Squeeling wet disc brakes

ShanDog

Squeeling wet disc brakes

Postby ShanDog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:40 am

Was just wondering if anyone knew why my disc brakes squeel once they get the smallest bit wet. My guess is just because they're nothing special, especially because its only a $650 bike. If anyone has other ideas or how to reduce the squeeling I'd be happy to hear about them.

Cheers,
Shannon

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:38 am

Brake pads always sqeal until you've paid for them so I'd suggest that you pay your credit card immediately :D (that's what my uncle told me and he was a mechanic so he'd know :roll: )

Squealing is usually the pad vibrating. I know nothing about bike disc brake setups, but it might be a simple adjustment, you might have to wait for the pads to bed in or maybe a different pad material ... or just grin and put up with the noise :shock:

Richard

tuco

Re: Squeeling wet disc brakes

Postby tuco » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:48 am

sbra9635 wrote:Was just wondering if anyone knew why my disc brakes squeel once they get the smallest bit wet. My guess is just because they're nothing special, especially because its only a $650 bike. If anyone has other ideas or how to reduce the squeeling I'd be happy to hear about them.

Cheers,
Shannon
Look on the bright side, at least people in your way will hear you braking and get out of the way.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Make sure all your bolts are tight, rotor and mounts. Pad choice is another possibility. If that doesn't help, learn to love the noise :?

Shaun.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:55 pm

A long hard ride down a very steep hill - you'll either bed the pads in or burn them out ... and ruin the discs :shock: But Mulger's right, check all the bolts and fittings for tightness - it might not solve the problem but it won't hurt.

Oh I don't know. What's wrong with sticking your boot in the front wheel anyway? It's worked for thousands of kids over the years :shock:

Richard

fats

Postby fats » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:12 pm

Often it can be contaminated or glazed pads. What works for me (if your mechanically capable) is to remove the discs and rub them on the concrete floor of the garage just enough to clean them up, and re-install. Warning! If you have hydrolic disks do not let anyone near your bike while you have the pads out as they will invaribly squeeze the brakes and you will have a heck of a time getting the cylinders back in.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Well it was just recently serviced and I asked the to make sure the brakes were good (but after what happened with my gears, who knows). They only squeel in the wet, otherwise they're quiet as any other brakes. I have to say, riding in the dark last night in the wet, they were a god send because pedestrians heard me a mile away, freaked and got out of the way hahaha...

My guess is its probably the pads... I'll wait till I have to replace them and then upgrade them... hopefully I'll have a higher level road bike before that happens anyway :?