DIRTWORKS 100km classic

mountain tamer

DIRTWORKS 100km classic

Postby mountain tamer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:53 am

Hey all,

Is anyone doing Dirtworks in 09? Ive never been before and I think I might go .

what are your experiences? do you need a FS MTB?

cheers,

MT
Last edited by mountain tamer on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple:...
The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:22 pm

This year? It's done and dusted. Will no doubt do it again next year.

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:28 pm

woops i meant 09 :oops:

does anyone have any training tips?

MT

jimbob

Go for it!

Postby jimbob » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Yes, I can recommend the FS because if you're in the saddle for so long then your body does not get pounded so much. And there are plenty of rocks on the course to do just that.

I did the 100km distance this year and it was my first endurance race. I prepared by riding at least 100km of trails each week with at least one 50km ride and the occasional 70-80km ride. On the day, I found I was well prepared and enjoyed the whole ride. In fact, by the time I reached the 2nd big climb I still of plenty of strength to ride all the way up.

It was an absolutely fantastic ride and will definitely be up for it again!

mountain tamer

Re: Go for it!

Postby mountain tamer » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:06 pm

jimbob wrote:Yes, I can recommend the FS because if you're in the saddle for so long then your body does not get pounded so much. And there are plenty of rocks on the course to do just that.

I did the 100km distance this year and it was my first endurance race. I prepared by riding at least 100km of trails each week with at least one 50km ride and the occasional 70-80km ride. On the day, I found I was well prepared and enjoyed the whole ride. In fact, by the time I reached the 2nd big climb I still of plenty of strength to ride all the way up.

It was an absolutely fantastic ride and will definitely be up for it again!
thanks jimbob,

It sounds like a great event. what sort of numbers do they get in the open class? I am going to start training shortly so I will be able to keep up a reasonable pace for the duration. I don't think a FS is on the menu for a few years, so Ill just do it on the HT. Ill see how fit I am by that stage whether I do the 50 or 100.

I live only 15-20 min from the old great north rd so I might be able to get familiar with those parts of the course.

cheers,

MT

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:27 pm

yes, its a great event, i have done it for the last few years.
Ride whatever bike you have, but FS will be the easiest.
The course has a 15-20km section of technical riding so some decent bike skills will make this part more enjoyable. Go out there and ride from wisemans ferry to Claires bridge and return, the return part is in the race.
Training - ride heaps, make sure you can ride for 60-70km atleast offroad, if your ok with that distance the extra will be ok, pace yourself, dont go out too hard and you will make it.
Don

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:17 pm

sweet thanks don, I might try it out next weekend

when I think about it 100km is an awful lot. the most Off road I have ever done is 40km in a pretty steep area. I cant wait to start training!

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:27 pm

mountain tamer wrote:sweet thanks don, I might try it out next weekend

when I think about it 100km is an awful lot. the most Off road I have ever done is 40km in a pretty steep area. I cant wait to start training!
you should start training now, no time like the present, it takes a long time to build up endurance, start doing longer rides, learn how your body reacts to food/water after 5 or 6hrs of riding. Join up with these guys http://nobmob.com/ They ride every weekend and with various distances, so you wont have to ride by yourself.

mountain tamer

NOBMOB

Postby mountain tamer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:17 pm

yeah it sounds like a good idea, I just have to wait for HSC to finish ....3 days to go!.

It looks like an awesome club, It is a bit weird organizing rides with people you have never met before though! are you doing any practice runs?

leximack

Re: NOBMOB

Postby leximack » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:31 pm

mountain tamer wrote:yeah it sounds like a good idea, I just have to wait for HSC to finish ....3 days to go!.

It looks like an awesome club, It is a bit weird organizing rides with people you have never met before though! are you doing any practice runs?
i have done the dirtworks before so wont bother with going out there beforehand. I ride 99% on the road, only use the mountainbike in races, no social mountain biking for me due to time restraints.
For your first few rides with the nobmob crew just join a few of the rides someone else has posted, get to know the regulars and then post your own ride if you want to go somewhere specific.

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:21 am

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm all signed up looks easy :D only 2kms of climbing!!

Been affected by cancer? Know somebody who has been? Read about what I am doing about it http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=37465

leximack

double centurion

Postby leximack » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:18 am

i have changed my entry to the double centurion, BMC then Dirtworks
Going to be a busy month
Mont 24hr April 5th
BMC 100 April 19th
Dirtworks 100 May 3rd

Guess i better start riding some more and get some fitness into me :lol:

Don

bmc details - http://www.maxadventure.com.au/bmcclassic/default.htm
Mont details - http://www.mont24.com.au/
Dirtworks details - http://www.maxadventure.com.au/dirtwork ... efault.htm
Double centurion details - http://www.maxadventure.com.au/dirtwork ... urion.html

Looks like i get a nice double centurion jersey when i complete both events :D

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:28 am

Lucky man. I'm going to become a dad (again) during April and so no chance of going to the Mont and/or BMC.

However, my very understanding wife has allowed me to sign up to the Dirt Works. I just hope the little one doesn't decide to hang on in there and make me cancel. Or make a decision I come to regret.

Mind you, my dad got away with it. We had planned a bike holiday and my mum went into labour 6 weeks early on the day we were heading off. He quickly dropped her off at the hospital to get on with it and then came back and carried on with the bike ride. She gave birth on her own and didn't see us until several days later. Seems crazy when I think about it.

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:58 am

yes, very lucky
I have 2 kids already (2 and 4 yr old), we are making a bit of a holiday out of the bmc event, staying in melbourne for about 10 days with my wifes brother, so should be fun.

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Geez... you get luckier and luckier. I used that strategy for the highland fling and booked a place that could sleep 10. Wife, 2 kids, and 3 other couples came along for the fun. The cabin looked nice on the web - not so in real life. Breakfast in bed took on another meaning as one of the pullouts was in the kitchen. And I slept on a sofa mattress by the front door and outside the toilet which was a septic tank (urrghh).

Anyway, the laughter soon stopped and everyone vowed never to let me book another trip away. So I think the only way I'm ever going to get the family along to one of these events is if it involves 5 star accomodation and spa treatments for the missus. Hmmm...

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:48 pm

just got an email saying that the dirtworks is now 70% full.
Better enter quickly if you want to go

Don

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 am

100km race is now sold out!
Been affected by cancer? Know somebody who has been? Read about what I am doing about it http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=37465

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:50 pm

100km, 50km and double centurion are all SOLD OUT.
Amazingly this is over 5 months to the actual event, think these events are getting a tad popular.

So did you get your entry in mountain tamer?

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Won't be doing the one in Sydney, but have entered the BMC at Woodend again after doing it last year.

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:01 pm

na i missed out! :evil:

didn't get a chance to put in my entry!, ill haver to get in real early next year

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:43 pm

mountain tamer wrote:na i missed out! :evil:

didn't get a chance to put in my entry!, ill haver to get in real early next year
keep a look out on farkin.net and nobmob.com closer to the the event date. there will be lots of people who have entered who wont be able to make it due to injury/work commitments etc
So keep training

Don

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:40 am

I've registered for the 100. Did the 50 last year after a few beers the night before and was not prepared, boy did I struggle. This year I will be ready ..................... I hope.

I have a mate of mine who has missed out so if anyone knows of any drop outs (or scaredy cats) then pls pm. Thanks
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]