it was cool this morning!

pugsly

it was cool this morning!

Postby pugsly » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:31 am

I've been slack for a couple of weeks, rode in this morning. First time I've started off with a jacket on. There were visibly less cyclists and runners out there, I didn't see anyone on a bike until I got to Battlestar Galactica (Coles Myer building at Tooronga).

I don't know if it's a product of the cold (and my body not having to work as hard to stay cool) or if it's my fitness level increasing, but I was pretty happy with my stats versus the last time I wrote them down.

Here's the comparison:

March 15 / April 27
Start time: 06:16 / 05:54
End time: 07:44 / 07:22
Trip time: 1'28" / 1'28"
Ride time: 1'20" / 1'13"
Avg Spd: 18.42 / 20.12
Avg Cad: 75 / 82
Distance: 24.82km / 24.81km
Max Spd: 49.37km/h / 50.8km/h
HR Max: 189 / 176
HR Avg: 159 / 150
Cals Burn: 1299 (40% Fat) / 909 (45% Fat)

Do you find it easier/you perform better in the cooler temperatures?

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:47 am

Nup - kills me when it's cold. Legs don't work. Mind you, my definition of 'cold' is less than 12C.

Good results puglsy! Just get the cadence up to protect your knees. Mine have been playing up horribly for the last week, so I'm off the bike for a while to see if they come good. While the advances in knee repair keep on coming, it's better to avoid the need in the first place.

And if anyone says 'Glucosamine' - I'll smack them. No conclusive proof it works, and trials don't indicate any benefit for knees.

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:50 am

MJF wrote:
And if anyone says 'Glucosamine' - I'll smack them. No conclusive proof it works, and trials don't indicate any benefit for knees.
I have a customer who's an orthopaedic surgeon and he swears by the stuff.
He has a rooted knee and didn't believe it helped so he went off it and he suffered until he went back on it.

If it gets cold up here I'll let you know how I go.

MrT

Postby MrT » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:54 am

Im no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that the colder the temperature, the more dense the air, and therefore the more oxygen you can breath in each breath. Im not too sure how much this would affect you as a cyclist, but I know that it affects cars a small amount performance wise.

Good work none the less though,

Cheers,

Dan

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:16 am

MrT wrote:Im no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that the colder the temperature, the more dense the air, and therefore the more oxygen you can breath in each breath.
Don't forget to take into account of the increased air resistance with that denser wall of air molecules... Wack! :wink:

Let's see, Combined Gas Law should give an indication,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_gas_law
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:17 am

Yeah - but for most of us (the guys), the advantage of extra oxygen is offset by the discomfort of brass monkey syndrome. <sarcasm> I can't wait until sub-zero mornings </sarcasm>

Edit : and some stuff on glucosamine.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:25 am

i'm with MJF, the cold seems to snuff out my fire :).

Ive seen a new type of knee surgery on the tele and the folks who have had it done claim very good results, basically they use a nail punch and make small punctures in the damaged area which then starts to bleed and this increased blood flow while the punctures are healing also repairs the rough surface areas.

MrT

Postby MrT » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:37 am

sogood wrote:
MrT wrote:Im no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that the colder the temperature, the more dense the air, and therefore the more oxygen you can breath in each breath.
Don't forget to take into account of the increased air resistance with that denser wall of air molecules... Wack! :wink:

Touche :) Thats the last time I try to sound smart :P

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:51 am

MrT wrote:Im no scientist, but I'm pretty sure that the colder the temperature, the more dense the air, and therefore the more oxygen you can breath in each breath. Im not too sure how much this would affect you as a cyclist, but I know that it affects cars a small amount performance wise.

Good work none the less though,

Cheers,

Dan
Temperature related to the speed of the molecules and not the density.

You would have to take into account the air pressure. Is the cold caused by a high pressure system sitting over head or cold antarctic air from a low pressure system up from the south.

I won't even get started on humidity. I have no idea how that would fit into the equation.

I think the only thing we know for sure is that some of us don't have much work to do.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:55 am

MrT wrote:
sogood wrote:

Touche :) Thats the last time I try to sound smart :P
But you probably have a point as long as you stay under 30kph. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Imanewbie wrote: Ive seen a new type of knee surgery on the tele and the folks who have had it done claim very good results, basically they use a nail punch and make small punctures in the damaged area which then starts to bleed and this increased blood flow while the punctures are healing also repairs the rough surface areas.
Sounds very interesting - there are some other less intrusives ones using magnetic fields to stimulate cartilage growth (available in India & Pakistan, I think) and some other nasty ones involving injections into the knee to cause inflammation and healing.

Actually, the husband of my supervisor already tried the nail punch technique, except he used a 40mm nail, that ended up half the nail in the end of his femur and the head stuck under the knee cap. I don't think it improved the condition of his knee. I think he is more careful with the nail gun now.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:42 pm

Under 30kph in still air, the air resistiance dosn't feel significant. As you go over 30kph the air resistance is more noticable and seems to increase expotentially.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:19 pm

MJF wrote: Actually, the husband of my supervisor already tried the nail punch technique, except he used a 40mm nail, that ended up half the nail in the end of his femur and the head stuck under the knee cap. I don't think it improved the condition of his knee. I think he is more careful with the nail gun now.
Thats gotta hurt!! ouch!! i think i would prefer the surgical version :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:46 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Under 30kph in still air, the air resistiance dosn't feel significant. As you go over 30kph the air resistance is more noticable and seems to increase expotentially.
More than you ever needed to know of=r want to know about the effect of wind speed on cycling ....

http://wwwrses.anu.edu.au/~david/bikes/

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

MJF

Postby MJF » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:57 pm

Imanewbie wrote:Thats gotta hurt!! ouch!! i think i would prefer the surgical version :lol:
It didn't tickle. Twelve hours before they removed the nail... he got it back for Christmas in a picture frame.

531db

Postby 531db » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 pm

I am a user of, and swear by Glucosamine and Fish Oil.

It has enabled to keep up my Audax riding with much reduced knee pain issues.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 pm

Imanewbie wrote: ... basically they use a nail punch and make small punctures in the damaged area which then starts to bleed and this increased blood flow while the punctures are healing also repairs the rough surface areas ...
My surgeon would shudder at the 'nail punch' remark, but 'roughening of the articular cartiledge' has been used to promote re-growth for a few years now.
But, and it's a really big BUT, if some-one took to the shiny chrome surfaces (or the plastic ones, for that matter) in my knee with a nail puch, I would take to them witha blunt instrument!
And, while I'm at it (sorry 531db) glucosamine / chrondotin et al. have very limited capacity to help anyone with even moderately advanced osteo-arthritis. I'm not arguing, just jealous of those who can (and do) get some benefit. :?

pospete

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:06 am

[quote="Imanewbie"]i'm with MJF, the cold seems to snuff out my fire :).

Nothing quite like having your assets frozen!
Talk to the hand

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:04 pm

531db wrote:I am a user of, and swear by Glucosamine and Fish Oil.
X2, Knee, shoulder and back feel worse after a week off.

pospete

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Frozen Assets= Chilled Prospects :lol:
Talk to the hand

pospete

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
531db wrote:I am a user of, and swear by Glucosamine and Fish Oil.
X2, Knee, shoulder and back feel worse after a week off.

Definatly, and I also like sardines on toast. And very occasionally in the right situation I'm rather partial to Baby Oil :lol:
Talk to the hand

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:27 pm

BTW Pugsley ====> Well done.

Average of 1.4kph faster with an average heart beat of 9 lower.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Baby oil eh?

Do you drink it, cook with it or use it for chain lube :?: :twisted:

MJF

Postby MJF » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:34 am

pospete wrote:Frozen Assets= Chilled Prospects :lol:
I already have four kids, so I think the wife would be happier if the prospects were chilled. Then again... I still have two spare seats in the van...

(Truth is - if she was guaranteed another girl, she would be happy to have another one. Makes up for three boys in a row).