Big weekend of riding

tuco

Big weekend of riding

Postby tuco » Sat May 05, 2007 12:47 pm

Mayday long weekend up here in backwards land so it's a big weekend of riding.

We did a 48km ride today training some new riders in the art of group riding.
Because of the new riders we kept the pace down so they could be shown the dos and don'ts. You could feel the frustration building in us more experienced riders (woohoo, I'm now an experienced rider!) who wanted to go faster. We were like Ferraris with a wheel lock on (in our minds anyway).

They were a few little bursts of speed and 'breakaways' and we sped up to catch them then waited for the 'newbies' to catch up. Even a small rise was enough to set off a 'mine's bigger than yours' challenge.
One guy timed his breakaway badly (not all that experienced) and we sat back and laughed at him. He took off with red lights 100m ahead of us and we went normal speed and caught him at the red lights and laughed.

Eventually all the new apprentices headed home leaving us sports cars.
It was sprint after sprint hitting the high 40s then easing off. I was feeling good because I would deliberating let them get ahead then I'd catch them and I still had plenty left to go faster if needed.
Must have looked odd to motorist seeing all these middle aged over weight guys acting like teenagers.

Well that was today. Tomorrow it's a 40km training ride with the Townsville to Cairns charity riders and then Monday is an 80km ride.
I've already done over 150kms this week so if I don't lose a bit of weight this week then there's something wrong. :shock:

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat May 05, 2007 1:39 pm

Cats and mouse being played by a bunch of men in middle life crisis. :D

Good on you Tuco and enjoy! A bunch of meetings and appointments this weekend is screwing up my usual rides. Managed to squeeze in 60km this morning and will probably just have time for 40-50km tomorrow. Back to normal schedules next week. 8)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Thats the beauty of hills, everyone can work at that their pace and you can regroup at the top.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

tuco

Postby tuco » Sun May 06, 2007 7:04 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Thats the beauty of hills, everyone can work at that their pace and you can regroup at the top.
No hills in that, it was all flat, we didn't want to scare off the newbies before they got started.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 06, 2007 7:40 pm

tuco wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Thats the beauty of hills, everyone can work at that their pace and you can regroup at the top.
No hills in that, it was all flat, we didn't want to scare off the newbies before they got started.
Isn't your Avator enough to scare them off?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?