Next year's bikes

purplegolden

Next year's bikes

Postby purplegolden » Thu May 03, 2007 9:37 am

Does anyone know when next year's bike models come in?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Re: Next year's bikes

Postby europa » Thu May 03, 2007 9:44 am

purplegolden wrote:Does anyone know when next year's bike models come in?
Usually a week after you've paid full price for this year's model :D

Richard

Halfanewb

Re: Next year's bikes

Postby Halfanewb » Thu May 03, 2007 11:02 am

europa wrote: Usually a week after you've paid full price for this year's model :D

Richard
:lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 03, 2007 11:10 am

Probably about August in time for the Northen Hemisphere summer.

Why are you intrested ?

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu May 03, 2007 11:11 am

I think Giant has theirs about June here, but it depends on the brand.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Thu May 03, 2007 11:34 am

I was chatting to a giant dealer in brisbane a few weeks ago, and i asked him when the sales were due to start , he said no sales this year because dealers are lucky if they can get enough stock to meet demand. Time will tell i guess :)

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Thu May 03, 2007 12:02 pm

[quote]
Why are you intrested ? [/quote]

Looking to get a new bike - but don't really like the colour of the 07 model. So was going to try and hold out till the new ones came in. It is an Avanti that I have my eye on.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Imanewbie wrote:I was chatting to a giant dealer in brisbane a few weeks ago, and i asked him when the sales were due to start , he said no sales this year because dealers are lucky if they can get enough stock to meet demand. Time will tell i guess :)
What did you expect him to say at this time point? There'll always be sales. The key will be what sizes will be left for the sale.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Thu May 03, 2007 4:58 pm

sogood wrote: What did you expect him to say at this time point?
Given the fact that i don't have the power of prophecy , and that i don't rehearse conversations in advance with imaginary bike salesmen, i had no advance expectations of what he might have said :shock:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 03, 2007 5:49 pm

Imanewbie wrote:Given the fact that i don't have the power of prophecy , and that i don't rehearse conversations in advance with imaginary bike salesmen, i had no advance expectations of what he might have said :shock:
Well, given that sale's objective is to get your cash now rather than some months later when i) You may have moved to another LBS. ii) He/She may have moved to another LBS and your business is none of his concern. So it's natural to expect them to play down on future sales and promotions. Simple!

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu May 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Possible:

Should be a sale month after next.
(Translation: Please don't buy anything now, I'd rather have less money in the future than more money now. Here, take cash from my till, please! PS. I've gone insane and am going to camp on your lawn next week.)

No sales likely this year.
(Translation: Buy something now if you're going to, otherwise, why are you here?)

Everything is already as cheap as it can be.
(Translation: I think you're an idiot. You might think I'm an idiot, selling things I'm not making money on. Please give me your money for these knick knacks.)

Think I'm a bit cynical? ;)

Me, I don't ask the question. I understand I'm paying somewhat more than the wholesale, and that I can get stuff cheaper if I want to look around or wait for sales, but I'll buy what I want whenever I'm happy with the price. The LBS knows that me asking questions often leads to a sale, and they're more than helpful. I go there for the service, not the prices.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Thu May 03, 2007 7:07 pm

sogood wrote: Well, given that sale's objective is to get your cash now rather than some months later when i) You may have moved to another LBS. ii) He/She may have moved to another LBS and your business is none of his concern. So it's natural to expect them to play down on future sales and promotions. Simple!
Im a bit puzzled sogood, first your defending the bike salesman and now hes saddam hussien's red haired nephew. It was just a snippet of bike store bs and i really am at a loss as to why your banging the drum about it. :roll:

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu May 03, 2007 7:25 pm

cfjkc
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 03, 2007 8:11 pm

Imanewbie wrote:Im a bit puzzled sogood, first your defending the bike salesman and now hes saddam hussien's red haired nephew. It was just a snippet of bike store bs and i really am at a loss as to why your banging the drum about it. :roll:
Did I defend the salesman? :shock:

My whole point was that the story is totally expected. It's just another lot of sales spin that can't be trusted. If there's been sales for the last 20 years, then the chance of another sale is a pretty sure bet.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Does
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 03, 2007 8:31 pm

Huh? What's it got to do with Sat? Now I am really confused... :shock:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu May 03, 2007 10:55 pm

MountGower wrote:Who gives a stuff about next years paper masche, thermo plastic crap. Let's get real.
I agree. I just did 350 kms with someone who pulled an 80s bike from the roadside garbage collection heap, oiled the chain, put some air in the tyres and rode it on tour.

Did the job perfectly. The frame for my next bike is sitting here now. It came from a roadside rubbish collection. It's made of steel, and according to the LBS I will never get parts for it. Rather strange as I have them now.

Don't think I'll be able to make it on Saturday though. :D

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri May 04, 2007 12:28 pm

tourer?
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Fri May 04, 2007 1:17 pm

I am tempted by your offer Mountgower its just that i do a twice weekly ride with my mate and his sons and saterday is one of the days we go.

However having said that, they have been a bit slack lately so if anything changes ill be happy to tag along as i'm looking to do longer rides over the next month to get that weight loss moving along.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri May 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Not a
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri May 04, 2007 2:44 pm

MountGower wrote:Not a worry. My offer of the wheel is fair dinkum as I would like to have someone else there for improved visability if nothing else and would get some gain from the increase in area anyway. It could be a good way to jump up to the tripple figures for you rather than in front copping the lot.

Also would be happy if everyone came as the roads are smooth all the way and would be enjoyable. Also let me know if you have anything planned for Moanday between 50 and 100.

Cheers.
What the flamin' heck are you two talking about?

Richard

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri May 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Next y
Last edited by MountGower on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm

I think this years avanti's started flowing in around early decemberish

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 04, 2007 9:57 pm

What I've noticed with Giants is that they tend to bring out next years bikes at the price of the lower model from this year. For example this years OCR3 cost = next years OCR2. BUT they change some of the components to cheaper ones. So its still better value, but not as much as the price drop would imply.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

senator52

Postby senator52 » Mon May 28, 2007 1:52 am

Yeah this year Giant have down specced the groupsets on each of their OCR range. OCR 1 which used to have 105 is running Tiagra, the OCR 2 had Tiagra but now Sora (which looks like it has STI shifters...) and the OCR is using 2200.