Commute to Applecross from Joondalup - bike thoughts?

20thCB

Commute to Applecross from Joondalup - bike thoughts?

Postby 20thCB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:01 pm

I've started doing this a couple of times a week (38km each way) down the freeway PSP from Joondalup starting at Shenton Ave. Apart from being a bit boring in places I quite enjoy it, but it takes me about 1hr 40 at around 24km/hr. I ride a Giant OCR3, which has basic components and cheap wheels. Anyway, I bust 2 spokes at Stirling and I'm wondering if I need a hardier beast because the PSP can be a bit rough in places. The LBS have tried to sell me a pair of $500 Easton EA50 wheels. Not sure I want to use them on a $999 bike! But, the frame on the OCR3 is ok, with carbon forks. A new bike of the type I want (alloy with Tiagra/105 groupset) would cost around $1800.

What would you do? New bike? Or just new wheels? Or just fix the spokes and hope it doesn't happen again?

BTW I never see any other cyclists on the way in till at least Greenwood, so am I the only one in Perth mad enough to do this?!

wintal

Postby wintal » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:24 pm

If you're primarily commuting over crappy paths, what you want is strong wheels, more so than fast or light wheels. Most of the mass produced wheels aim at lightness. Strength pretty much translates to 'high spoke count', so I wouldn't recommend those Eastons anyhow as they're only 20/24. I'd go with (in fact I _did_ go with) some hand built wheels, because you can get the spoke count up. I went with Mavic Open Pro rims, Centaur hubs, and 32 spokes front and rear from Ribble cycles in the UK (you'd probably want to go a Shimano hub since the rest of the bike is Shimano). If you want to get them locally, most good bike stores will be able to build them up for you, but it'll cost more - the mechanic at Cyclemania has offered to do it for me before but it was going to cost double the UK pricing - he did sound like he would give good warranty though - if you break a spoke, he fixes it gratis because he obviously miscalculated the wheel in the first case.

You didn't mention much about yourself - obviously, the heavier you are the stronger your wheels need to be. I've never had trouble with my spokes breaking and I'm about 100kg in commuting trim. If you're a lighter rider, lots of stock wheels _should_ be fine. Spokes breaking on the current wheel could just be 'bad luck'.

Incidentally, you don't work at Acquire do you?

[/url]

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:40 pm

I weigh 76kg. I tend to go quite fast over the bumpy bits as they are downhill, so maybe I should slow down to prevent jarring. The bike shop said the Easton wheels are just as strong as wheels with more spokes because the rim itself is stronger. Also the spokes themselves are higher quality. Not sure who to believe! The wheels on my bike are really cheap but $500 seems a lot. What would say $200 get me?

I work at Monadelphous off Canning Highway.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:14 pm

What would say $200 get me?
A kiss and a cuddle. :D

$500 is pretty cheap for a decent set of wheels, actually. The rims alone on a decent set would be around $200 a pair (eg Velocity Deep-V).

I would have trouble believing the LBS, who have a vested interest here. The strength of wheels is mainly in the spokes (correct tensioning during construction, especially), though there is a contribution from the rims themselves.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
What would say $200 get me?
A kiss and a cuddle. :D
Hehe thought so. Bloody expensive this bike lark.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:57 pm

You're not wrong! :)
---------------------

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Hey - I rode this today :) Only saw 2 bikes in the whole journey...I thought I was mad...and I am as I'm just about to head home again :)

Anyway, I ride Scotty (basically a fine looking steed - carbon race bike). I weigh 83kg. I took it easy on the way into the city today (IBM building) and it took me 1h15m for the 30km so I'm guessing I usually go faster than you on those rough bits.

I ride Mavic Aksium wheels - they came with the bike. People say they are a bit of the heavy side and when they break I will be getting lighter ones, but they have been spot on. No issues with spokes or needing adjustment, never been trued. About 6000km on them so far and I can't complain. I think they are a great wheel for the price - less than $500 but not sure what they are. Cheaper on line of course.

I might see you on the path - you'll recognise me from the smile on my face :D

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:50 pm

Yeah I'm heading off soon too, got 2 bottles in the freezer already. It's gonna be a stinker. Fun though. :shock:

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Bloody spoke bust again!
I'm getting fed up with cheap crap kit. Time to invest in a proper bike!

BTW the wheels are Alexrims DA22 - am I right in assuming they are !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!?!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Yes - I hate them. I have a flat bar that now spends most time attached to a trainer. Same rime. Broken 3 spokes on the road and another 2 on the trainer. Investigate the Aksiums.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 pm

20thCB wrote:Bloody spoke bust again!

BTW the wheels are Alexrims DA22 - am I right in assuming they are s***?!
When you're busting spokes, it's because the wheel wasn't constructed properly in the first place. Loose spokes allow movement, which leads to metal fatigue and snapped spokes.

The cheapest option is to have the wheel rebuilt (or do it yourself). Doing so will markedly improve the durability of the wheel, even if it's widely considered to be shyt from the factory.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:20 am

Kalgrm wrote: The cheapest option is to have the wheel rebuilt (or do it yourself).
Can't do it myself, and not worth getting it done as they are cheap heavy wheels anyway. I just want something decent, I'll be looking at new bikes tomorrow.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:38 pm

20thCB wrote: I just want something decent, I'll be looking at new bikes tomorrow.
That's the spirit! ;)
---------------------

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
20thCB wrote: I just want something decent, I'll be looking at new bikes tomorrow.
That's the spirit! ;)
Here here!! "I don't like my wheels...so I'll be looking at new bikes!!"

A shopper after my own heart :D

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:29 pm

20thCB.... lets face it you have been infected with the bug we cyclists are destined to catch at some point. Its confirmed you now have upgradeitis! :D :wink:
be the change in the world you want to see

azzurribike

Postby azzurribike » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:30 pm

PS thanks also for the new reason to purchase a new bike. I will save this up for a rainy day.

Oh bugger I forgot I'm now cured Cervelo R3 did it. :D
be the change in the world you want to see

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm

20thCB wrote:Bloody spoke bust again!

BTW the wheels are Alexrims DA22 - am I right in assuming they are s***?!
had those wheels on my entry level roady ,because they were under warnty TBE nedlands re spoked them with heavier gauge spokes -- no problemo afer that 8)
Last edited by Bruce on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wintal

Postby wintal » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:46 pm

20thCB wrote:
Kalgrm wrote: The cheapest option is to have the wheel rebuilt (or do it yourself).
Can't do it myself, and not worth getting it done as they are cheap heavy wheels anyway. I just want something decent, I'll be looking at new bikes tomorrow.
Just remember to look at the _wheels_ on the new bike too. It's fairly well known that most of the cheaper makers (and probably some of the others too) tend to put cheap crappy wheels on not so cheap bikes, because people look at the spec level of the rest and don't look at the wheels.

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Well realistically I can't afford it now as it turns out, so I'll hold on for a year, and just upgrade the wheels on the OCR3. The Eastons are stronger and lighter and a good upgrade for $500. Plus I'll get SPD pedals (still using toe clips).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 am

moosterbounce wrote:Hey - I rode this today :) Only saw 2 bikes in the whole journey...I thought I was mad...and I am as I'm just about to head home again :)
I do the South - North run to Joondalup from either Freo or Churchlands four mornings a week and see heaps of riders on the PSP when I go that way ... don't what you lot are doing out there ... getting lost? :)

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:15 am

Give ya $20 for your old wheels.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:02 am

Aushiker wrote:I do the South - North run to Joondalup from either Freo or Churchlands four mornings a week and see heaps of riders on the PSP when I go that way ... don't what you lot are doing out there ... getting lost? :)

Andrew
Yeah I was exaggerating! Although the north section at 6:30am is pretty empty till about Warwick. Coming home there are heaps more but most are gone by Whitfords. I do the remaining 10km on me lonesome!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:12 am

20thCB wrote:Although the north section at 6:30am is pretty empty till about Warwick.
Yep ... lots of wannabes doing short commutes. Only a few of us tough enough to go the distance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:10 am

It's true - I only saw 2 people in the morning. One near Stirling on a Jamis 105 flat bar, and another closer to the city. I usually see more around the Greenwood/Warwick area but not that day. I left home at 7.30am which may have been a bit late for some. I also go Loftus St to get to West Perth so miss the "city" traffic.

On the way home had a chat with another guy but only saw 2 other riders!! It was quite warm and the pool was nice when I got home :)

Had to break suddenly on the path at Gwelup. Was fanging it down the slight hill and saw a shadow move in front of me (very shady area). Anyway, slid the back wheel a bit but controlled it...all for a long neck turtle moving house!! They are pretty long with their necks out.

Also managed to get Scotty airborne over a hump - don't ask me how I landed it straight!! I think if I had have realised I was in the air I would have stacked it. Won't be coming down that hill that quick again!!

Me thinks the weight I lost from the bike when I upgraded to Dura Ace is a making a difference - Scotty sure does fly now :wink:

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:44 pm

The northern path is pretty rubbish - a lot of it is rough.

Out of interest - is it the front or rear wheel that blows spokes?

If it is the rear all the time them try lifting your butt over the rougher sections - let your legs take the shocks. :wink:

But they should be strong enough in any case. :roll:

I occasionally ride from Mt Hawthorn to Mindarie, but never the other way - it is only when we go to the outlaws for dinner. :lol:
Bottecchia 803 Flat bar roadie.

I'm not a complete idiot - parts of me are missing!