Polar cs200cad questions

Halfanewb

Polar cs200cad questions

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi all the polar arrived today in the post and ive set it up on the bike and all is going well, however i'm a bit stumped about this uplink stuff to the computer. No software came with the comp but i have downloaded the polar uplink 1.6 software.

The direction for use are sparse and i'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to stuff like this. So far all i can figure out is to start the uplink software and then hit the send function and hold the cs200 up against the mic and it does make sounds but nothing seems to happen , no ok or fail comes up and i have no idea if a file has been created or where it might be saved.

Do i need more software? any help would be muchly appreciated :)

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:10 pm

If it's the same as the other polar devices that upload via making noise (I have the F11) then it's a right royal pain to get right.

For me, I found making sure the microphone was turned to it's highest sensitivity (in control panel if you're using windows) and setting the uplink software to use the 'low volume' option, and holding the watch 1-2cm from the microphone makes it work. Could be that I've got a crap microphone.

I then hit 'listen' on the weblink software, and send on the watch and off it goes.

Having said all that, it could be completely different software with the cs200. Good luck! :)

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:24 pm

AH HA! i did need more software the key word being weblink!

The polar uplink software only seemed to download info to the bike comp like settings etc, though upto now i can only get it to squeek when its on the time tab, i guess its a bit more fiddling for now, and probably more questions later ehhehe thanks pugsly :)

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Ah ok, I played with the uplink software when I first got the watch - and uploaded a new logo to the watch I think. It was a bit easier to deal with, the watch picked up the magnetic pulses from the speakers rather than actually processing the sound.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:15 pm

well so far no luck with the weblink software. Ive got a good mic and its setup right, the mic recording lvl and the weblink software both show the mic sending a clear signal, ive given the software all the permissions in the firewall settings and it still comes up saying no response from the bike comp.

Back to being stumped! the help tab on the weblink software doesn't work either hmmm lord give me patience, now!

PS problem solved - found out that i had the mic settings to high once i had dialed it down everything worked perfectly :)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:43 pm

I found that a real pain too. Dunno why they have to make it so hard and with such rubbish instructions - it's the worst part of the unit.

I've downloaded from my desktop to the Polar but can't remember going the other way (so I probably haven't). To get it to work, I needed the speakers turned up very loud and the unit right in front of them - the stupid part was, there were no indications that this was the problem and I kept thinking I was doing something else wrong. But, once there was plenty of loud noise shrieking and squealing, it all worked.

This is by far the worst aspect of the unit and I don't bother now, just record everything manually in my spreadsheet - I'm signed up to Polar's fitness site too but have only mucked about with it and their programs.

The rest of the unit is a dream to use :D

Richard

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:01 pm

May be listening on a different soundcard / input device?

OK - I see now MIC input sensitivity too high.......Yeah that would do it.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:16 pm

europa wrote: This is by far the worst aspect of the unit and I don't bother now, just record everything manually in my spreadsheet - I'm signed up to Polar's fitness site too but have only mucked about with it and their programs.

The rest of the unit is a dream to use :D

Richard
I cant wait to use it tomorrow! First thing i learned was that i have a fairly high resting heart rate of 75bpm.

had a rest day today after sundays ride with the slow bunch. I turned up for the fast bunch ride but it looked like rain and no one else was there , little did i know they had changed the start time to 6.30 instead of 6am.

The slow bunch was pretty good we had two others in the bunch that decided to do the extra loop and put some effort into the ride so it all worked out well. Picked up a 4th and were heading back to sandgate when we were passed by the zupp's bunch man those guys are fast !!! they would have been 50k's into the ride and were still barreling along at +-35kph when they past us.

Anyhow im looking forward to using this beauty and targetting those heart rate zones, its going to be interesting to see how the daily ride stacks up and what i will have to change to stay in the fat burning zone :)

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:18 pm

Don't forget that your resting rate will be influenced by exercise done in the last day or two and the time of day taken.

Do it in the morning after two days of non-exercise (and stress)

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:40 pm

gururug wrote:Don't forget that your resting rate will be influenced by exercise done in the last day or two and the time of day taken.

Do it in the morning after two days of non-exercise (and stress)
hmm i don't think i could go two days without riding :oops: , stress is more managable now through a couple of techniques and realizing that most stress stems from anxiety.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:06 pm

You're supposed to take your resting hr first thing in the morning, before you sit up in bed. Yeah. Right. Probably okay for you blokes who can see and wear a watch. I don't wear a watch, need glasses to see anything at all and have to take off a sleep apnoea mask before doing anything :?

So my resting hr was determined by strapping on the device then lying down in my comfy chair for half an hour with the bike computer sitting on the coffee table next to me. It'll still be high but not as high as taking it just after answering a few questions in this place :wink:

Richard