (Maroubra and Coogee) around 7am each morning. Not today, rain was torrential. So held off until 8am and took the more direct route along Anzac Pde. Traffic lights out, cars and buses not moving and storm water drains were backing up!

Not a problem on the bike and got to enjoy a hot shower at work and dry clothes :) Tip for cycling in the rain is to wear sandals, don't have waterlogged shoes at the end of the ride.

My colleagues in the office were coming in like drenched rats with stories of cancelled trains, horrid traffic.

Left the office around 4pm and repeated the ride home. A bit of a headwind all the way to Maroubra. Gave the bike a good wipe down, as picked up a fair bit of crap from the road.

Very happy I rode in today, but hoping for a nicer day tomorrow :)
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker
Bike Friday - Pocket Llama
Link to my Tours around Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Respect ozipom.
Nasty head wind and hot in Brisbane this afternoon. 40+km/h with 50+km/h gusts. Debris everywhere

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Lot's of wind in Melbourne, but at least I wasn't in Sydney :o

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:18 am

Nice ride in today. A bit of rain but wasn't pissing down like yesterday. All the glass from a prang (last week) at Timbrell Drive and City West Link Rd was washed away. Hopefully the bike lane on Lilyfield Rd will be clean too.

The cyclepath next to Victoria Rd (just before the Anzac Bridge) looked lethal with all of the foliage and mud washed onto it and sitting in pretty deep looking piles. I took this section very carefully. Probably wont be cleaned up for weeks either.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 am

ozipom wrote:Well that was a fun ride today in Sydney. Usually ride via the beaches (Maroubra and Coogee) around 7am each morning. Not today, rain was torrential. So held off until 8am and took the more direct route along Anzac Pde. Traffic lights out, cars and buses not moving and storm water drains were backing up!

Not a problem on the bike and got to enjoy a hot shower at work and dry clothes :) Tip for cycling in the rain is to wear sandals, don't have waterlogged shoes at the end of the ride.

My colleagues in the office were coming in like drenched rats with stories of cancelled trains, horrid traffic.

Left the office around 4pm and repeated the ride home. A bit of a headwind all the way to Maroubra. Gave the bike a good wipe down, as picked up a fair bit of crap from the road.

Very happy I rode in today, but hoping for a nicer day tomorrow :)
You made the right choice to ride. I left Maroubra junction at 7.15am. At 9.20am I was on the flyover over Darling harbour. Gave up trying to get to my next job (Sydney Olympic Park) and drove home (Tempe). That's 2 hours and 40 minutes I'm never getting back
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 am

I bow before ozipom, tougher than me. Lots of post flooding debris on the way in today
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:13 pm

4xsama wrote:Nice ride in today. A bit of rain but wasn't pissing down like yesterday. All the glass from a prang (last week) at Timbrell Drive and City West Link Rd was washed away. Hopefully the bike lane on Lilyfield Rd will be clean too.

The cyclepath next to Victoria Rd (just before the Anzac Bridge) looked lethal with all of the foliage and mud washed onto it and sitting in pretty deep looking piles. I took this section very carefully. Probably wont be cleaned up for weeks either.
I had a lot of debris to deal with out west as well on my commute in. I just rode slowly today - average 26km/h, took it careful through the corners. Just too risky. I also got rained on, but not very heavy.

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:23 pm

g-boaf wrote:
4xsama wrote:Nice ride in today. A bit of rain but wasn't pissing down like yesterday. All the glass from a prang (last week) at Timbrell Drive and City West Link Rd was washed away. Hopefully the bike lane on Lilyfield Rd will be clean too.

I had a lot of debris to deal with out west as well on my commute in. I just rode slowly today - average 26km/h, took it careful through the corners. Just too risky. I also got rained on, but not very heavy.
I was grateful for a bit of breeze over the Anzac Bridge this morning. On Tuesday it was really still and the vehicle exhaust seemed to hang in the air. Today was just a really nice ride. I also got a bit wet but only for 10-15 minutes or so but it still beat the hell out of the train.

Cheers

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Meanwhile in Perth fine, sunny and a moderate southerly. So flew into the city in excess of 35kph even with a 2km detour (The official road works detour is over 4km). The bunch ride at the end was a slog at 25kph into the wind, before setting a couple of PBs on the return leg.

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:48 pm

A couple of riders almost came to blows yesterday. Was at the Pyrmont Bridge/Murray St intersection when a guy on a share bike (on the phone and holding a suit jacket) cut off a guy on an E-Bike as the crossing lights went green. Directly rode in front as E-Bike was setting off. Guy on E-Bike clipped share bike guy on the way past outside Pyrmont Hotel. Guy on share bike gave E-Bike a gentle kick when E-Bike was stopped to wait for lights at Union/Edward Sts. Verballing ensued. Both were being tw*ts.

I don't think share guy was a regular rider but E-Bike was a bit out of line too. I guess an issue with E-Bikes, or at least this rider (and I'm not an E-Bike hater I might add) is that they can fly up the hills past everyone and then you overtake on the flat/downhill. I was thinking this on the way home last night and I felt I was sounding just like a motorists 'the problem with bikes at traffic lights is...........'.

I was also thinking to myself 'would I ever buy an E-Bike?' Without going into the pro/cons of E-Bikes I probably wouldn't.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Got to the Karrinyup Rd crossing lights this morning, only to find that a super-genius model citizen had levelled them overnight. I have a pre-programmed drinks break there, so even though my eyes were looking at the actual light itself smashed and mangled on the ground, I still stood there sipping away, contemplating life and the universe while waiting for it to turn green (I'm weird that way). Only after I'd finished about half the bottle did my conscious mind take the helm and make me realise I was probably going to be waiting a while ... :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:06 pm

4xsama wrote:I was also thinking to myself 'would I ever buy an E-Bike?' Without going into the pro/cons of E-Bikes I probably wouldn't.
If you're having such thoughts, you probably will.

4xsama

Postby 4xsama » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am

Was at the intersection of Pyrmont and Union St this morning around 6.30 waiting for the lights to change. A bird was wandering across in front. The guy behind me said 'Why did the Bin Chook cross the road'. Perfect timing and pretty funny. Well played sir.

apollo95

Postby apollo95 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm

My commute from Berwick to Scoresby today, on my CX bike. Initially I had a thin spray jacket on, but 15mins into the mute I had to take it off and stash it! Very strong gusty headwinds made it challenging and seemed sluggish. A lot like most of the days last week, windy AF!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Commute home may be the long way due to a police incident that has closed the bicentennial bike way...

apollo95

Postby apollo95 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Windy , my mate here at work told me about this site to check the weather conditions
Amazing!
https://www.windy.com

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:09 pm

jasonc wrote:Commute home may be the long way due to a police incident that has closed the bicentennial bike way...
Was fine in the end. About 800m extra for the diversion