Trekking Bars versus Dropbars

Aushiker

Trekking Bars versus Dropbars

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:47 pm

G'day

Slowly progressing sorting out the build parts for my Surly LHT which may get completed in 2009 :roll: .

Anyway before I make my final decision on shifters etc, I have been re-thinking the bars (comes from a week in NZ seeing way to many tourers).

So what are the thoughts on trekking bars, e.g., Kev's setup here

versus drop bars such as the Nitto Randonneur?

Advantages/disadvantages? Preferences? Experiences?

I assume if going with the trekking bars I would run MTB shifters and thus have less compatibility issues with MTB FD/RD.

Thanks
Andrew

Crank

Postby Crank » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:29 pm

No thats not Kevs set up that my set up i had to make that clear because me and Kev always like to out do each other but i think he is winning with hes friction shifters... : )
But anyway i like this set up because on those long tours these bars have many different hand positions so i can sit up straight or i can ride lower as well because i have bar ends on as well, thats were the mirror is.. : ) : )

Sorry "Aushiker" for sending you a PM wrong click i think the sun got to me ... :

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:25 pm

When i collect my surly, you're free to have a look at/ride of it andrew - i'd be happy to meet up.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Caelum wrote:When i collect my surly, you're free to have a look at/ride of it andrew - i'd be happy to meet up.
Thanks. Would love to do that if possible. I have pretty much decided to stay with the drop bars. Better the devil you know ...

Andrew

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Crank wrote:No thats not Kevs set up that my set up i had to make that clear because me and Kev always like to out do each other but i think he is winning with hes friction shifters... : )
I didn't like them that way so I flipped them over and run them upside down. I still prefer the drop bars tho.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:12 pm

G'day

I have pretty much decided to stick with drops, even though it will be more of a fiddle getting the setup right.

Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:14 pm

it shouldn't be much of an issue if you get some tiagra or 105(9spd) shifters, should it?

I mean, that's what i was considering if i went with drops.

The gearing ratios are all the same with shimano gear, aren't they?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Caelum wrote:it shouldn't be much of an issue if you get some tiagra or 105(9spd) shifters, should it?

I mean, that's what i was considering if i went with drops.

The gearing ratios are all the same with shimano gear, aren't they?
Not that simple, if you want to run a road triple on the front and a mtb RD.

Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:42 pm

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but why?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Caelum wrote:You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but why?
Hi Mate

Quick answer can be found on my Surly build page. Basically I want to run a smaller triple crank, e.g, Sugino XD600 or a MTB one but with STI.

On the back will be MTB cluster and RD.

To do all with in 9 speed with STI, the best combination appears to be with Campagnolo shifters.

Regards
Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:44 pm

Yeah, i really don't follow.

If you have MTB crankset, MTB RD, MTB cassette, are the cable pull ratios different between MTB and road derailleurs?

Couldn't you just run Tiagra or 105 9 speed STI shifters on that?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Caelum wrote:Yeah, i really don't follow.

If you have MTB crankset, MTB RD, MTB cassette, are the cable pull ratios different between MTB and road derailleurs?
It would seem so from what I have read, which is why the mix.

Couldn't you just run Tiagra or 105 9 speed STI shifters on that?
Seems not or maybe with shifter aid, don't know. I have not found anything to suggest this is a viable proposition. Note that one needs Campy 10 speed for the 9 speed MTB components.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:53 pm

G'day

This is a good read on the topic ....http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 and from this article, the nut of the issue:

This portmanteau word combines a Shimano mech and cassette with Campagnolo Ergopower shifters. It keeps cropping up on this page because that's such a very useful thing to be able to do. The reason for that is Shimano gives more choice of rear mechs and cassettes, since their road and mountain bike systems all work the same with regard to rear indexing. And their cassettes are a bit narrower so there's less wheel dish, plus you can use a mountain-bike hub for even stronger wheels. Snag is, Shimano's front indexing is NOT the same for road and mountain, so if you want dropped bars and STI shifters you're stuck with big roadie chainwheels. In their wisdom however, Campagnolo do not index the front shift, just provide a kind of micro-ratchet – three or four clicks per chainring – so you can use whatever front mech and chainset you like with Ergopower controls.

Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Right, so it is all to do with the indexing on the front shifter.

I guess if you wanted to, you could run a campy left shifter, and shimano right.... but i'm thinking that if you're spending lots of time on the hoods, you might be put off by the difference in feeling between the two shapes of shifters..

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Caelum wrote:I guess if you wanted to, you could run a campy left shifter, and shimano right.... but i'm thinking that if you're spending lots of time on the hoods, you might be put off by the difference in feeling between the two shapes of shifters..
I guess you could but really can't see the point.

Andrew

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Saves messing around with the gearing hacks you have to do for campy gear, is all i was thinking.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:21 pm

Caelum wrote:Saves messing around with the gearing hacks you have to do for campy gear, is all i was thinking.
There shouldn't be any issues with campy gear if I get the right shifters.

Andrew