Cannondale v Merida v Trek

Mububban

Re: Cannondale v Merida v Trek

Postby Mububban » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Rawshack wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Campy Zondas or Shimano Rs81 (or whatever the equiv is nowdays).
Not sure that the frame is worth the upgrade. It's a very, very heavy frame and I think I'm better saving the pennies for a better bike.
I forgot to say - I paid $1500 for a 9.45kg bike with Shimano 105 and disc brakes.

I almost bought a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 with full Ultegra, rim brakes, carbon wheels and 7.5kg in large, so a full 2kg lighter - but it cost $1700 more at the time. I bought the bike I could afford at the time, and I bought the wheels I could afford at the time. If you've got cash to splash, sell the Contend for a tiny discount seeing as it's so new, and stump up the change for an upgraded bike. But new wheels really will transform a bike.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Mububban wrote:
Rawshack wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Campy Zondas or Shimano Rs81 (or whatever the equiv is nowdays).
Not sure that the frame is worth the upgrade. It's a very, very heavy frame and I think I'm better saving the pennies for a better bike.

rodneycc wrote:Maybe most important lose some weight and work on the fitness. And ride, ride ride and ride more and then the bike won't feel as heavy
I'm 71kg and I ride almost everyday. Still feels heavy ;)
My Contend SL1 Disc in Large size weighed 9.45kg without pedals.

While removing tyres and tubes to rotate tyres, I weighed the stock PR-2 wheels, with QR skewers and disc rotors attached - 1.095kg front, and 1.305kg rear (1.625kg including Shimano 105 cassette in 11-32 = 320g).
Minus ~130g per wheel for the stock rotors and ~35-40g for F/R QR skewers and you roughly get:
- 930g front wheel
- 1140g rear wheel

I replaced the stock wheels with Prime carbon 38mm wheels and it transformed the bike, to the point where I now don't feel the need to buy a lighter carbon bike. Saving <600g on wheels makes climbing and maintaining speed so much better.

Prime RP-38:
Front - 856g (705g bare wheel + 115g Ultegra rotor & lock ring + 36g QR skewer)
Rear - 1291g (845g bare wheel + 115g Ultegra rotor & lock ring + + 41g QR skewer + 290g Ultegra cassette)

I paid about $850 for the carbon wheels. If I had my time again I might have gone for these Hunt alloy wheels (I found them after ordering the Prime wheels) - even cheaper and a touch lighter than the Primes:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide
I don't have the SL1, I just have the vanilla 'Contend 1' which is the lower (and heavier), ALUXX grade of aluminium (compared to the ALUXX SL for the SL1). I wish I'd spent the extra pennies for the SL1 to get the better frame and the 105 groupset...

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Can you simply return it? and tell them you got the wrong bike - Check out their return policy. My dad bought a bike from 99 bikes and didn't like it, they were happy to let him return it and he paid the difference for the upgraded bike.

Take it back, tell them you want a Defy Advanced.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am

fergy1987 wrote:Can you simply return it? and tell them you got the wrong bike - Check out their return policy. My dad bought a bike from 99 bikes and didn't like it, they were happy to let him return it and he paid the difference for the upgraded bike.

Lygon Cycles... I'll call them today, but I suspect I should have looked before I leapt.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:35 am

Rawshack wrote:
fergy1987 wrote:Can you simply return it? and tell them you got the wrong bike - Check out their return policy. My dad bought a bike from 99 bikes and didn't like it, they were happy to let him return it and he paid the difference for the upgraded bike.

Lygon Cycles... I'll call them today, but I suspect I should have looked before I leapt.
I would even recommend looking at Canyon Bikes, they've got some great bikes at awesome prices.

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 am

g-boaf wrote:
Rawshack wrote:

I would even recommend looking at Canyon Bikes, they've got some great bikes at awesome prices.
Good call - I've got my eye on the Endurace 7.0...(The russian red is stunning) That or a CAAD12 105 or the Trek ALR5... similar prices and specs, all with great, lightweight alloy frames.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am

Rawshack wrote:....I suspect I should have looked before I leapt.
Don't worry, we've all been there :) Think of your first road bike as a gateway drug rather than a long term "forever" purchase :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 am

Mububban wrote:
Rawshack wrote:....I suspect I should have looked before I leapt.
Don't worry, we've all been there :) Think of your first road bike as a gateway drug rather than a long term "forever" purchase :D
You're absolutely right. The giant contend1 is a decent gateway from the flat bar commute to the world of dropbars. I remember reading comments on here about how it's dropbar or nothing, and I remember thinking what a load of pretentious w*nk, but they were right...

I got the Giant at a good (2018) price, so I shouldn't see too much of a loss on it when I come to change

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Rawshack wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Rawshack wrote:
Good call - I've got my eye on the Endurace 7.0...(The russian red is stunning) That or a CAAD12 105 or the Trek ALR5... similar prices and specs, all with great, lightweight alloy frames.
I was actually thinking more this:

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road/ultim ... l-8-0.html

For the price, how does anything beat that?! :shock:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:

Good value, but doesn't have discs :lol:

kb

Postby kb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Ha! Was going to write that but figured too cheeky :-)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 pm

kb wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Ha! Was going to write that but figured too cheeky :-)
I was going to reply, but thought I'd better not - might stir up an epic 100 page topic on those brakes. :D