January 2009

moosterbounce

January 2009

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Warm ain't it? :wink:

Sorry...no-one was talking on this forum!!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:36 pm

busy languishing in a pool of sweat :(
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:38 pm

Nah lovely - south of the river, anyway! ;)

We went down to Point Walter with the Kayak this arvo and played in the river. What a great day to be sitting by the river.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Mr Moo's been at work so I've been doing some chores :( The dogs haven't even helped me so it must have been hot.

Kayak is a good idea Graeme - if I can get off my bike, I'll get them out of the garage me thinks. Thanks for a great idea :)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 pm

Just stay off the beaches for a few more days, me thinks ....

(Link to another forum where some kayakers tell us about their run in with a Great White off Sydney. Made the news around the world.)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Bruce

post subject

Postby Bruce » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:28 pm

from leederville to greenwood, a shot ride to leederville train station then airconditioned train ride to greenwood then short ride to destination have cold beer 8)

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Just stay off the beaches for a few more days, me thinks ....

(Link to another forum where some kayakers tell us about their run in with a Great White off Sydney. Made the news around the world.)

Cheers,
Graeme
Dont wory about trhe sharks mate there are plenty of other people out there

sarmy

i had a nice ride today....

Postby sarmy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:48 pm

in the heat, 90klm, people watching over coffee in freo, absolutely stuffed. the biggest ride i have done in many months. making the 100 sounded llike a good idea but once near home i wasnt going past it! its the 1st long ride i have managed to get in over the xmas break and i didnt even puncture after the glass smashing festivities.

DrJ

Postby DrJ » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 am

Has been great to actually have a heatwave during my Christmas/NY break - have been down at Mullaloo on most days.
Also went for a scuba dive in the shark tank at Hillarys which was fantastic!
Most of the planned jobs around the house have had to be put off though(that sure sucks :wink: ) , haven't even started to take the Christmas lights down yet!
No rides for 2009 yet, but should open the batting tonight.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:05 am

G'day

Back home now, but on Friday was still in Kalbarri. Enjoyed a nice ~ 85 km ride out to Hawks Head in the Kalbarri National Park and then a fast (until the last 5 km) return ride with the wind.

About 5 km out from the house, the wind picked up/changed direction and my 60 km/h down hill run into Kalbarri became a 40 km/h gee this is hard going downhill ride instead. Got worse from there ...

Riding in the afternoon there was pretty much out. Winds up to 50 km/h easy most afternoons along the coast. Apparently a couple of locals do a 50 km round trip into it most afternoons but I didn't try and join them ... 8)

Andrew

okitoki

Postby okitoki » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:14 am

Sunday was a good day to ride along the river... bit hot though... but was cool to watch ppl wind surfing around Applecross area... looks like fun :)

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am

Went out this morning for the first time this year (it's been a slow start)

was lovely :D

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 am

Back home now, but on Friday was still in Kalbarri. Enjoyed a nice ~ 85 km ride out to Hawks Head in the Kalbarri National Park and then a fast (until the last 5 km) return ride with the wind.

I missed you in Kalbarri Andrew, I was there until the 1st Jan.

I was on the MTB every morning and used to head up to the top of the Eco-Flora estate and then the top of Red Bluff (no bikes allowed but what the hell, there was nobody around!). I did an 18km trip everyday so nothing too serious. Although heading up to the top of Eco-Flora on a heavy MTB and a 50km headwind is no mean feat! :wink:

Hope you managed to refuel at Finlay's Fish BBQ at least once on your trip!

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:15 pm

gdl_gdl wrote: Hope you managed to refuel at Finlay's Fish BBQ at least once on your trip!
They, and the parrot place, are the only reason I ever go to Kalbarri - too many people and kids for my liking, but Findlays.....yummmmmmmmy!!

Now if only Findlay's would move to Cape Leveque...nah, then that would be busy too!!

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:38 pm

and the parrot place

We went there as well, although not to see the parrots, we went to the outdoor cinema and watched Space Chimps! :wink:

I did have the kids with me, honest! :lol:

Cheers,

Gary

IH8TOADS

Postby IH8TOADS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Had my bianchi carbon mountain bike stolen yesterday so no more hot weather riding for me!! Must be an organised theft ring in the Perth city.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:16 pm

IH8TOADS wrote:Had my bianchi carbon mountain bike stolen yesterday so no more hot weather riding for me!! Must be an organised theft ring in the Perth city.
That sucks mate. I've heard of a few high end MTBs going lately in the Perth area. Are you on the Perth MTB club forum? I wonder if they are targeting them through that site ...

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

IH8TOADS

Postby IH8TOADS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:58 pm

I'm not on any forums (just joined this!) but there does seem to be a lot of bikes being stolen lately now that I have done a ring a round. Mine is one of only two in Australia so it will stick out like dog balls and I will be searching for it for the rest of my life!

Earthy Ochre Man

Postby Earthy Ochre Man » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Awesome day for a ride today!

Headed out from mine in Dianella, across to Fremantle (via Claremont) and then back around the river through the city... about 70km's all up.

Next to no head wind most of the way. 8)

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Awesome day for a ride today!

Have to agree with you there! Managed my 'usual' 40km return trip to Hillary's with a PB average of 30.1km/h. (This includes all slow downs for lights, traffic etc..) Hardly any wind which was great!

(The twice weekly commute is adding 160km to my weekly average and I've been eating the right foods and my legs are feeling good at the moment.)

Finished with a total ride of 44.6km to allow for cooling down (and to add a few extra km's to my bikejournal log! :lol: )

Cheers,

Gary

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:10 pm

The great day has just been ruined by, I assume, fire bugs! The house stinks of smoke thanks to a nearby bush fire..now contained thankfully!

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 61,00.html

The kids like the drama of helicopters flying overhead though! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:07 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:I missed you in Kalbarri Andrew, I was there until the 1st Jan.
Bummer. Could have gone for a ride with you. Did you ride Jan 1? I saw a rider heading out to Red Bluff in the morning. I tried to catch them but they had vanished before I had a chance.

That morning I rode out past Wagoe.
Hope you managed to refuel at Finlay's Fish BBQ at least once on your trip!
Sure did ... Number 8, get off your date, I think was the line :)

Andrew

toofat

Postby toofat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Went out yesterday with the very friendly Audax group,from Deep Water Point Mt Pleasant down the freeway to Ankatell then across to Byford then a 14m hill (with a few level bits) up to Jarrahdale. this is a really pretty route if you are not suffering too much to appreciate it.

Coffee/ breakfast at the general store, the 200km group headed on up to Dwellingup and the 100km group had an exhilarating decent down jarradale road, a long flat down Mudijong road back to the Freeway, about 20 km from the end I got separated when I had to stop in a tunnel to cool off, the temp on the computer was showing 42.9 degrees.

A bit further up the track one of the group had waited for me to make .sure I hadn't run into trouble and we finally got the benefit of the sea breeze for the final leg back to Deep Water Point and a lage iced coffee at the cafe

one thing I like about Audax rides is that you have a route sheet with a map and turn directions marked in km so if you cant keep up or want to go faster you can still participate.

Unlike a group ride where you can get dropped and if you arent famiilar with the route its over, these rides go to a different place each time.
I am seeing a lot more of the countryside and finding it a pleasant change from going flat out on the same old route around the river.
Any yet another cycling option
happy new year

IH8TOADS

Postby IH8TOADS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Damn I miss riding to work already!! Good news is that my stolen bike was spotted on Sunday and a decent photo of him was taken! Pity the police wouldn't do anything.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:46 pm

toofat wrote:Went out yesterday with the very friendly Audax group,from Deep Water Point Mt Pleasant down the freeway to Ankatell then across to Byford then a 14m hill (with a few level bits) up to Jarrahdale. this is a really pretty route if you are not suffering too much to appreciate it.
Sounds good. Do you do the 50 km ride or the 100 km one?

I hope to get on my first Audax ride in March. First date that I can fit in :(

Andrew