Wireless cycling computer and train stations?

purplegolden

Wireless cycling computer and train stations?

Postby purplegolden » Sat May 05, 2007 7:31 pm

Does anyone know if wireless bike computers are affected by proximity to train stations (electric ones)? My Polar hrm often fails as I ride past a certain station in Perth - and I was wondering if a wireless bike computer does the same. My wired bike computer has no problems.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 pm

I would not be surprised if the Electro Magnetec Ambience of such a site would disturb digital transmissions.

If not Electro Magnetic then conflicting digital frequencies could also be present at such a site and interfere with transmission.

If you want to be 100% sure, you'll need to know a scientist / Radio Frequency person and find out what frequency your cyclo-computer is running on.

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sat May 05, 2007 8:01 pm

I guess what I was hoping for was if anyone had similar experience with a wireless computer and train stations - though it also appears to occur when I ride past a power grid.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Sat May 05, 2007 9:45 pm

On my commute in, I ride (well walk mostly) over a couple of pedestrian bridges over train lines. My HR is usually up a bit due to the grade and there is one bridge where I tend to have a minute break which is about my halfway mark. I don't need breaks where there are no hills, but I digress.

I have a polar F11 HRM and a Sigma 1606 wireless computer with cadence etc and I can't say I've ever had a problem. Parts of my ride are under the big and chunky high voltage lines too, no problems there either. The high readings on my HRM are at the top of hills, and the high reading on the speedo on the bike are usually at the bottom of hills. :)

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat May 05, 2007 11:30 pm

I don't know what model polar you have, but some are suseptable to this sort of interference and others aren't (well, probably not to the same extent). I've never had a problem with my CS200.

This was discussed a few months back and there's some difference between the models that makes the cheaper ones more suseptable. Might pay you to search on CS200cad to find the relevant posts.

Richard

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sun May 06, 2007 11:22 am

Actually it isn't a cheap polar - it is a cs300. The friend I ride with has a polar F11 and it is usually unaffected!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun May 06, 2007 7:47 pm

which train station? I'll give it a try.

Moo...

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sun May 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi Moo

McIver is the one I usually ride past where my Polar has a bit of a problem. Watch out for the glass though! Usually a bit around, particularly on a Monday.

Thanks!

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue May 08, 2007 11:48 pm

I've had problems with a wireless speedo. When riding past McIver station and under high voltage power lines, it goes haywire. I also suspected the mobile phone caused it problems.

I've since gone back to the wired one and have had no issues.

Kev.

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Wed May 09, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks very much Kev. That was my guess as what would happen. I also have problems at Claisebrook.

Sonya

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 09, 2007 9:58 am

There ya go. I live near some very high tension power lines and don't have a problem. I guess with trains the power's that much closer. Electricity, 'tis a dark art :twisted:

Richard

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 am

As a master of the dark arts I can tell you high tension power lines have large magnetic fields around them. Any more information than that and I'll have to kill you.

Without knowing how the data in your computer is sent and received it's hard to say why it has trouble at that location.

I had a good fault on my Shimano flightdeck on Sunday. The max speed was 118.3km/h and the average speed was 'err'.
We were hitting 40 but certainly not 118.3km/h.

I should have got a photo of it and sent it to my cycling brother in law.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed May 09, 2007 9:14 pm

I had a Vetta V100 wireless. Nice on board functions, but continually having problems with the wireless. I took it back and got it replaced, but the LBS said they all had the problem and refused to sell them anymore.

Mainly around high voltage power lines the unit played up. The trains in Perth are electric and riding under the power lines used to set it off. I also was on the Munda Biddi trail and rode under the high voltage grid feeders and it did the same thing. Top speed of 120 km/h on a gravel mountain bike trail :shock:

I was in granny gear too.

Kev.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed May 09, 2007 9:26 pm

V
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 09, 2007 9:28 pm

It was probably your pace maker messing it up Kev :D

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed May 09, 2007 9:32 pm

europa wrote:It was probably your pace maker messing it up Kev :D

Richard
I asked about that, but apparently the nuclear battery in my pacemaker went flat several years ago. The doctor only just remembered to tell me. :shock:

Kev.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed May 09, 2007 10:29 pm

I have a Polar S625X and I get occasional peaks of speed of 70km/h+ showing when I'm only doing 25 - 30km/h. However when I download to my computer using my USB key the rogue data doesn't exist! I'll check where this happens next time as I never thought of power lines or train stations.

I hope it's not that new Smart Rider system. I believe that they wirelessly transmit data back to the central database. (These terminals are on buses as well.)

(One for the Privacy aware - log onto Transperth and register your Smart Rider card you can see your public transport movements for as long as you have had a Smart Rider card!)

Cheers,

Gary

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 09, 2007 10:33 pm

heavymetal wrote:I had a Vetta V100 wireless. Nice on board functions, but continually having problems with the wireless. I took it back and got it replaced, but the LBS said they all had the problem and refused to sell them anymore.

Mainly around high voltage power lines the unit played up. The trains in Perth are electric and riding under the power lines used to set it off. I also was on the Munda Biddi trail and rode under the high voltage grid feeders and it did the same thing. Top speed of 120 km/h on a gravel mountain bike trail :shock:

I was in granny gear too.

Kev.
You must have excellent cadience

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu May 10, 2007 10:39 am

gdl_gdl wrote:(One for the Privacy aware - log onto Transperth and register your Smart Rider card you can see your public transport movements for as long as you have had a Smart Rider card!)
I noticed that with my daughter's smart rider. Personally I don't have that problem as I have a free pass for any Transperth transport. (vet affairs).

If they are transmitting wirelessly, I'll have to unpack my wardriver and dish and have a look next time a bus pulls up outside.

Kev.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu May 10, 2007 10:41 am

mikesbytes wrote:You must have excellent cadience
With that speedo, I'll never know as the wireless cadence sensor never worked, so I removed it. I ended up removing the entire thing and went back to the trusty old Panoram.

Kev.

reparto corse

Postby reparto corse » Thu May 17, 2007 8:11 pm

I too have the cs300 and it sometimes goes a bit whacky. When i ride around centenial park there's a particular spot that it tells me that my heart rate is around the 200bpm, but moments before it would be around the 130bpm. Maybe because it's the U.S model that it may not like certain frequencies that we use here in OZ more. I can't explain it, but it is frustrating at times as it makes me think that i'm about to have a heart attack or something.

jay

Postby jay » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:42 pm

I run a 725 and it often gets "scrambled" (it tells me I'm dead or going at 100kph) on the Harbour Bridge. Pretty sure it's the overhead wire lines.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:58 pm

heavymetal wrote:I've since gone back to the wired one and have had no issues. Kev.
What are you using Kev?

Andrew

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:21 pm

reparto corse wrote:I too have the cs300 and it sometimes goes a bit whacky. When i ride around centenial park there's a particular spot that it tells me that my heart rate is around the 200bpm, but moments before it would be around the 130bpm. Maybe because it's the U.S model that it may not like certain frequencies that we use here in OZ more. I can't explain it, but it is frustrating at times as it makes me think that i'm about to have a heart attack or something.
Perhaps the 200bpm is where you are going up the hill :D

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Aushiker wrote:What are you using Kev?
A 3 year old Panoram with a wide screen.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.