Can you stay balanced on your bike when stationary?

gdl_gdl

Can you stay balanced on your bike when stationary?

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat May 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Just got back from my 100km ride. (Best time today 26.4km average which beat my previous best of 25.9km! :lol: )

Anyway, when I hit a set of road works in Perth CBD there was a rider in front of me who was balancing stood up on his bike when the bike was stationary. Bloody amazing! He was doing a slight jig to keep his balance but he looked fully in control!

Anybody else here skilled enough to do this? I saw this performed on cycling central a couple of months bike by the 'pros' but I've never seen it done before by a local rider.

Cheers,

Gary

chain_reaction

Postby chain_reaction » Sat May 05, 2007 3:06 pm

i was in my car in traffic and saw a roadie doing the same thing, me and the mrs watched him move back and forth and braking trying to keep his balance all the while we were we were maikng noises like we were wtaching aome dangerous circus act, amazing what can entertain u in a grid lock

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat May 05, 2007 4:53 pm

Someone has to say it, so it'd might as well by my reputation that takes the hit.

I can ... until someone takes the wall away :D

Track standing, which is what it's usually called, is easier on a fixie (because you can back pedal) but if you want to learn it, do so on a slight slope as gravity then provides some backwards movement and a bit extra to pedal against. It's supposed to be a useful skill but never having mastered it, I can't comment on that. If nothing else, the pose value is really good.

I was at the Adelaide Superdrome soon after it was built (roughly 15 years ago). By that time, they'd either banned track standing during sprint events or were about to. I watched Jens Voigt and ... dammit, can't remember his name, the top Aussie sprinter at the time ... sprinting. The no-track stand rule was suspended for this event (it wasn't official, might even have been one of the opening events for the stadium). These two heros did a 20 minute track stand until the one behind broke, moved in front of the other and they started all over again. It wasn't an official race but they were taking it pretty seriously (and having a lot of fun too). Awesome stuff.

Richard

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sat May 05, 2007 5:50 pm

I can't do it, but have read instructions on the Internet of how it's done. You just need to have enough left/right motion made by turning the front wheel against a slope to allow you to maintain balance.

However, it's more difficult than riding in motion as there is no trail to keep you balanced naturally. You can't do it no-hands. ;)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 05, 2007 9:35 pm

I can do it on my road bike, but I'm usually too lazy to do it, its easier just to put a foot down.

Its easier to do on a fixie, so europa has no excuses.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 05, 2007 9:42 pm

"...hopethoselightschangesoonhopethoselightschangesoon
hopethoselightschangesoonhopethoselightschangesoon....bugger", unclip, foot down.

So cool to watch, so beyond my abilities. :oops:

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:15 am

I can't really do this, but I've found a trick that might make you appear that you're standing stationary.

Very rapidly release and reapply the brakes whilst putting a bit of power down (like a trigger action) This should give you enough movement to stay upright and you can stand for maybe 2-3 seconds between each brake release. With some practice you might only move a couple of inches forward...works well at traffic lights 8)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 08, 2007 6:12 am

Some of you guys know more about the nuts and bolts in biking... but I can do a track stand.... And not only that, I am trying to perfect the seated track stand, staying stationary at the lights while comfortably seated and no feet on the ground.

It's just a matter of playing the pedals and front brakes, a small bit of tension helps. Here are some tricks:

- hills/inclines work the best
- you can turn the wheel inward towards the curb and rest it on the curb... infact even a tiny stone can offer enough resistance to assist a track stand.
- when there is a decline/downhill you can shuffle your weight back and forth and create movement.

If you think a track stand looks good, even better (more suitable on a MTB but possible on a racer) is to come to a roaring stop at the lights with the weight on the front and hard on the front brakes, bring the back wheel up and balance on the front for as long as possible, then pull back onto the back wheel and bunny hop until the lights change again.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:40 am

AUbicycles wrote:If you think a track stand looks good, even better (more suitable on a MTB but possible on a racer) is to come to a roaring stop at the lights with the weight on the front and hard on the front brakes, bring the back wheel up and balance on the front for as long as possible, then pull back onto the back wheel and bunny hop until the lights change again.
Heh, you mean pull a stoppie? I almost did something like that once... my variation was instead of balancing on the front wheel, I brought the back wheel up ALL THE WAY over the front - "OH CRAP!" - and then went over in a flailing heap... beat that! :oops:

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Tue May 08, 2007 7:56 am

Yesterday we were taking a lunch break on the river walk path at Southbank when we spotted these young guys on those small trick bikes. At the edge of the path there are a series of alternating steps and then large stonework (tree) plant boxes about 1m high.

This guy slowly cycled his bike parallel to one, balanced perfectly for a while to let walkers pass then hopped his bike to his right, onto the top of the stonework and was still perfectly balanced the moment his wheels landed, then popped a mono held it for more walkers then hopped down to land on the back wheel, still holding the mono did a few bunny hops to get back into parallel then up again onto the stonework in a mono. amazing stuff :)

tuco

Postby tuco » Tue May 08, 2007 8:58 am

If you're riding with a few riders then all you have to do is slow down and wait for the first person to unclip then the lights WILL change green.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 pm

I can do it. I can balance for hours without moving and not falling over. All it takes is lots and lots of practice. I have it down to a fine art and can do it everytime I get on my exercise bike. :D

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue May 08, 2007 11:18 pm

heavymetal wrote:I have it down to a fine art and can do it everytime I get on my exercise bike. :D
That's the one with the big, padded seat, the padded arm rests, the foot rest that pops up when you pull the lever and the beer holders in the arms isn't it? :roll:

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue May 08, 2007 11:25 pm

europa wrote:That's the one with the big, padded seat, the padded arm rests, the foot rest that pops up when you pull the lever and the beer holders in the arms isn't it?
Yep :shock: It also has 4 computer monitors and several keyboards. :lol: The good thing with this set up is that no matter how much beer you drink, you can never fall off.

Kev.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 09, 2007 5:02 am

Imanewbie wrote:Yesterday we were taking a lunch break on the river walk path at Southbank when we spotted these young guys on those small trick bikes.
Trials bikes... come in micro size (eg bmx size) or 26" mtb size .. one thing in common is that they usually have no seat or a seat that is big enough for a two year old. One of the pioneers is Hans "No Way" Rey, he has been around since the 80's and has some amazing videos, here is his website ... well hansrey.com.

Trials riding is great for MTBing because there are a lot of tricks and technique to help you quickly and more efficiently overcome obstacles.