Canberra accident?

tuco

Canberra accident?

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 am

Was there a nasty race accident in Canberra on the weekend involving a car?

I heard a news report on the radio as we were driving back from our racing and then heard nothing about it on the TV news in the evening.
I'm curious because a few ladies from our club were racing down there this weekend.

I've heard Ruth Corset from our club got 4th so I'm assuming it wasn't her race which crashed because the race was stopped.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:43 am

Yes - womens race, the pack went down at the crest of a hill. Three hospitalised after being thrown into the path of a 4WD heading the other way, with one person from Sydney in a critical condition after being collected by the bull bar.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:10 pm

I came across the news last night through ABC TV's 7pm news. More write up below.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail ... ry=General

As it turned out, the critically injured rider (B grade women) was someone known by one of our club member. Last night he was hoping it wasn't her but this morning it's confirmed that it was. Not good.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

seddo

Postby seddo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Very tragic - I was working that day (ACT Ambulance) spoke that night with the crew who attended the case unfortunately the outcome may not be positive.

seddo

tuco

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:56 pm

Talk about bad luck and or timing. Good reason for always riding on the outside of the road, especially in a large pack.

There must have been several events in Canberra on the weekend.
Our ladies are B grade up here and they finished their race in Canberra.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:22 pm

seddo wrote:unfortunately the outcome may not be positive.
Meaning?

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 pm

MJF I think confidentiality regulations prevents them elaborating much further.

The question should be, what was the cause and can we do anything to stop a re-occurrence.

MJF

Postby MJF » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:26 pm

Sorry - my question was a bit vague. I was wondering what the definition of 'positive' was in terms of outcomes. But, given the context, you are correct - very premature to be discussing something which relates to a current patient.

The other interesting bit is "NRMA Chief calls for cycle safety review" - Cars and bikes shouldn't mix, roads should be closed for races, "the emphasis has been on car safety, but bicycles haven't changed over the last century" etc. etc. Usually (IMHO), they only get involved in public policy when it reduces they insurance liability... I'm wondering what they expect the review will recommend.

Edit: fixed a typo.
Last edited by MJF on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:32 pm

Reported on my club website, 2 broken legs, 1 broken arm and severe head injurys.

There was little traffic, she was unlucky it happened just as the 4WD was coming the other way.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:39 pm

MJF wrote:The other interesting bit is "NRMA Chief calls for cycle safety review" - Cars and bikes shouldn't mix, roads should be closed for races, "the emphasis has been on car safety, but bicycles haven't changed over the last century" etc. etc. ...
Cars & Bikes can mix fine in normal 50km/h zones. Having segregated facilities in these situations only increases the accident rate due to traffic conflicts at intersections (most common cycling accidents).

Bike lanes/paths are required for high speed, high traffic, and long distance roads - where there are less intersections.

What worries me about the NRMA in these cases is that they might be going for a "remove cyclists from roads" type campaign.

seddo

Postby seddo » Tue May 01, 2007 12:38 pm

gururug wrote:MJF I think confidentiality regulations prevents them elaborating much further.

The question should be, what was the cause and can we do anything to stop a re-occurrence.
correct and spot on Gururug

seddo

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 01, 2007 12:52 pm

gururug wrote:MJF I think confidentiality regulations prevents them elaborating much further.

The cause of the accident was wheel touch
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?