To nod or not to nod - that is the question

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:02 pm

I make special effort to look friendly when nodding/waving to MTBs and BMX riders. Bless their little hearts, struggling along.... :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:22 pm

When you overtake a rider going at twice their speed, you get the occassional rider that gives you a black look when you say "morning" as you go past. It would appear that they think you are being a smarty.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:44 pm

mikesbytes wrote:When you overtake a rider going at twice their speed, you get the occassional rider that gives you a black look when you say "morning" as you go past. It would appear that they think you are being a smarty.
Yeah, but don' t it feel good :D Thats one advantage to being my age and size and riding my style of bike :twisted:

Richard

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:35 am

I thin it depends on what bike your on at the time, well, at least in my case.

When I'm on the roadie, I reckon I average 50% returned grettings from all other cyclists.

When I'm on the MTB, I reckon the percentage of returned greeting (especially from roadies) drops to about 30%.

I generally have a laugh when I don't receive a returned greeting. I'm out there having fun, wether you say hello or not.

What about when your in the zone, at full concentration, working your way up a hill, when another passes you with a "Morning" and it totally scares the crap about of you.

Stay safe.
Kev.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:46 am

Here's an interesting thought...

If your were fortunate enought to participate in the Spring Cycle or City To the Gong rides, how many hellos did you get?

Out of the thousands that were there I might have recieved only a handful at the beginning, but when it came to pumping the pedals, it was all business. Everyone was in there own world. In fact, through the national park with the killer hills, there was an eerie silence...

So I agree with Kev365428, that when you're in the zone, I think every cyclists will be "all business". Pleasantries can wait...after all the pain... :twisted:

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:53 am

Kev365428 wrote: What about when your in the zone, at full concentration, working your way up a hill, when another passes you with a "Morning" and it totally scares the crap about of you.

Stay safe.
Kev.
Now I'm a member of the cycling club, going on training rides and racing I have to acknowledge all greetings, even if 4 lanes of traffic and a median strip away because I honestly have no idea if they are someone I know or just someone being friendly.

And what's worse that Kev's example?
A ute passing you and a massive dog going, "WOOF!" and you tensing up so badly you almost pull a muscle. It's even worse at lights because you can't disguise the fright.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:56 am

mikesbytes wrote:When you overtake a rider going at twice their speed, you get the occassional rider that gives you a black look when you say "morning" as you go past. It would appear that they think you are being a smarty.
That's a hard one isn't it? It's a case of you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Like this morning I was on my exercise ride doing loops on the Lilyfield Rd hill. I stood and went past this other roadie who was just spinning and said a short "morning" as I went past. I have no idea what kind of reaction my short greeting generated. One thing for sure, I didn't get a return message.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:01 am

tuco wrote:Now I'm a member of the cycling club, going on training rides and racing I have to acknowledge all greetings, even if 4 lanes of traffic and a median strip away because I honestly have no idea if they are someone I know or just someone being friendly.

And what's worse that Kev's example?
A ute passing you and a massive dog going, "WOOF!" and you tensing up so badly you almost pull a muscle. It's even worse at lights because you can't disguise the fright.
Tuco, that's an issue with smaller cities and townships. :wink:

Here in the inner west of Sydney, there's a bunch of social and racing clubs covering my area. And then there are commuters from afar going through my suburb on their way into the city and beyond. So the chance of crossing someone I know is not particularly high.

As for the woof woof kind, you'll just have to check your sixes more often. :wink:
Last edited by sogood on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:04 am

Interesting observation Mr888 about the Spring Cycle and Gong rides.

I did both and apart from the very start of the race where you exchange pleasantries with other riders near you, I never gave another thought to say hi to other cyclists.
Could it be because it was an organised event that we were all involved in, and not a chance meeting, or the fact that you quickly realise that you'll never stop greeting people if you say hi to all the cyclists you pass, or those that pass you?

I think most people say hi to others on the road because we are glad to see someone else sharing the experience of cycling. There more to the hi than just a greeting. It's more like a "Nice to see your enjoying yourself, like I am". The returned greeting helps to confirm that they are.

Tuco, the dog in the ute is especially annoying/embarassing. Very similar to the Harley that somehow manages to sneak up beside you just as the rider gives it a handfull.

Stay safe.
Kev.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 am

mikesbytes wrote:When you overtake a rider going at twice their speed, you get the occassional rider that gives you a black look when you say "morning" as you go past.
Did that one morning when I still had the MTB. Rode past a guy that was all decked out. Got the absolute filthiest look imaginable when I said morning as I passed. About 500m later he went past a deal faster again, but to me the damage was done.

The grin was HUGE :lol:

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:47 am

What about the opposite problem - you're all decked out in your best cycling gear, just ridden 30+km at a good pace and you're nearing home so you drop the pace down to a recovery speed (maybe mid 20s then low 20s) but you're thinking people will be staring and pointing saying, "He should be riding faster with all this colourful gear on, what a loser."

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:04 am

tuco wrote:What about the opposite problem - you're all decked out in your best cycling gear, just ridden 30+km at a good pace and you're nearing home so you drop the pace down to a recovery speed (maybe mid 20s then low 20s) but you're thinking people will be staring and pointing saying, "He should be riding faster with all this colourful gear on, what a loser."
Have more confidence in yourself! :wink:

The joke should be on them as they don't understand the importance of a good warm down. :D

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:55 am

sogood wrote:
tuco wrote:What about the opposite problem - you're all decked out in your best cycling gear, just ridden 30+km at a good pace and you're nearing home so you drop the pace down to a recovery speed (maybe mid 20s then low 20s) but you're thinking people will be staring and pointing saying, "He should be riding faster with all this colourful gear on, what a loser."
Have more confidence in yourself! :wink:

The joke should be on them as they don't understand the importance of a good warm down. :D
I suppose there's nothing to worry about because road users don't see cyclists anyway.

The joke will be on them as I ride by their funeral procession because they didn't keep themselves fit and healthy.

kslim

Postby kslim » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:52 pm

sogood wrote:
That's a hard one isn't it? It's a case of you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Like this morning I was on my exercise ride doing loops on the Lilyfield Rd hill. I stood and went past this other roadie who was just spinning and said a short "morning" as I went past. I have no idea what kind of reaction my short greeting generated. One thing for sure, I didn't get a return message.
Earlier this year, after Christmas/NY (ie : not in very good condition), I was puffing and grinding my way up this hill when this other guy rides alongside and starts a conversation about the weather!! He must have thought my monosyllabic answers were really rude or something.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:47 pm

Mr888 wrote: ... through the national park with the killer hills, there was an eerie silence...
Punctuated only with a wheezing chorus of: "Heerrr, haarr .. heerrr, haaarr .. heeer, haarr ..... ". Sounds like me!

pospete

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:02 am

Earlier this year, after Christmas/NY (ie : not in very good condition), I was puffing and grinding my way up this hill when this other guy rides alongside and starts a conversation about the weather!! He must have thought my monosyllabic answers were really rude or something.[/quote]

he was probably just admiring the view from behind :lol:
Talk to the hand

kslim

Postby kslim » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:16 am

pospete wrote:Earlier this year, after Christmas/NY (ie : not in very good condition), I was puffing and grinding my way up this hill when this other guy rides alongside and starts a conversation about the weather!! He must have thought my monosyllabic answers were really rude or something.

he was probably just admiring the view from behind :lol:[/quote]

I got a really good view of his behind after he zoomed off up the hill leaving me struggling for breath more than before.