Screw or rivet: what to do

drevil

Screw or rivet: what to do

Postby drevil » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:53 pm

I want to attach a second drink holder to my wife's Trek MTB and the problem is that there is only 1 set of threads for 1 drink holder.

So, I have worked out where the new one will go, used cable ties for the past 2 months to make sure she is happy with it, but now I have to go to the next step and attach it securely.

So what are my options? I could use stainless stelf self tappers, but from my days of owning a boat, I know stainless & aluminium don't like each other too much. I could use alloy rivets, but I think with constantly pulling a water botle in and out would eventually loosen them and create a problem for myself.

What does everybody think? Any other suggestions?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:59 pm

Becareful. Bike tubing are typically very thin, they won't be able to hold a thread without some weld-on reinforcement inside or outside.

I'd say you'll be better off to use one of those tie-on solutions. Or there are bottle holders you can attach to seatpost or handlebar.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:07 pm

I wouldn't go drilling holes in the frame at all. Rivets might work but I share your concerns. There isn't enough metal to tap the holes out nor to give a secure hold with a self tapping screw, that's without the issue of non-like metals.

Your best bet is to use clamps. You used to be able to buy drink bottle holders that clamped on, maybe you still can. Failing that, just search for a suitable clamping system. Hose clamps will do the job but are a tad unsightly, I would however, use them until something more suitable turned up - for instance, some plastic light clamps would do the job (many wouldn't). It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open.

A brutal job could be done with duct tape too - just tape the thing in place. It'd be effective but the aesthetics would be an issue.

A bit of tape under the clamp will stop it sliding around without excessive clamping pressure (something to think about on an ally frame).

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Just been down to the lbs to buy some bar tape (the other stuff didn't handle being scraped down the road at 30km/hr very well). I asked about bottle holders with clamps - 'no, they don't make them. There are too many different sized downtubes to make it worth it'. Yeah, right. The bicycle industry at its best - you buy what we want to fuss with and to hell with you :?

Anyways, you might find some old stock somewhere. Apparently there are some that use velcro but I wouldn't bother.

Richard

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:43 pm

europa wrote:Just been down to the lbs to buy some bar tape (the other stuff didn't handle being scraped down the road at 30km/hr very well). I asked about bottle holders with clamps - 'no, they don't make them. There are too many different sized downtubes to make it worth it'. Yeah, right. The bicycle industry at its best - you buy what we want to fuss with and to hell with you :?

Anyways, you might find some old stock somewhere. Apparently there are some that use velcro but I wouldn't bother.

Richard
Well - I don't know, but I saw some in an LBS here in Perth just last weekend when I was looking for a new bottle cage. Plastic, with a clamp that bolted together at the back.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:43 pm

You can get holders that hang off the back of the seat too I think.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:45 pm

uMP2k wrote:Well - I don't know, but I saw some in an LBS here in Perth just last weekend when I was looking for a new bottle cage. Plastic, with a clamp that bolted together at the back.
That's what really annoys me about the industry. You know stuff is available but if they don't have it on the floor, it doesn't exist. Sheesh, and they complain about loyalty and the internet.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Bnej wrote:You can get holders that hang off the back of the seat too I think.
For those in Adelaide, Super Elliots in Rundle Street do a single bottle plastic holder with a metal clamp that would work on a seat post or handle bar for the princely sum of $11.95 ea.

Profile make a 2 bottle Triathlon style holder that goes on the seat post for $54 that I have seen in a couple of shops (higher end though).

However, drilling holes in a frame would be equivalent to removing a few wheel nuts to save weight - quick road to absolute disaster :shock:

Cheers

Michael B

geoffs

Re: Screw or rivet: what to do

Postby geoffs » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:10 pm

drevil wrote:I want to attach a second drink holder to my wife's Trek MTB and the problem is that there is only 1 set of threads for 1 drink holder.

So, I have worked out where the new one will go, used cable ties for the past 2 months to make sure she is happy with it, but now I have to go to the next step and attach it securely.

So what are my options? I could use stainless stelf self tappers, but from my days of owning a boat, I know stainless & aluminium don't like each other too much. I could use alloy rivets, but I think with constantly pulling a water botle in and out would eventually loosen them and create a problem for myself.

What does everybody think? Any other suggestions?
What you should use are Rivnuts. These are a threaded insert that gets installed like a rivet. A special tool is required. here's a link to what they look like. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/h ... ivnuts.php
you might need to do some research as to where to get them in Aus.

Cheers

Geoff

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:11 pm

I wrap electrical tape around the frame and then use car radiator hose clamps to hold the cage onto the frame. They have to be a particular type of cage that has the lugs for the screw holes at each end. It makes it a lot easier to attach with this type.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:19 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:13 pm

I found the link to the article that I wrote with some pictures on some interesting ways and places to put water cages on your frame. There is seven fitted (2 oversized) to that bike.

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:02 pm

europa wrote:Just been down to the lbs to buy some bar tape (the other stuff didn't handle being scraped down the road at 30km/hr very well). I asked about bottle holders with clamps - 'no, they don't make them. There are too many different sized downtubes to make it worth it'. Yeah, right. The bicycle industry at its best - you buy what we want to fuss with and to hell with you :?

Richard
That's a load of bullsh**t they're trying to feed you. I've got a clamp-on one that I had on my last MTB and it worked a treat. It uses the same "over-centre" locking principle as the quick release mechanism on wheels and would fit a variety size of frame tubes. I'll see if I can see a brand name on it tomorrow and let you know who the manufacturer is.
Wayne

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:54 pm

A frame builder would be able to fit the "Rivnuts", if your local bike shop isn't able to. Good bike shops have a frame builder they contract their work to if they don't do frame repairs/mods on premises.