Balcatta Recycling Centre Repco Superlite

twowheels

Balcatta Recycling Centre Repco Superlite

Postby twowheels » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Another goodun spotted at the Balcatta Recycling Centre today, this time a Repco Superlite converted to flat bar. Bike is complete with alloy rims, shot (700 x 19) tyres though.

also there was a step thru Repco Traveller.

Both still there, I was looking for something else, happy hunting!

wintal

Postby wintal » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:38 pm

How big was the Superlite approximately?

(Edited for clarity)

Cheers,
Leighton...

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:06 am

i swung my leg over the top tube, from clearance at a guess I would say a 19 to 21 " frame.

btw the alloy rims are quick release.

wintal

Postby wintal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:15 am

Ahh thanks, way too small for me sadly :)

Cheers,
Leighton...

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Not sure if I should be posting this here or in the Repco appreciation thread in the retro forum.

Anyway it is now sold to the fat hippy with the long hair (me :D ) a mate of mine gave me the heads up and I went past in my lunchbreak today. By the time I got to it there was no front wheel left. I didn't have a tape measure but my own bike was in the car from this mornings ride so I comapred top tube lengths with a piece of wire and I would say it is about a 52cm TT so possibly a bit short for me but who knows. Gear wise it has been converted to flat bar with some ordinary bits which will go in the bin. Cranks and chainring (biopace) are Exage as well as single pivot Exage brakes and rear hub. The weirdest thing is the rear dropouts, they are forged angled ones but have not been opened up fully, I am sure the purists will lambast me but as this will become a single speed project then I will be giving them a seeing to with the drill and files to open the slots up :o

Anyway some photo's it looks like a bit of an 80's child judging by the paint colours and puke graphics scheme!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 pm

Not a bad score... those Gfx remind me of Miami Vice 8)

but what is with those half-ar5sed cut dropouts? I have seen such dropouts one or two kerbside finds I've picked up. I passed the frames on - primarily for that reason. They rule out FG conversion :( ... unless you want to cut/file the sucker out yourself.

It's almost like they were made on the cusp of realising they could make vertical dropouts cheaper in production - but used their stocks of the old semi-horizontal ones, saving their cutting/finishing tools by only doing the dropout part way.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:07 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Not a bad score... those Gfx remind me of Miami Vice 8)

but what is with those half-ar5sed cut dropouts? I have seen such dropouts one or two kerbside finds I've picked up. I passed the frames on - primarily for that reason. They rule out FG conversion :( ... unless you want to cut/file the sucker out yourself.

It's almost like they were made on the cusp of realising they could make vertical dropouts cheaper in production - but used their stocks of the old semi-horizontal ones, saving their cutting/finishing tools by only doing the dropout part way.
A very good score for $5!

Yeah the dropouts are weird and maybe the reason it was still there, but nothing that half an hour mucking around jigging it up in the drill press and a bit of cutting and filing wont solve. My brain must have been addled before as I measured it with a tape when I got home and found that it and my other bike !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! does Shine are both actually 55cm top tubes so it looks like this will be a keeper even with the pimp graphics.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:41 pm

This one has same drop out feature, but on driveside only.
I'm planning a S/S conversion so mine will be getting the drill and fil too.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 am

I've got one of those half-arsed dropout jobs also....
These are only a 4130CrMo Main Frame - meaning the rear is Hi-Tensile, I guess. I've seen two of these frames with RH chainstays cracked at the rear dropout union. Probably not a good idea to try to force the rear stays to fit a 130 mm O.L.D. rear wheel in, me thinks. If you need to, get the stays properly 'cold-set' and the dropouts properly aligned

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:06 am

kukamunga wrote:I've got one of those half-arsed dropout jobs also....
These are only a 4130CrMo Main Frame - meaning the rear is Hi-Tensile, I guess. I've seen two of these frames with RH chainstays cracked at the rear dropout union. Probably not a good idea to try to force the rear stays to fit a 130 mm O.L.D. rear wheel in, me thinks. If you need to, get the stays properly 'cold-set' and the dropouts properly aligned
Cheers Kuka, it still has the CroMo label on the
I measured it last night and it is already out to 128mm! but the plan for this one is back into 120mm. Do you mind measuring your seatpost diameter as well for me? this one has had a 25.8 seat post fitted which is obviously undersized and a "Paris-Roubaix" seatpost mod done to it to stop it slipping (tek screw through the side of the seat lug) :(

munga

Postby munga » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:29 am

Kokamunga: do you know what year your tri-a is? 91?
i just picked one up.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 pm

ausdb wrote:Do you mind measuring your seatpost diameter as well for me? this one has had a 25.8 seat post fitted which is obviously undersized.....
26.6 mm seems to be a nice fit

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:50 pm

munga wrote:Kukamunga: do you know what year your tri-a is? 91?
i just picked one up.
Going by the mish-mash of component date codes on it ('89, '90), I'd say it is a 1991 model, 1990 at the earliest.....

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 pm

kukamunga wrote:
ausdb wrote:Do you mind measuring your seatpost diameter as well for me? this one has had a 25.8 seat post fitted which is obviously undersized.....
26.6 mm seems to be a nice fit
Cheers, I will try and prise it out a bit

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:13 pm

munga wrote:Kukamunga:
my bad..