Energy gels

tuco

Energy gels

Postby tuco » Wed May 02, 2007 9:54 am

Does anyone here use GU energy gel or any energy gel for that matter?

We've got a few riders up here in our races (my grade) who use it and bugger me if it's not the ones who are just beating me. I've seen them have it while walking up to the start line and even on the start line.

I'm not saying it's giving them the edge but I'm sure it helps - a little anyway.
Even if it takes 30 minutes to kick in, that'd work perfectly because most of our races are about 40 minutes.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 02, 2007 10:02 am

Gulp down a can of Red Bull at the starting line and see their reaction. :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed May 02, 2007 10:07 am

sogood wrote:Gulp down a can of Red Bull at the starting line and see their reaction. :D
I've seen one of them do that too!!!

No wait, it was 'V' I think, in a green can.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 02, 2007 10:18 am

The other cheap option I've read is to take some flat Coke. The "sugar" in Coke is in a form that is readily absorbed and used by the body. You just have to get rid of the gas.

Anyway, I can't be bothered with those astronaut food packs for the grade and condition I'm in. There's just no justification for the extra cost and environmental wastage.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 am

I know a bunch of people from my group use them every now and then, mostly "Hammer Gel" packs.

I understand they give you a bit of a boost.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 am

sogood wrote:Gulp down a can of Red Bull at the starting line and see their reaction. :D
This is exactly what another rider I know does, its sugar and caffeen.

Don't do it for normal training, the sugar hit will negate the fat loss you would of got from the training.

Your new hill training strategy will probably give you the edge over those other riders eventually.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 02, 2007 10:51 am

The coke you see them drinking on major bike races - you see them opening the can so the stuff isn't flat (unless specially packaged) - how do they handle the gas?

Richard

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 am

sogood wrote:The other cheap option I've read is to take some flat Coke. The "sugar" in Coke is in a form that is readily absorbed and used by the body. You just have to get rid of the gas.

Anyway, I can't be bothered with those astronaut food packs for the grade and condition I'm in. There's just no justification for the extra cost and environmental wastage.
I accidentally did that before a race. We had to wait 1h 30m before our race so I had a can of coke during the wait. Normally I don't drink the crap but I thought the sugar would be handy. Towards the end of the race I suffered with pain in the stomach.

I have to go to the lbs next week so I might pick one up a GU and give it a try in the next race.

Mikesbytes, you are right there. These other riders are at an idea weight, I can still lose another 10kgs and then I'd be at the weight I was in my mid twenties at my fittest. 10kgs less will make a big difference to times and stamina. Even 5kg would be noticeable. I dying to ride the time trial I rode earlier in the year when I wasn't as fit and 4-5kg heavier just to compare the times. It's the only race we haven't repeated this year.

I must still be building muscle though, the last few weeks I've stayed 85kgs but my waist measurement has dropped 1cm to 99cm (from 108cm). I've finally broken the 100 barrier, woohoo!

I'm heading in the right direction. I started at 91-92kg and a waist of 108cm back in September last year.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed May 02, 2007 10:56 am

how do they handle the gas?
burping?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 am

tuco wrote:I accidentally did that before a race. We had to wait 1h 30m before our race so I had a can of coke during the wait. Normally I don't drink the crap but I thought the sugar would be handy. Towards the end of the race I suffered with pain in the stomach.
That's why they get rid of the gas before drinking the stuff. Shake, stir, do whatever you need to get rid of those gas.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 am

europa wrote:The coke you see them drinking on major bike races - you see them opening the can so the stuff isn't flat (unless specially packaged) - how do they handle the gas?
Special runs. It contains helium gas rather than the usual CO2. They consume that at the start of a climb and burp them out once they crest! :wink:

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed May 02, 2007 11:11 am

sogood wrote:
tuco wrote:I accidentally did that before a race. We had to wait 1h 30m before our race so I had a can of coke during the wait. Normally I don't drink the crap but I thought the sugar would be handy. Towards the end of the race I suffered with pain in the stomach.
That's why they get rid of the gas before drinking the stuff. Shake, stir, do whatever you need to get rid of those gas.
It was flat. I knew about that trick. This was the pain I've heard people call a coke pain from when they are in need of food but they have a can of coke instead and they get a burning type sensation.

Anyway, I won't be doing it again.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 02, 2007 11:19 am

No doubt that in the end, the scale weight will not be a good indicator of fitness, because as you said, you are building muscle.

I'm 80kg, so a tad lighter than you, but I have an 83cm waist, so the weight is distributed quite differently. Want a 81cm waist, greedy aren't I.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 am

mikesbytes wrote:I'm 80kg, so a tad lighter than you, but I have an 83cm waist, so the weight is distributed quite differently. Want a 81cm waist, greedy aren't I.
No, greed is when you want more of something and you want less of it. Wanting more of less is getting a tad Pythonesque don't you think? :D

Richard

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Wed May 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Do you wear your hrm when you race Tuco? if so how many calories does it say you used during the race? :)

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed May 02, 2007 1:17 pm

Imanewbie wrote:Do you wear your hrm when you race Tuco? if so how many calories does it say you used during the race? :)
Sure do.

Road race, 22km on an undulating out and back course, average speed 32.5 km/h, 661 cal

Criterium, 12.5km flat with 8 corners, average 31.5 km/h, 515 cal.

The shorter crit used more calories per kilometre because of the corners and the energy needed to get back up to race speed.

The road race I was 4th but we all crossed the line within a couple of seconds of each other and the crit I was 2nd but 38 seconds behind the winner.

I've used the HR monitor in other races but I've started it too late or forgotten to stop it so the results aren't accurate.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Recently based on another similar thread from Tuco, I tried some of those "Up & Go" drinks for a "breakfast" along with a banana before the big ride we do as a small group with mates.

Personally I was faster, but that is because my wallet was lighter.

At the moment, I can't justify the cost (they are hugely expensive), but have tried Staminade and Powerade for cramping (have had some trouble in the past) only as it was on special.

I am now down to 95.8kg (from 109kg) and now looking at buying my first pair of 36" waist pants for about 15 years (down from 38 to 40"), so whilst the weight is slow in coming off, the shape is also changing :D

Cheers

Michael B

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 02, 2007 2:55 pm

Tuco, MichaelB,

You guys have done really well in the weight loss department. It doesn't go away without some dedication and hard work and now you are reaping the rewards.

Burn plenty of Glycogen

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 02, 2007 3:34 pm

I've lost another kg... :shock:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 02, 2007 3:54 pm

sogood wrote:I've lost another kg... :shock:
And you didn't even do RNP with me last Sunday. Well done.

Burn plenty of Glycogen

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 02, 2007 4:14 pm

mikesbytes wrote:And you didn't even do RNP with me last Sunday. Well done.
I am not sure it's a good thing though. BMI is getting to the lower end.

And I still won't be able to come on the Sun ride this week. :cry:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 02, 2007 8:53 pm

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:And you didn't even do RNP with me last Sunday. Well done.
I am not sure it's a good thing though. BMI is getting to the lower end.

And I still won't be able to come on the Sun ride this week. :cry:
With your considerable weight advantage over me, you'll be giving me a run for my money soon.

Burn plenty of Glycogen

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 02, 2007 8:58 pm

mikesbytes wrote:With your considerable weight advantage over me, you'll be giving me a run for my money soon.
Not sure about that. If I can come even near your climb speed and stamina, I'd be very content.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:50 pm

I use Natralife's "Energy Squeeze" Gel (About $7 for a pack of 12x50g)

They work a treat and I swear by it. I couldn't believe how much more stamina and energy I had during my races. I'll almost always gulp a tube down 10 minutes before a race and sometimes after my bike leg during my triathlons. Once the gel kicks in, you feel as though you can go full speed for hours :twisted:

I only caution over use of these gels as it does cause dierieha (spelling) and is overloaded with carbohydrates (25.6g per 50g serve). The rest are sugars (4.2g) and Sodium (13mg)....so make sure you burn it all off and not just drink as a snack over coffee...

As for drinking red bull or v etc, I've hear that the caffein will dehydrate you and make you underperform. :?