HELP! My clipless is clipless!

ShanDog

HELP! My clipless is clipless!

Postby ShanDog » Wed May 09, 2007 9:22 pm

So I was on my commute back to my car after work and I popped down a gutter on my mtb and my right foot completely popped out of my clipless pedal. At first I thought nothing of it but it happened again. So I did a check just by pulling my foot straight upwards and sure enough my foot came straight out almost as if there was no clip at all and it was a normal pedal. I have no idea why its doing this. The pedals are the M324's the same ones that I remember Richard has so Richard you might be able to help me out. I've check the tension indicator and its still at the highest tension setting but it suddenly seems to be doing nothing at all. On the trip to work there were no problems, it seemed to just start happening on the trip home. I've had a look over it but can't find any obvious reason for this to be happening.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the tension spring is broken or worn but I've had the pedals roughly 6mths with nearly 3mths of not being used due to my bike being in the shop for repairs. Does anyone have any ideas short of me heading back to the LBS?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 09, 2007 9:26 pm

I've got no idea. Do check your cleats and pedal for mud or something else clogging the works. Apart from that, actually put an allen key on the adjusting screw and check that it is done up.

My M324s have clocked up over 1200 km without a hint of trouble so I can't describe myself as an expert on their problems.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed May 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Are your cleats Multi Release? They should have the numbers 55 on them (the bit attached to the shoe) if they are. If they are, then they tend to do this sometimes as I have them. I found that by backing the tension all the way off, and cleaning the junk out of the clip area, and then readjusting them, they magically work again.

If they are not multi release, then they may have something like a stone caught somewhere, or the spring has busted. Try backing the tension off a little bit and see if it works as the adjuster may have gone too far.

Kev.

Edited: I have T324 pedals, very similiar to the M324s :D

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed May 09, 2007 10:27 pm

my cleats say Shimano SM-SH56. I'm pretty sure they're not multi-release (meaning they only release to the side, right? which they do).

I've check for dirt where it shouldn't be and there isn't. When I released the tension screw, before it even got to the lowest setting, the clip at the back of the pedal started getting loose and I could move it with a light touch of my finger... I don't ever remember it being that loose when I first had the pedals. After tightening them again it's still the same. My guess is that my spring has probably gone.

Anyone have any suggestions on what are my options? (with buying a new set of pedals as my last option)

Cheers guys,
Shan

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 pm

Have a good look at the mechanism for faults, take both pedals off so you can compare easily. If it is something broke, you might get lucky scrounging (L)BS bins for otherly broken similar pedals you could cannibalise, I doubt a mousetrap spring would work :?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 10, 2007 9:56 am

heavymetal wrote: the spring has busted. Try backing the tension off a little bit and see if it works as the adjuster may have gone too far.

I think that the spring sounds like the culprit. Is it just one side or both ?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu May 10, 2007 10:54 am

sbra9635 wrote:my cleats say Shimano SM-SH56. I'm pretty sure they're not multi-release (meaning they only release to the side, right? which they do).
Correct, they are not multi release.
sbra9635 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on what are my options? (with buying a new set of pedals as my last option)
Here is something you can try. When I back my adjusters all the way off, they get loose as well. I have one fairly loose on purpose.

It may be a worn cleat. Adjust the suspect pedal back up to maximum tension and stick the other shoe in it. See if it comes out. If it doesn't, I'd look for wear on the cleat itself. They do eventually wear down, and it may be an issue, especially if you have been walking on lots of bitumen or stones.

Kev.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu May 10, 2007 12:28 pm

MichaelB wrote:
heavymetal wrote: the spring has busted. Try backing the tension off a little bit and see if it works as the adjuster may have gone too far.

I think that the spring sounds like the culprit. Is it just one side or both ?
It's only the right hand side. The left is still 100%
heavymetal wrote:
sbra9635 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on what are my options? (with buying a new set of pedals as my last option)
Here is something you can try. When I back my adjusters all the way off, they get loose as well. I have one fairly loose on purpose.

It may be a worn cleat. Adjust the suspect pedal back up to maximum tension and stick the other shoe in it. See if it comes out. If it doesn't, I'd look for wear on the cleat itself. They do eventually wear down, and it may be an issue, especially if you have been walking on lots of bitumen or stones.

Kev.
That's a really good idea. I'll definately try that once I get home again. Cheers Kev!
Last edited by ShanDog on Sat May 12, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sat May 12, 2007 10:43 am

heavymetal wrote:It may be a worn cleat. Adjust the suspect pedal back up to maximum tension and stick the other shoe in it. See if it comes out. If it doesn't, I'd look for wear on the cleat itself. They do eventually wear down, and it may be an issue, especially if you have been walking on lots of bitumen or stones.

Kev.
Ok so I've given it a go finally with the other shoe and I get exactly the same result. So I've come to the conclusion that it is a clip related issue and nothing to do with the cleats.

Is it possible to have a clip rebuilt? and if so is it worth it from an economical point of view or should I just by another set of pedals?

The bike is still ridable but I pretty much should just use the pedals as if there are no clips on them at all until I fix them.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat May 12, 2007 10:51 am

Go for a ride to your lbs and have a yarn with them. Hopefully we're missing something obvious.

Richard