Who is riding where this Wednesday?

leojvs

Who is riding where this Wednesday?

Postby leojvs » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:40 pm

After ANZAC day march and celebrations (is that the right word? You celebrate the life of someone after there death..) who is planning a ride? I will b riding from my place, thru Penrith, then up to Blackheath to watch m mum shoot her crossbow in preperation for the World Championships in the USA in July, having a picnic with mum, dad, and my wife, then enjoying the downhill blat on the way home.

So, whats your rides?
oohhhh shiny new bike parts : -)

DrEvil123

Re: Who is riding where this Wednesday?

Postby DrEvil123 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:29 pm

leojvs wrote:watch m mum shoot her crossbow in preperation for the World Championships
details? :lol:
Anthony.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:36 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:26 pm

Not sure if I've got the day off yet..... :(

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 pm

I do a bit of casual work at a shop that sells cycling clothing and one of the other staff is into triathlons. He's invited me to join him on a "nice easy 60km ride" Wednesday morning..... I have a feeling his perception of what constitutes "nice and easy" could be SLIGHTLY different to that of someone 30 years his senior! :shock:
Wayne

leojvs

Postby leojvs » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:03 pm

DrEvil123 wrote:
leojvs wrote:watch m mum shoot her crossbow in preperation for the World Championships
Well, tis a bit of a story. To tell it, I have to start at the beginning. So, 4 years ago in June mum had a stroke. She wasnt looking too good. Told she wont talk, walk, or be out of bed. After a few months, she was making lots of progress. She is now at the point where she can get out of her wheelchair, and do a little walking, to the bogs, or make a coffee. Shehas a knee brace, and an ankle brace, and uses her hip to throw her leg forward. Dad retired to care for mum and my sister, who mum was the origonal carer for.
Dad needed to get mum into something to stop her (and him ) from going crazy. They tried there hand at archery. Went from recurve bow to cross bow, as mum can usethat better, as she is down to the use of one arm. Turnes out she is really good at it. Who woulda knew? She s womens masters crossbow (cb) champ of NSW, Aust champ womens msters cb, holds 2 records on Oz, has about 30 medals for various competitons, and recently qualified to shoot in the Australian team of the World Champs in USA. As far as we know, she will be the only hemiplegic shooter. Her qualifying shoot was 872/900 and she needed 700 to qualify.

Now, thats the really short version. The long one iss about 3 A4 pages long........

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:07 pm

leojvs wrote:After ANZAC day march and celebrations (is that the right word? You celebrate the life of someone after there death..) who is planning a ride? I will b riding from my place, thru Penrith, then up to Blackheath to watch m mum shoot her crossbow in preperation for the World Championships in the USA in July, having a picnic with mum, dad, and my wife, then enjoying the downhill blat on the way home.

So, whats your rides?
Penrith to blackheath!!! when i was a kid we lived at castlereagh and a few years later moved to blackheath , thats quite a climb!

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:08 pm

Me and my other half are intending on riding on the Western Freeway bikeway.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:46 pm

I'll be working on getting more comfortable with my Uriarra - Cotter loop. I rode it in just under 2 1/2 hours on Sunday and would like to get quite a bit quicker. The climb from the 24 km point is deceptive - it starts from a river crossing with a short, sharp climb (which you know all about) then just goes on and on for 10 km over what looks like an undulating stretch (which tricks you into thinking it's flat, and wondering why you are going so slowly). In our races, it is those 10kms (or something similar) are the 'defining moment' ie. I usually get dropped. The good news is, that you are now at the top of a you beaut descent. Sadly, it's a bit technical, rather than flat out! :( The bad news - the climb out from the Cotter Reserve is almost as high and actually steeper, and there's still the climb out of Coppins Crossing to go. Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! :?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:57 pm

leojvs wrote:
DrEvil123 wrote:
Well, tis a bit of a story. To tell it, I have to start at the beginning. So, 4 years ago in June mum had a stroke. She wasnt looking too good. Told she wont talk, walk, or be out of bed. After a few months, she was making lots of progress. She is now at the point where she can get out of her wheelchair, and do a little walking, to the bogs, or make a coffee. Shehas a knee brace, and an ankle brace, and uses her hip to throw her leg forward. Dad retired to care for mum and my sister, who mum was the origonal carer for.
Dad needed to get mum into something to stop her (and him ) from going crazy. They tried there hand at archery. Went from recurve bow to cross bow, as mum can usethat better, as she is down to the use of one arm. Turnes out she is really good at it. Who woulda knew? She s womens masters crossbow (cb) champ of NSW, Aust champ womens msters cb, holds 2 records on Oz, has about 30 medals for various competitons, and recently qualified to shoot in the Australian team of the World Champs in USA. As far as we know, she will be the only hemiplegic shooter. Her qualifying shoot was 872/900 and she needed 700 to qualify.

Now, thats the really short version. The long one iss about 3 A4 pages long........
Way to go Mum. Give her a rev from me thanks :D

Richard

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 pm

I have two midterms the next day so I'll be studying unfortunately :cry:

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:38 pm

leojvs wrote:
DrEvil123 wrote:

That's a fantastic story!
Anthony.

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:05 pm

leojvs wrote:
DrEvil123 wrote:

Mate, your mum is a bloody legend!
Every now and then we are all guilty of thinking we have it a bit tough and feel like giving up.... and then we hear stories such as your family's and it puts things into perspective.
Your mum is an inspiration, and your dad sounds like a top bloke! You should be very proud (and I'm certain you are).
Good luck and give those Yanks hell mum!
Wayne

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:42 am

leojvs wrote:
DrEvil123 wrote:

Just goes to show a stroke isn't the end of the world and can open new doors. Also shows people like myself just how lucky I am to 'only' have crook knees and lower back.

An ex employee and good friend of mine had a stroke 2 weeks before xmas last year. He was only 30. He's been lucky, he's gone from being bed ridden to virtually back to normal. He's been doing some work in my store (after not working here for about 10 years) to help him get some confidence back.
He has equal strength in his left and right side with a slight limp on his right leg but his sight was affected and guess what, he is an artist.
His sight is almost back to normal and he can drive again. He still has problems selecting the right word to use at times but like I said to him, welcome to my world.

Back on topic - We're going to ride the race circuit we have to race on Sunday at race pace.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:58 am

LuckyPierre wrote:I'll be working on getting more comfortable with my Uriarra - Cotter loop. I rode it in just under 2 1/2 hours on Sunday and would like to get quite a bit quicker. The climb from the 24 km point is deceptive - it starts from a river crossing with a short, sharp climb (which you know all about) then just goes on and on for 10 km over what looks like an undulating stretch (which tricks you into thinking it's flat, and wondering why you are going so slowly). In our races, it is those 10kms (or something similar) are the 'defining moment' ie. I usually get dropped. The good news is, that you are now at the top of a you beaut descent. Sadly, it's a bit technical, rather than flat out! :( The bad news - the climb out from the Cotter Reserve is almost as high and actually steeper, and there's still the climb out of Coppins Crossing to go. Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! :?
Just checked out your map of this route and all I can say is "ohhhhh my God....! Is there anywhere flat in Canberra? Coming from Perth my idea of a hill is anything above sea-level. Of course I could go off into the Hills to the East of Perth (the Darling ranges), but I think it is going to be quite a while before I venture out there!

For Wednesday I will be going into the city for the parade (would like to go to the Dawn Service at Kings Park, but it is a bit tricky with a 2 1/2 year old little person in the house!). Hoping to get out in the afternoon, however, maybe for a quick 20 ks down the freeway bike path.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:52 am

maybe the dawn service, if i amnage to bash through enough of this uni assignment tonight.'

then perhaps barrel down to the 'G for the ANZAC day footy match - again if I manage to get enough work out of the way.

leojvs

Postby leojvs » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the good wshes for my folks guys! I will pass them on tonight. Good to seee there are a few others riding out there tomorrow. I found out my ride is to Mt Victoria. Damn. Its only 3 more kms, but it sounds really far...

mums shoot is July 14th - 21st 2007, at Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA

lest we forget

pospete

Postby pospete » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:22 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:I do a bit of casual work at a shop that sells cycling clothing and one of the other staff is into triathlons. He's invited me to join him on a "nice easy 60km ride" Wednesday morning..... I have a feeling his perception of what constitutes "nice and easy" could be SLIGHTLY different to that of someone 30 years his senior! :shock:
Wayne

And which outlet would that be? :lol:

Ok Leojvs, pass on my regards too. I mean that. I know from personal experience life can be very tough at times. Bike ride mmmmmmm, probably just my usual down to the bay and round it a bit.
Talk to the hand

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:34 pm

Damn this rain in Sydney (none reaching the catchment). That's Easter weekend and ANZAC day washed out! Bunnies got wet and now the diggers...
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:52 am

sogood wrote:Damn this rain in Sydney (none reaching the catchment). That's Easter weekend and ANZAC day washed out! Bunnies got wet and now the diggers...
I went for a run instead this morning. I'm thinking of going to the track tonight to do some sprints on the rollers. Why don't you drop by for a few minutes after dinner for a sticky.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:07 am

mikesbytes wrote:I went for a run instead this morning. I'm thinking of going to the track tonight to do some sprints on the rollers. Why don't you drop by for a few minutes after dinner for a sticky.
Would love to but it's a bad time to get away from the family. Rode the gym stationary bike though.

Looks like the shower is clearing slowly.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:35 am

Only got back from Melbourne at 10pm last night. 11pm by the time I got home, I HAD to watch Man Utd v AC Milan at 5am this morning.

I've just managed a 25km light ride before the rain comes (I felt as strong as I have felt for a long time, shows you the benefit of a couple of days rest (and a few VB's as well although I don't normally drink the stuff!)).

Now I have a day full of the kids! :roll:

Cheers,

Gary

seddo

Postby seddo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:14 pm

1st big ride today on the Scott - Kambah to the Dickson Ambulance Station(Morphett/Challis St) -47km return ride , 2hrs, top speed 47km/hr , avg speed 23.5km/hr, avg cadence 75 - yada yada had a ball . Will try to make this a weekly exercise(on top of my other rides) with the goal to make it to the "G" and back

cheers
Seddo

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 pm

fred

Postby fred » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:46 pm

yeah, youre right mike, still is raining here in hornsby......

and i think it will be this way the whole day.