Now it's Diabetes, more joy

pospete

Now it's Diabetes, more joy

Postby pospete » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:57 pm

Well Mondays results , amongst the usual signatures of a mis spent youth, are that my Cholesterol is way too high, and also my Blood Glucose. So now it's an even stricter diet, more exercise, and in 3 months I find out if it's injections or tablets.
I am feeling stoned again cos of the medication I have to take, and it's playing on my mind too much.
I just wonder where it's all going to end, or which will get me 1st :roll: :roll: :roll:
Talk to the hand

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:04 pm

You're obviously not spending enough time on your bike ... sheesh, imagine wasting good riding weather sitting in a doctor's surgery.

Bugger about that mate. Do the meds mess with your riding? Sounds like they could, and I know you can't afford to buy a trike recumbent either (ya can't fall off them ... though I guess you could park one under something).

Keep swingin' mate.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 pm

Buy a touring bike and go touring. It has been known to reverse some diabetes. :D

The bike is heavy so has a habit of staying upright even though logic dictates that it wil fall over. I've been struck by a car and stayed upright. A normal bike would have tipped me onto the ground.

I take some pretty heavy duty medication sometimes, but still ride when I am able to.

Get well, and I think old age might get us all if we stay on our bikes long enough.

Kev.

rider06

Postby rider06 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:34 pm

To attempt to offer some hope: many studies have been done that show that exercise (both endurance and resistance training) can improve cholesterol profile - increase HDLs (good chol) and decrease LDLs (bad chol) and decrease plasma triglycerides (fat in blood) as well as help with insulin sensitivity (alter enzyme and protein transporter activity) which should help stave off or limit diabetes. Unless the medications you have to take contraindicate exercise in any way it might be worth talking to your doctor and getting a referral to an Exercise Physiologist - find one here
Hope this helps - all the best

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:55 am

Damn Pete, that's a full book you got there, real sorry to hear about it mate, :(

I'm no doctor, but I would recommend fresh air and a certain low impact aerobic excercise taken with with a lot of belly laughs and good company.

Stand strong and get better mate. :D

Shaun

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:49 am

Gee Pospete, that sucks.

Don't go and get depressed about it. It's not fun.

And next time you are in a bookshop, have a flick through "The Zone Diet" book - the one discussing the science.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:33 am

Sorry to hear that Pospete, i hope that the next three months sees a turnaround in the prognosis for you.

- Paul.

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:38 am

I guess if nothing else i am good advert to take better care when you are young. These days I seems to spend around 7 days each month attending various appointments at the hosp.( or staying in the place) I 'm OK tho. The meds I have to take are not nice but hey worse things happen at sea. As it is I spend every evening stoned. I will check out sports medicine tho, I mean with all the crap I got it's sometimes difficult to work out what I should be doing.
I'll keep you posted.
Talk to the hand

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:03 am

Your not having a good run pospete, sorry to hear the bad news
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:13 pm

Just one of those things Mike. When I was younger I never realised a bout what a price I'dd have to pay, just now I'm 43, and my body is starting to seriously wear out. The thing is none of it will ever go away. It'll just get slowly worse, or maybe not so slowly.
I'm not worried about it , no point. Just get on and enjoy every sunny day! :lol:
Talk to the hand

bones922

Re: Now it's Diabetes, more joy

Postby bones922 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:57 pm

pospete wrote:Well Mondays results , amongst the usual signatures of a mis spent youth, are that my Cholesterol is way too high, and also my Blood Glucose. So now it's an even stricter diet, more exercise, and in 3 months I find out if it's injections or tablets.
I am feeling stoned again cos of the medication I have to take, and it's playing on my mind too much.
I just wonder where it's all going to end, or which will get me 1st :roll: :roll: :roll:
G'day Pete,

Is it the diabetes meds that's stuffing you around? Or do you have a cocktail of meds due to other issues?

I'm on meds for diabetes - hope to stay off insulin for years if I can. Fortunately none of them make me feel stoned.

Cheers, Marty.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:43 am

Hi Pete,

Hi Bones,

I am a little bit luckier not to have diabetes and would be interested how this affects cycling. Some people have already asked about medication and riding... what about the energy and distances that you can ride. Pete, I guess it will all be new to you however Bones, I would interested to know about the things you need to take into consideration when doing sport (inparticular cycling).

Cheers
Christopher

pospete

Postby pospete » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:08 pm

G'day Pete,

Is it the diabetes meds that's stuffing you around? Or do you have a cocktail of meds due to other issues?

I'm on meds for diabetes - hope to stay off insulin for years if I can. Fortunately none of them make me feel stoned.

Cheers, Marty.[/quote]

I hav'nt started meds for the Diabetes yet , they'll review it over the next 3 months, monthly blood tests. They only picked up on it because I do a couple of long term clinical studies and the test result came back way too high (9.4) to be perfectly honest I feel like crap for most of the time anyway so I just tend to ignore it.
Well Marty the list so far,
1/ HIV+, I take Efavirenz. 1 tablet a day , late every afternoon. By 7oclock I am quite stoned. It has other psychological side effects, and other gastro side effects. Not very nice anyway. I also take another drug, ( it's called combination therapy) , labelled as Truvada, basically contains 3TC and Tennofovir, which are amongst other things helpful to 2/ Hepatitis B+ (stage 2 level 2 Cirrohsis) Most HIV drugs are dependant on having a good liver function, and as I do have some liver problems, the choices I have are very limited, so the side effects are just something I have to put up with. 3/ DVT- Antiphospholipid Syndrome, basically my blood wants to clot all the time so I take a high dose of Warfarin( Rat Poison :lol: ) every day. The only side effect there is if I cut myself , even a small cut I have to go the hospital because the Warfarin thins my blood and cuts don't stop bleeding.
I'll gloss over the Skin Cancer because thats all been removed and fingers crossed that won't bother me again.
Diabetes is just another hiccup in the scheme of things. With my cycling I do tend to push myself alot harder, as it's important. With HIV and Hep B fitness is an important factor in determining how the disease will effect me. When I got told i was HIV+ it was kinda a wake up call to make some major changes in my life, and to make a much bigger effort at taking care of myself. I know of so many others who party hard, with alcohol and drugs. I don't do alcohol at all now, and the only drugs are prescribed. It's just the choices we make. I decided I wanted to be super fit and whatever it takes I'll get it. Cycling is my only sport really so i allways try to do between 50-100K each ride. It probably sounds funny but when I'm on the bike I can blend in with all the other cyclists, I am just an average person.
Talk to the hand

bones922

Postby bones922 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:54 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Hi Pete,

Hi Bones,

I am a little bit luckier not to have diabetes and would be interested how this affects cycling. Some people have already asked about medication and riding... what about the energy and distances that you can ride. Pete, I guess it will all be new to you however Bones, I would interested to know about the things you need to take into consideration when doing sport (inparticular cycling).

Cheers
Christopher
G'day Christopher,

I'd written a long and eloquent reply, including links to other articles about diabetes and cycling. However, because I haven't posted 10 or more messages before, I'm not allowed to include links. I couldn't be bothered editing out all the links I'd included.

Long and the short of it - I've got Type 2 and I'm currently NIDDM (Non-Insulin Dependant Diabetes Melitius). Basically, I don't have to be too worried about the effects of exercise on my BGL's as my body is coping with producing it's own insulin, and, with oral medication, I can manage my BSL's much easier than a Type 1 diabetic can. Type 1 requires insulin to be injected due to the pancreas giving up the ghost and not supplying insulin to the body. Therefore exercise can play havoc with Type 1 BSL's - it can be managed, it's just a very different type of management. There are AFL and NRL footballer's who have T1 D.

Exercise does have a very positivie effect on my BSL's however, as it allows my body to utilise the insulin it is producing to a better effect.

I've only been diagnosed since Oct last year, and I've only been riding for 2.5 months now - so I'm no expert on either subject yet :)

I'm happy to email my original post - I saved it in a text file if you like. Alternatively, Google is your friend :)

Cheers,

Marty

bones922

Postby bones922 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:08 pm

G'day Pete,

Yeah, sounds like you've got quite a bit on your plate. The only drug I've heard in that lot was Wharfarin (sp?) which my old man and a mate takes. They have the same problem with the cuts as well - although I think the old man's will stop, just takes a bloody long time - probably not on as high a dose as you.

Your BSL of 9.9 isn't really all that high. When I was diagnosed, I was 18. Then when I started monitoring myself (but prior to any meds) I recorded a 24. Even getting on one drug didn't change things and I stayed on 17's for a while until I started another. (I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest - really! :)) True it's higher than normal, and the Doc's will need to keep on it - but seeing as the goal is ~5.5, hopefully the diet and exercise will be enough - although it sounds like the riding is taking care of the exercise.

The lack of grog is also a good thing for BSLs as well.

Best of luck with NOT getting the nod on the diabetes thing - you've definitely got your fair share without it. Sounds like your head is in the right place all the same.

Cheers,

Marty

pospete

Postby pospete » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:30 pm

cheers. I think they were just concerned because the over 3 tests done so far the BSL seems to be climbing. With everything else going on, they're just concerned that it does'nt go sky high. With my luck it probably will. My dad is type 1, and my Aunt and both cousins, so it's probably a family thing. Anyhow I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Talk to the hand