Single speed track frame with coaster brake

Hally

Single speed track frame with coaster brake

Postby Hally » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:29 pm

here's my latest device:
ImageImage

unknown maker, but suspect local frame builder, Kevin McBain. Campy tips, only other mark is 'TT' under BB.

i didn't want to tamper with the frame or drill the fork, so opted for this coaster brake hub. shimano hub laced to aerohead with dt 14 gauge spokes.

No levers, no cables. I love it

no clearance!...i dont feel fully comfortable about this.

the frame had a proper track crankset, but a chainring to fit the 144bcd was a bit pricey, so went for the old cranks from my Univega: 110bcd, 170mm with a 42 tooth steel ring

anyway, i've been using it to ride the Intercity cycleway (Hobart - Glenorchy) in the morning...follows the railway from the docks to claremont..25k return. its quite a nice ride. i thought it might be a bit dodgy on the track frame, but its just a nice straightforward kind of thing. the 42/18 gearing seems about right, low enough to deal with moderate hills. the coaster brake has plenty of power to deal with this use.

i'll probably put the wheel into a more conservative frame and sell this to someone who will put it to proper use, but for now its a bit of fun and good to have rehabilitated and be using the frame.
Dave

'09 TCR Advanced/Viner CompLine/C'Dale Tandem/GaryFisher Marlin/Univega Conquest/Apollo Jaguar(SS)

obaka-san

Postby obaka-san » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:17 am

nice work, it's allways nice to see an old bike doing somthing other than rusting away.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think it's a McBain with all those colnago logos? and could you give me any info on kevin, my dad has a McBain roadie and I've seen a couple of bikes at the track and would like to know somthing about them (I'm a launcestonian so it's probably the same builder)

Hally

Postby Hally » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 pm

I don't actually know what it is, but:...i don't have much expertise with identifying bikes, but i have not seen any pictures of Colnago frames with lugs like these. also there is no serial number, just 'TT' stamped under the BB. So i figure its not a Colnago, just a bike someone spray painted and put Colnago decals on. there are quite a few about like that.

This one was given to me by a mate who loves his bikes...i thought he would know the story if it was a famous make, but he told me no story.
The main reason i think its a McBain is because at the Critical Mass ride in October I saw Daniel Furmston with a very similiar contraption to what i have built here (but his had a 2-speed automatic hub). He told me it was a McBain track frame. The lugs on Daniel's are exactly the same as mine, so i figure that is what i have. You can just about make out the lugs in this photo:
I had some work done on this at McBains in Hobart, and i mentioned several times i thought it was a McBain frame. no-one disagreed, but Kevin didn't actually see it.

I don't know a lot about Kevin's work. most of what i know is just kind of implied. I think he is based in Launceston, and had a shop there. His daughter runs the shop in Hobart. I think Kevin has retired and closed the Lonnie store.
i remember seeing a lot of McBain-branded bikes around when i was growing up on the NW coast in the '70s

yes, i'm interested to know more too. i've been told he was/is a top wheel-builder. i don't really even know whether he built frames or just sold them with his brand on them.

cheers
Dave

'09 TCR Advanced/Viner CompLine/C'Dale Tandem/GaryFisher Marlin/Univega Conquest/Apollo Jaguar(SS)

obaka-san

Postby obaka-san » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:54 am

Had a quick google and found some McBains on velospace with the same lugs (as far as I can tell) so it seems likely. Any idea if the original paint is still under there?

I also found a mention of the framebuilder in a canberra bike museum page on malvern star
In 1992, the name Malvern Star, re-entered the racing scene with one of the most expensive limited production bikes available. The bike, proudly displaying the Hubert Opperman signature along the top tube, is a bike that could re-establish the Company name at the top level of cycle sport. The frame is designed and manufactured in Tasmania by Frank McCallum, frame builder for Kevin McBain, in conjunction with McBain’s. It is made of Reynolds 708 Classic tubing, the frame having an overall racy look and feel to it. The price ticket is $4,300.
I don't remember the launceston shop, I've been here for ~13 years (mind you, thats most of my life :roll: so I could of forgotten it)

P.S what size frame? I just so happen to be on the look out for a track frame

Hally

Postby Hally » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:48 pm

thanks for that...i have no idea the age of this bike but seems a chance it was built by a pretty decent builder...

just ran a tape over the frame...looks like 56 seat tube, 57 top tube (c to c)

yeah, if thats your size...i guess its on the market...i am on a mission to clear out a bunch of stuff...
Dave

obaka-san

Postby obaka-san » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 pm

yeah, it's my size... and to think I was vaguely promising myself not to make any "major" purchases for a while :D

you have a PM

erick

Postby erick » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:00 pm

preety colnago frame, colnago are amasing

augo

Postby augo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Where did you source your rear hub?
I like the idea, awesome bike mate!

Hally

Postby Hally » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:01 am

cheers. its just a shimano bmx hub. bought it new from a LBS for $30. the rim was sitting in the shed doing less than 3/10 of 5/8...i like the wheel a lot.

the bike is great for rides without too much sustained down hill, just from a brake power POV...back brake is adequate on bike path and flattish roads...

bike is really nice to ride. dunno what grade steel, but nice light frame, and 26.8 seatpost. i've been using it on 'recovery' days (...recovering from the effort of getting out of bed mostly)..out to Granton and back from town...about 35 pretty flat k, bike path and riverside mainly.
Dave

greasefinger

Re: Single speed track frame with coaster brake

Postby greasefinger » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 am

Hey Stranger,

I encountered a frame identical the other day, set up with Campagnolo sheriff C Stars and the whole Nitto Sprinting stem and drops, everything, I'll cut short. It was selling for $500 AUD, I was short of cash and was beaten to it unfortunately but I've been clinging to the dream of hunting it down all over again, only for the frame. Just registered so I could ask if it's still on the market? Desperate, I know... need a new frame badly, this is ideal sizing'. I just hope it's being appreciated wherever it might be'.

Not so keen on the over all set up, but everyone has different taste and needs. Nevertheless, it's good to see someone who cares little about the fashion of riding, it's fine to coast if that's what you want, in the end, your knees will probably thank you. One thing for sure is that it's a beautiful frame.

Cheers' - T

Hally

Postby Hally » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:10 am

g'day, yes i still have the frame, also a track crankset and spindle. (the cranks are not a pair but quite well matched...RHS is a campag pista and left is sugino...)

i have ridden this frame alittle..it was good for what i needed at the time but have been planning to sell it this season...it is a v nice frame
Dave

boatonthehill

Postby boatonthehill » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:25 pm

old thread I know but I just stumbled upon

I now own this frame!

Have done it up with all track worthy components and have taken it to the Midland Speedome and the old beat up Collie Velodrome a few times it is great! Going to strip and powdercoat it one of these days

would still love to know what it actually IS!

I think it could be a Mc Bain too but most of the images Ive seen floating around have different lug work or something slightly different.
If anyone knows one way or another that would be great

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:57 am

Hally wrote:Image
no clearance!...i dont feel fully comfortable about this.
This is actually a good thing. Anything that might get stuck into your tyre will get knocked out by the closeness of the fork crown to the tread.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 pm

hartleymartin wrote:

This is actually a good thing. Anything that might get stuck into your tyre will get knocked out by the closeness of the fork crown to the tread.

Are you sure about that? Unless you have personal experience you might want to reconsider, as it's a fine way to scour the paint off your fork crown and practise doing endos. It's not a suicide mission by any means but all it takes is one stone chip in the correct orientation...