buying non-700x23 tubes

stryker84

buying non-700x23 tubes

Postby stryker84 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:16 am

torpedo7 always has 10 packs of 700x23 tubes at decent rates, but i'm running 28s. anyone know where i can get tubes cheap? or would i just have to get them at local store prices?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 am

Use them mate, they'll stretch out to 28 without any fuss at all (which reminds me, I have to buy a box - I'm riding without spare rubbers at the moment :shock: )

Richard

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:53 am

This might sound like a dumb question.... but why not just have one spare tube and a repair kit?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:57 am

MJF wrote:This might sound like a dumb question.... but why not just have one spare tube and a repair kit?
Not a silly question at all. It's quicker to change a whole tube on the side of the road than fix a puncture. The puncture may be too large to patch. The best move is to carry a tube and a repair kit - change the tube for the first puncture and, if you're unlucky, fix the second one :shock:

Last puncture I got was in pouring rain - it was a lot more fun patching that one at home :D

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:01 am

I do the same thing. I carry spare tubes on the bike and if they go flat, I swap them over and fix the punctures in the evening. It gives the glue longer to dry, and I can then check that they don't leak.

Murphy's law dictates that you will always get a puncture on a dangerous spot of road where you can't get off of the road due to the abundance of triple G thorns.

MJF

Postby MJF » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:23 am

europa wrote:
MJF wrote:This might sound like a dumb question.... but why not just have one spare tube and a repair kit?
Not a silly question at all. It's quicker to change a whole tube on the side of the road than fix a puncture. The puncture may be too large to patch. The best move is to carry a tube and a repair kit - change the tube for the first puncture and, if you're unlucky, fix the second one :shock:

Last puncture I got was in pouring rain - it was a lot more fun patching that one at home :D

Richard
Must be an echo around here...

europa

Postby europa » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:49 am

I reckon you pulled a sneaky edit on me (hmm, doesn't show). Okay, I misread it as - why have a spare tube and a repair kit. So there ttthhhhbbbpppp

With the price of tubes, especially in a bundle, why mess with patching at all, just toss the old one. Consumerism at its greatest.

Richard

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:13 pm

so, 23 will fit in my 28s? good to know. the torpedoo7 tubes are specced 700x19/23C, and mine was 700x28/32C, so i wasn't too sure.
didn't want to fork out the dosh (+P&H!) and then not be able to use them... though having said that, i'll probably get a full-on roadie, or swap over to 23 tyres sometime in the near future. :P

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:42 pm

europa wrote:I reckon you pulled a sneaky edit on me (hmm, doesn't show). Okay, I misread it as - why have a spare tube and a repair kit. So there ttthhhhbbbpppp

With the price of tubes, especially in a bundle, why mess with patching at all, just toss the old one. Consumerism at its greatest.

Richard
Tubes cost bugger all, at the moment you can get 10 tubes for $30 at Torpedo7. Patching is an enviornmental choice, but if you don't patch I still recommend that you have a go, as you need the skill, so you can do it on the road if necessary.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:08 am

stryker84 wrote:so, 23 will fit in my 28s? good to know. the torpedoo7 tubes are specced 700x19/23C, and mine was 700x28/32C, so i wasn't too sure.
didn't want to fork out the dosh (+P&H!) and then not be able to use them... though having said that, i'll probably get a full-on roadie, or swap over to 23 tyres sometime in the near future. :P
Yes they will, but they will be so stretched out that the tiniest puncture will make them go bang. Putting a 19/23c should be considered for emergencies only.
Most bike shops stock 28c tubes. If you want 10 see if they will do a deal but if you are getting that many punctures perhaps you should be getting a more puncture proof tyre.

Cheers

Geoff

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:03 pm

not that i need 10, but was considering the cost saving for bulk, as in 10 23C tubes from torpedo 7 is about $1.50 a tube. and it's not like i'll let them go out of date.

looks like a trip to the LBS then.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:47 pm

stryker84 wrote:not that i need 10, but was considering the cost saving for bulk, as in 10 23C tubes from torpedo 7 is about $1.50 a tube. and it's not like i'll let them go out of date.

looks like a trip to the LBS then.
Torpedo 7 has Live help online. It's very helpful. You should be able to get 28/32 at the same price. Just ask...they might even be cheaper if you ask nicely :wink:

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:39 pm

okay, i just emailed, got the reply, no joy.

none in stock, no plans to stock.

ah well, lbs it is then.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:10 pm

europa wrote: ... The best move is to carry a tube and a repair kit - change the tube for the first puncture and, if you're unlucky, fix the second one ...
That took care of my first run in with glass on today's ride, but the next one meant I was down to my last patch - ie. I'd used it, so I had to ride almost 25 km holding my breath (figuratively speaking) and keeping a very sharp eye out for more glass. My best (worst?) ride yet for punctures (both tyres, two times :? ). I knew that I shouldn't have said that my Evo's seemed more puncture resistant than the Pro2Race's! :cry:
ps. I got a good 'nod' score though - every rider that passed me (all three of them) offered to help and even two motorists. :o

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:01 am

LuckyPierre wrote:
europa wrote: ... The best move is to carry a tube and a repair kit - change the tube for the first puncture and, if you're unlucky, fix the second one ...
That took care of my first run in with glass on today's ride, but the next one meant I was down to my last patch - ie. I'd used it, so I had to ride almost 25 km holding my breath (figuratively speaking) and keeping a very sharp eye out for more glass. My best (worst?) ride yet for punctures (both tyres, two times :? ). I knew that I shouldn't have said that my Evo's seemed more puncture resistant than the Pro2Race's! :cry:
ps. I got a good 'nod' score though - every rider that passed me (all three of them) offered to help and even two motorists. :o
4 flats, that got to be a record for one ride. Hope you haven't jinxed me, I've had 12 flats this year so far.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info

europa

Postby europa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:16 pm

mikesbytes wrote:4 flats, that got to be a record for one ride. Hope you haven't jinxed me, I've had 12 flats this year so far.
You're obviously carrying too much weight. I've only had one flat this year :roll:

Richard :D
resident clydesdale

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:58 pm

europa wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:4 flats, that got to be a record for one ride. Hope you haven't jinxed me, I've had 12 flats this year so far.
You're obviously carrying too much weight. I've only had one flat this year :roll:

resident clydesdale
So its Jenny Craig for me ?

Burn plenty of Glycogen

531db

Postby 531db » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:23 pm

geoffs wrote

"Yes they will, but they will be so stretched out that the tiniest puncture will make them go bang. Putting a 19/23c should be considered for emergencies only.
Most bike shops stock 28c tubes. If you want 10 see if they will do a deal but if you are getting that many punctures perhaps you should be getting a more puncture proof tyre.

Cheers

Geoff"

Not true, 23C tubes in 28C tyres are fine. I use Tioga/Kenda 23C tubes in my Maxxis 28C's for zero punctures in about 10,000 km.

531db

pospete

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:46 pm

europa wrote:Use them mate, they'll stretch out to 28 without any fuss at all (which reminds me, I have to buy a box - I'm riding without spare rubbers at the moment :shock: )

Richard

Don't risk running out of rubbers! :lol:
Talk to the hand

pospete

Postby pospete » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:49 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
europa wrote:

resident clydesdale
So its Jenny Craig for me ?

Yes, but in what position? :lol:
Talk to the hand

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:51 pm

531db wrote:geoffs wrote

"Yes they will, but they will be so stretched out that the tiniest puncture will make them go bang. Putting a 19/23c should be considered for emergencies only.

Cheers

Geoff"

Not true, 23C tubes in 28C tyres are fine. I use Tioga/Kenda 23C tubes in my Maxxis 28C's for zero punctures in about 10,000 km.

531db
I just went through this exercise this morning and was reminded again of how much tension a 18/23c tube is under by the time it fills the volume of a 28c tyre.
Some people are just lucky. I have friends who did a 10,000km tour with no punctures and their tyres still had plenty of tread left. I'm amazed when a tyre lasts 3,000kms.
So go and give yourself a puncture and then try to repair the tube. Good luck fixing the split!
Cheers

Geoff

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:18 pm

geoffs wrote:
531db wrote:geoffs wrote

Cheers

Geoff"

531db
I just went through this exercise this morning and was reminded again of how much tension a 18/23c tube is under by the time it fills the volume of a 28c tyre.
Some people are just lucky. I have friends who did a 10,000km tour with no punctures and their tyres still had plenty of tread left. I'm amazed when a tyre lasts 3,000kms.
So go and give yourself a puncture and then try to repair the tube. Good luck fixing the split!
Cheers

Geoff
Isn't it interesting how 2 of the most experienced cyclist around can disagree.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:05 pm

well, i may just get a 10 pack of 19/23C tubes from torpedo7 anyway, even if they would be easier to puncture/harder to patch... to use as the emergency tube for underseat while riding.

would be more economical than an extra 28C tube from the LBS anyway, i went to pick one up (and i'm now back on the roads - hurrah!) and got hit with $10/tube from the shop i visited today. :shock:

even if they last a third of the distance compared to using a proper 28C tube, they're less than a third of the cost from torpedo7!