Park Tool pre-glued patches

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:13th flat this year, in RNP just past flat rock.
Wow! Cheaper tyres just don't suit your weight and power. Time to dump those 25s for your Pro2Race.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:50 pm

Ive had my tyres slashed before, nearly cut my tyre in half off the rim it was so deep...gotta love high school :shock:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:00 pm

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:13th flat this year, in RNP just past flat rock.
Wow! Cheaper tyres just don't suit your weight and power. Time to dump those 25s for your Pro2Race.
year time to put some new rubber on the OCR. I'm not blaming the tyres though.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:03 pm

Ca
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:55 pm

I've got 2 pro race 2's sitting in the cupboard, 1 conti ultraspeed 1 50% worn rubino pro.

I might shift the existing front pro race 2 to the rear to wear it out and put a new pro race 2 on the front.

The Dynamites are good tyres, but I'll deplete my existing stocks.

Need some new tyres for the track bike.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:13 pm

Retired my first ever bicycle tyre today. Approx 4500+km on a Conti GP4000 used at the rear. There's still some life left according to the wear indicator on the tyre but there's a big piece of rubber missing which exposed the Vectran belt deep within.

Richardwestmelb

Re: Park Tool pre-glued patches

Postby Richardwestmelb » Thu May 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Bnej wrote:Used one this morning. Seems to have worked really well.

Went to my normal Sat morning ride, no-one else showed because it was a bit drizzly, so I did the ride on my own. About 15km in it started really raining, I had lights on for extra visibility & got really wet & dirty.

So 27ks in, I start to hear a hiss noise, check back tyre, little shard of glass sticking in through the tyre. Fortunately there was a little shelter not far from where I got the flat, so I got under cover and had a look at my fix kit.

Removed the glass, pulled the tube out (didn't take the whole thing out), pumped it up a bit to find the leak, sanded area, remove backing & apply patch. Pumped it up again as soon as I got the tyre back on the rim and it all seems fine.

It's a neat little patch kit, very small little plastic box with 5 patches and a tiny bit of sandpaper. The patch stuck very firmly on the tube, think best to avoid your fingers.

Also was my first occasion to use my Blackburn Airstik pump, very good, got it pumped back up to good road pressure in no time flat. Total procedure was I think under 15 minutes, not bad considering I hadn't done it before.

I tried them on the mountain bike and founf they worked fine, sanding and having a dry clean surface is the way to go. On the Road bike I find they tend to leak/lif t off once you go above about 70 PSI, have gone back to patches with glue.

sogood

Re: Park Tool pre-glued patches

Postby sogood » Thu May 03, 2007 12:19 pm

Richardwestmelb wrote:I tried them on the mountain bike and founf they worked fine, sanding and having a dry clean surface is the way to go. On the Road bike I find they tend to leak/lif t off once you go above about 70 PSI, have gone back to patches with glue.
Interesting number and certainly makes sense. Unfortunately at 70psi for a road tyre, it'll be asking for pinch flats.

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon May 07, 2007 4:19 pm

WHat is that tiny little tube for that comes in the patch kit?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 07, 2007 4:59 pm

gururug wrote:WHat is that tiny little tube for that comes in the patch kit?
Cement/vulcanizing agent used with conventional patches.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 07, 2007 5:14 pm

sogood wrote:Retired my first ever bicycle tyre today. Approx 4500+km on a Conti GP4000 used at the rear. There's still some life left according to the wear indicator on the tyre but there's a big piece of rubber missing which exposed the Vectran belt deep within.
During our ride the other day, managed to catch some glass, so when we had a quick stop on top of the hill, thouroughly checke dthe tyres for anything embedded.

I was shocked at how many cuts were in the rear tyre, and managed to dig one piece out taht wouuld have gotten me a flat in quick time.

So, my advice is, even if you didn't ride over anything noticeable, check the tyres regularly and try and prevent any flats.

BTW, I know it is off topic, but Torpedo7 have Vittoria Rubino Pro's for $19.99 each !!!

Bugger I don't have a credit card .....

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon May 07, 2007 5:25 pm

Well it's been a week and have had the tyres at around 100psi. Patch is holding fine.

The guy from the bike store says they're the best he's used, provided you clean and sand the area, and brush off any remaining sand from the area.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 07, 2007 6:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:So, my advice is, even if you didn't ride over anything noticeable, check the tyres regularly and try and prevent any flats.
Check and wipe down the tyres after every ride should be the standard operating procedure. It doesn't take much time at all if you turn it into a routine.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon May 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Tiny rubber tube I assume? Many, many years ago, there was a type of valve that had the rubber tube over the valve body to act as the valve. I haven't seen one of these valves in about 20 years... but all the repair kits used to have a spare 'valve'.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon May 07, 2007 9:07 pm

Was it a tube? Some modern kits provide a piece of rubber that is a solid cylinder - it's used for plugging holes in the TYRE, not to keep the air in, but to keep the tube in. I've heard people rave about how important this is, never seen the point meself.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 07, 2007 10:23 pm

Kits often include a small hollow rubber tube. This is to replace the rubber on a dunlop valve. Haven't seen a dunlop valve in years.

Burn plenty of Glycogen

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue May 08, 2007 8:06 am

mikesbytes wrote:Kits often include a small hollow rubber tube. This is to replace the rubber on a dunlop valve. Haven't seen a dunlop valve in years.
They went out with the dinosaurs ... yes, I used them as a kid. Got a bike in the back shed that still has them fitted :oops:

Richard

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue May 08, 2007 9:02 am

Well i'll be damned, that's what the tube is for :roll:

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue May 08, 2007 10:14 am

It's a tiny practice tube! :lol: :P :lol: :P
Just look deeper in the kit and you'll find the tiny little patches to practice with hahaha

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 08, 2007 11:21 am

europa wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Kits often include a small hollow rubber tube. This is to replace the rubber on a dunlop valve. Haven't seen a dunlop valve in years.
They went out with the dinosaurs ... yes, I used them as a kid. Got a bike in the back shed that still has them fitted :oops:

Richard
Great, thats where we can send them so they don't get wasted and clog up the landfill and drains.

What's the address Richard ??

:lol: