Magnificent riding weather

tuco

Magnificent riding weather

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:16 am

Bloody hell the weather has been great for riding lately.

Today is a perfect example.
It's been dead calm from 3am to 8am with the breeze picking up to 7km/h at 9am. At our usual riding time of 5:30 to 7am it was 19 to 21C and dead calm. Currently 26C at 9am.

It's going to make for a great weekend of riding with a low pace ride tomorrow morning and a race Sunday morning.

It's days like this I wish I was retired.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:22 am

Not quite the same here today.

Been raining. Lots. Good for some, but average for riding.

Managed to find a break in the weather though this morning, and set out for 38.5km at abou 4:40am. Roads were wet, minor rain here & there, but overall it wasn't bad.

Mental note within 50m of the start - get that dodgy looking mudguard set for the bike.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:14 am

Finally did my first outdoor ride for the week this morning. Could have done it yesterday but got up late. And now the clouds are back again...

Has anyone noticed that the body performs less well after even after just one day's rest, let alone 2-3 days. I usually take Mon off at least after all the weekend riding. And without fail, the first ride after that rest is always tougher than those on subsequent days'. As if those joints needed to be restretched.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:54 am

sogood wrote: Has anyone noticed that the body performs less well after even after just one day's rest, let alone 2-3 days. I usually take Mon off at least after all the weekend riding. And without fail, the first ride after that rest is always tougher than those on subsequent days'. As if those joints needed to be restretched.
I actually find the opposite. I feel better after a days rest.
Our fitness levels may be different though. I'm still in the building up leg muscle stage so they do get a little sore and a days rest does wonders.

Because of this I do the hard work early in the week, rest Friday (hooray, that's today), a light ride Saturday and race Sunday.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:09 am

tuco wrote:I actually find the opposite. I feel better after a days rest.
Our fitness levels may be different though. I'm still in the building up leg muscle stage so they do get a little sore and a days rest does wonders.

Because of this I do the hard work early in the week, rest Friday (hooray, that's today), a light ride Saturday and race Sunday.
Well, I suspect our fitness levels are similar and I am still building too. I agree with what you said and that's logical and comforms to all the writing out there. I am not sure if it's mental or physical thing that I am experiencing. The first day of return just feels strange with lower drive, tires easier. But the next and subsequent days I'll be back to myself and are able to cope with the course better. Maybe I just have to drive out that lazy bug on the first day. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:51 am

I had the same problem sogood. Last night was my first ride of the week. I was expecting to be able to set a new PB on my favourite ride due to the few days of rest however I had that dead feeling after just a few minutes.

I think that I need to commute to work by bike daily to stay at my peak :)
Anthony.

LuckyPierre

Re: Magnificent riding weather

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:20 pm

tuco wrote: ... dead calm from 3am to 8am with the breeze picking up to 7km/h at 9am. At our usual riding time of 5:30 to 7am it was 19 to 21C and dead calm. Currently 26C at 9am ...
I wasn't up at 3am, but from 8am to 11am it was 8.3 to 12C, wind gusting to 13km - but I agree, lovely weather for riding. Everything is relative. :wink:

pospete

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:04 am

Yes it's lovely riding weather, but instead I'll go out on the bike :lol: Oh no it's raining. That'll upset Bracksie :lol:
Talk to the hand

tuco

Re: Magnificent riding weather

Postby tuco » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:54 am

LuckyPierre wrote:
tuco wrote: ... dead calm from 3am to 8am with the breeze picking up to 7km/h at 9am. At our usual riding time of 5:30 to 7am it was 19 to 21C and dead calm. Currently 26C at 9am ...
I wasn't up at 3am, but from 8am to 11am it was 8.3 to 12C, wind gusting to 13km - but I agree, lovely weather for riding. Everything is relative. :wink:
I wasn't up at 3am either :shock: , hell I'm not silly. That's from the BOM weather site.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:29 pm

I kind of figured that. The half hourly observations page is a good (or should that be bad?) thing to check before you head out.

tuco

Postby tuco » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:37 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:I kind of figured that. The half hourly observations page is a good (or should that be bad?) thing to check before you head out.
It's brilliant. It's hard to judge the weather when it's still dark outside so I check that and the radar every morning during the wet season just so I don't have any nasty surprises mid ride. I've saved myself from several drenchings.