MTB Purchase

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

MTB Purchase

Postby enan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:08 pm

G'day,

I am after some advice on which MTB to buy. (A bit like asking how long a piece of string is perhaps). Some details to help you help me:

Looking to buy a MTB to be used almost exclusively at Eagle MTB Park (Eagle on the Hill South Oz.)

Staring down old age at 40 and will push things abit but won't be entering any big air comps. I'm pretty fit and weigh 90kg so want something that is strong and lasts. I don't want to be mucking around with too many adjustments/ maintenance but can see the sense in lockouts. Kinda interested to go with full suspension for the comfort and handling benefits.

What "style" (XC/ all terrain etc?) of bike will suit me and what should my minimum budget be? Any features I should insist on (eg: hydro disks, bearing suspension, minimum travel)? Any good bargains in Adelaide at the moment?

Thanks for your help!
enan

by BNA » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:21 pm

BNA

Postby Bnej » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:21 pm

You probably want an XC bike in dual suspension, probably aim to pay at least $2000. Below about $1800 you won't get good quality dual suspension bikes.

Downhill bikes are only good if you don't plan to pedal much, due to the very heavy construction.

Hydraulic Discs and other such fancy things ought to come standard on such a bike. Look at bikes like the Trek Fuel, and whatever the equivalent Giant is.

If you don't want to spend that much, go for a hard tail, as you'll get better quality components rather than cheap suspension for your money.
Bnej

Postby rider06 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:28 pm

The best way to do this would be for you to decide on a budget, then look around at what's available but as a general guide I would suggest not bothering with dual-suspension for less than about $2000, but you can get an excellent hardtail top spec and v/good frame & fork for around $1200 - $1500. I have found that the more you spend up front, the less you will have to (or more likely want to) spend down the track.

The other thing to do is look at the terrain you will be riding. I personally don't know anything about Eagle Park, but look at how hilly, rough the tracks etc are like - that should guide your decision - there is no point having a super-light XC race machine and bombing it off big drop offs or a downhill type rig for tight, technical hilly tracks. Between those two would be an all mountain set up - strong enough to take decent hits, yet light enough to tackle hills without blowing you up.

Best thing is to ride before you buy - a good bikeshop will also have a resident MTBer who will be able to advise you on what you need.
rider06

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:01 pm

G'Day Enan, welcome :)

I had a look at Eagle MTB Park's website. Sounds like Nirvana 8)

If you must go for the extra weight and complication of a dually, I agree with Bnej and rider06 here, look at $2000 up for reasonable quality frame and bits. Of course you could go nuts, say here :lol:

Based on type of riding you should be looking at a four to five inch travel rear with similar fork. A well designed rear end with a good platform shock shouldn't really need lockout, but, horses for courses.

There's plenty of rear end designs to consider, each having its own trade offs. Look at a single pivot cantilever beam if you want simple, a horst linked, four bar linkage for most pedalling efficiency. There's plenty more to think of like whether you can carry a bottle cage :shock: and SRAM or Shimano components.

Good luck and have fun :wink:

Shaun
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Buying a bike / parts