OMGosh that was fun

tallywhacker

OMGosh that was fun

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:40 pm

took the day off and rode a little later than usual today (just realised I can do that when I am the boss) so I am not used to the daily work traffic. Homeward bound, came up to a set of lights and double semi (pantech ?). Lights turned green, it took off and for some reason I decided to chase it. That was the most fun I have had for a while, half a biike length behind it, hit 48kph up hill. that's my limit at 75 inches fixed gear. When my wife caught up with me she called it my "breaking away moment". Illegal, dangerous but shite load of fun :D

bowie

Postby bowie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:55 pm

I broke a spoke the other day so my bike is looking very much unloved :'(

*cries* I want to go truck racing too *cries more*
b is for bicycle :D

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:09 pm

I've raced a truck! On my way home there is a little detour through an industrial area that is typically dead quite. As I rounded the corner a truck was coming out of a drive way, so I slowed to let him out. He slowed and put a hand out the window to wave me past, while revving his engine. It was on!

We went side by side until near the turn when he slackened off and let me take it first. I waved and took off up the hill and around the bend.

All good fun. They're not all d!ckheads.

David

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Do it all the time here behind tractors....they max out around 50kph,perfect for breaking wind plus they sit so high you can see the road underneath really well.
Best ever was on the M2 in moderate traffic headng towards city,this guy set it up for us perfectly and pulled 3 of us along for over 10km at around 60-70....sweet!.

....gold!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdg91Z0VgDw

CoffsGal

Re: OMGosh that was fun

Postby CoffsGal » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:22 pm

tallywhacker wrote: came up to a set of lights and double semi (pantech ?). Lights turned green, it took off and for some reason I decided to chase it. That was the most fun I have had for a while, half a biike length behind it, hit 48kph up hill. that's my limit at 75 inches fixed gear.
You rebel tallywhacker...

There is a guy here in Coffs who regularly slip streams trucks up the Pacific Highway for kms on end...he managed 83kmh the other day (I saw the speedo), which is not uncommon for him...he rubs the dust from the rear bumper bar of the truck with his front wheel as he hurtles along...he is 60yo and does between 500km to 800km per week...makes my 150km to 200km a week seem very tame indeed...

He has lots of scars too by the way...so don't try this at home.

He also does the 500km (in 24 hours) Romac Ridesolo...

Must follow him on the motorbike one day and video the spectacle.

Emma

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Trucksitting is crazy dangerous but a huge blast, definitely one to try.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:57 pm

While it's a sort of "right of passage" and I too have done this many years ago, it is not to be recommended.

I have witnessed what can go wrong and it wasn't pretty seeing my buddy on the deck, under the truck that had to brake, unconcious with blood pouring out the back of his cracked skull. And he had a helmet too.

It was also interesting to note the reactions of the others in the group. Some kept their cool, dealing with the situation, managing traffic, emergency help etc while others were freaking out, completely useless, scared shitless their friend was going to die (he wasn't).

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Excerpt from my 322km ride on Saturday last:

Gingin to Toodyay leg 73k: My achievement for the day was out climbing a truck with trailer & full load up a 7% slope for 3.5kms. I waved him on a couple of times but he wasn't able to respond - then I dropped him. Unbeknownst to me, my mate was hanging on to the trailer & had to brake to stop himself going under the trailer when the truck changed down! My mate was happy to get a lift up the hill and I was happy to win the points against the truck :D (not sure what points category that would be?)
Last edited by cavebear2 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:34 pm

I know it was pretty stupid but a rush of blood in the silly season. Have to content myself to doing that sort of thing behind the motorbike on the track.

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:14 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I've raced a truck!

All good fun. They're not all d!ckheads.

David
I'm glad that more people are realising this.....Me being a truck driver.....Unfortunatly it is the d!ckheads that everybody remembers, not those of us doing the right thing.
Andrew

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:46 pm

I have to add that the truck* drivers I see on my commute in Canberra are true professionals. No problems if you keep out of the way and make sure they can see you in their mirrors.

Don't forget they're at work and you're just showing off.

*Sorry I can't say the same about Action bus drivers.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Drafting trucks......It's F@#$%(AT)%(AT) dangerous kids, don't do it! :D 8) :wink:

on the other hand, going through an intersection can be dangerous as well,
especially when some crunt in a car doesn't pay attention to stop signs.
I've had that happen more than once :roll:

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:55 am

Drafting big vehicles is top fun. I got a bus the other day and managed to hit 48kph before I couldn't take any more.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:04 am

eucryphia wrote:I have to add that the truck* drivers I see on my commute in Canberra are true professionals. No problems if you keep out of the way and make sure they can see you in their mirrors.

Don't forget they're at work and you're just showing off.

*Sorry I can't say the same about Action bus drivers.
Agree!!!! I've only had two truck incidents in two years, but the number of bus incidents is amazing. They must have 'bad attitude towards cyclists' as an employment conditions.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:06 am

tallywhacker wrote:...it was pretty stupid but a rush of blood in the silly season....
hehe, thats why it was the 'Breaking Away' moment tally. Watch out for Team Cinzano! :wink:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:16 am

I raced a bus home the other day. first saw it about 3km from home but it goes a different way to what i do. However near my house we both arrive at the same intersection. I resolved to make it to the intersection first, but the bus just pipped me! tried to race it up the hill but still no luck. He had to stop though to let someone off so i took my chance and sped past. i managed to get halfway up the next hill before he caught me again. definitely a good thing to motivate you towards the end of a ride, but i thought afterwards it was pretty dangerous too and so i might not do it again.
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I got to draft an SUV towing a boat this morning. He passed me then as he slowed to go around a corner, I caught up. So I thought the same as 'Tally' and the chase was on. I stayed with him till he turned off some 2kms later (45 -50kph). The guy spotted me in the mirrors early and smiled then we went through a kink and he saw me again and a surprised look crossed his face. :shock: What a HOOT :lol:
Wazza

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:23 pm

I have done the slipstream thing with a truck as ayoung fella in the past also and I agree it is fun. However having driven trucks and had to change multiple recapped trailer tyres I would think twice now. The caps are pretty heavy and do alot of damage to the wheel wells, rip off mudguards etc when they let go. I would not like to be hit by one while sitting behind a truck at speed

fitz

Postby fitz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Growing up in rural Ireland we used to do it all the time. All the truckies at a quarry a few miles out the road used to let me and my mate slipstream them. They would signal hazards and slow if they dropped us. I loved the disapproving looks from other motorists who did not realise the "agreement".
Great for speed work! Though I'm sure I rotted some lung from the diesel fumes.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Heh, good when you find drivers who understand what you're doing. Truckies or otherwise. Mucho fun.

The danger I see, and I think someone else mentioned is when truck tyres, especially retreads give out. And they frequently do. That's a massive piece of rubber. You don't want to run into even a stationary one of those in your car, let alone hitting one at effectively 80+km/h (it 40km/h backwards + you 40km/h forwards) on a bike.