How to wash riding gloves?

ShanDog

How to wash riding gloves?

Postby ShanDog » Wed May 09, 2007 9:23 pm

My riding gloves are filthy and need a good clean but with the synthetic leather and the pads and the rest, I dunno if they're sweet to just pop in the washing machine or if I should do something else? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Shan

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 pm

My gloves survived 70kms in pouring rain. My gloves, even on cold nights like tonight (just got in from another 25km) always finish a ride soaked in sweat and don't seem to mind. Bung 'em in the wash and be done with it. If they come out funny, wear them for a ride and see what happens, but I reckon you'll be sweet.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed May 09, 2007 9:31 pm

I just throw them into the washing machine. They come out alright and once you wear them again they regain their former shape.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed May 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Easy as... Cheers guys. Its not really the gloves I was worried about that much but more the bothering to go to the lbs which is out of the way to buy new ones if I screwed up hehe :P

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed May 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Just remember to take the gloves off before throwing them into the washing machine. :D

Kev.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed May 09, 2007 9:34 pm

A
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed May 09, 2007 9:55 pm

Well if you must know, my gloves haven't been cleaned in about hmmm 6mths... I never noticed any smell at all until today but thats probably because I've ridden in the rain a few times and given 'em the 'ol natural wash haha

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed May 09, 2007 10:10 pm

I've been putting mine in with the rest of my gear for over a year now, no problems.

Just got some $90 Pearl Zumi winter gloves that suggest a cold wash on the care instructions.

They're a lot less icky after a wash.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 09, 2007 10:29 pm

I shove mine in the washing machine too and have had no problems.

I have seen another guys gloves that didn't do so well in the washing machine, so perhaps it depends on which ones you have.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 pm

They're just a pair of $20-$30 nike gloves. They do the job and are pretty comfortable. If they turn to crap then I'll more than gladly upgrade.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 09, 2007 10:53 pm

I had to throw out my previous pair of cycling gloves well before they wore out simply because they were stinky as. Despite regularly putting them through the washing machine with the rest of my cycling gear the smell just wouldn't go away. Can't remember the brand, but I bought some Netti Premium gloves to replace them and they're much better. I stick them in the wash every couple of weeks but they never get reeky.

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Maybe soak them in Napisan if the smell won't go away...
Anthony.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 09, 2007 11:52 pm

Wear 'em in the shower, soap and scrub away... :shock:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 10, 2007 4:51 am

I usually do a hand wash. All you need is a buckets, bit of washing powder and water and you can start giving your hands and fingers their own workout. Only then would I risk throwing them in the washing machine, they get so filthy, the rest of washing would turn grey.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 10, 2007 4:53 am

Hotdog wrote:Despite regularly putting them through the washing machine with the rest of my cycling gear the smell just wouldn't go away.
There's an infestation of little bugs! :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu May 10, 2007 7:01 am

Well the results are in! After the wash last night the gloves came out with no disfigurement and smell like roses in comparison to before. They even look like different gloves because 6mths of dirt has been washed out so sections of it and look a completely different colour.

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu May 10, 2007 8:42 am

Sounds like it's too late but I'd would have said hand wash them separately first.

Black dye came out of mine for the first few washes. My wife would have killed me if I had have just chucked them in the machine and that happened.

I also wash all our bits go in the machine in a little bag with holes. Have to due to the velcro. Things like the pads out of our helmets and my HRM strap. Things get smelly fast up here riding in the higher temps.

Richardwestmelb

Re: How to wash riding gloves?

Postby Richardwestmelb » Thu May 10, 2007 12:29 pm

sbra9635 wrote:My riding gloves are filthy and need a good clean but with the synthetic leather and the pads and the rest, I dunno if they're sweet to just pop in the washing machine or if I should do something else? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Shan
I actually chuck them in a bucket of Nappy san (I am a virgo) and let them soak for about 2 days then chuck them in the wash, they come ouw looking almost new evern after dirt Grease etc.

DrEvil123

Re: How to wash riding gloves?

Postby DrEvil123 » Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Richardwestmelb wrote:
sbra9635 wrote:My riding gloves are filthy and need a good clean but with the synthetic leather and the pads and the rest, I dunno if they're sweet to just pop in the washing machine or if I should do something else? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Shan
I actually chuck them in a bucket of Nappy san (I am a virgo) and let them soak for about 2 days then chuck them in the wash, they come ouw looking almost new evern after dirt Grease etc.
How does a Virgo come into this? ...because I am Virgo too and suggested the same idea!
Anthony.

531db

Postby 531db » Thu May 10, 2007 8:59 pm

I wash all my cycling gear in a top loader machine on a regular cycle with wool wash detergent.
Knicks and top go into a mesh lingere bag (you know the thing your better half washes her bra's and things in), and my TUFF Kevlar gloves go into another. Gloves have a habit of disintergrating if just chucked into the machine and if you are one of those who does'nt wash 'em regulary, you have a nasty germridden breeding ground on your hands - literally.

drevil

Postby drevil » Fri May 11, 2007 10:29 am

I think it also depends on what material your gloves are made from. My gloves have never stunk (stank?), but my son's cheaper Anaconda gloves get rank after a couple of wears. He's not a heavy sweater or anything either.

Just a tip, if you bung em in the wash, close the velcro tabs or put them in a bra bag otherwise you get fluff & stuff sticking to them and eventually they will keep popping open.

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:13 pm

Don't know if I'm a grub, lazy or what but I just throw all my cycling clothes in the shower & let the soap I wash myself with run onto them all. Give them a good rinse to get the soap out after, squeexe as much water out as I can without wringing and hang on washing line. I don't worry too much about colour coded pegs though, they're either plastic or wooden. Bit like me at times now I think about it.

pospete

Postby pospete » Fri May 11, 2007 9:21 pm

Aussteve2712 wrote:Don't know if I'm a grub, lazy or what but I just throw all my cycling clothes in the shower & let the soap I wash myself with run onto them all. Give them a good rinse to get the soap out after, squeexe as much water out as I can without wringing and hang on washing line. I don't worry too much about colour coded pegs though, they're either plastic or wooden. Bit like me at times now I think about it.

Altho stictly speaking it's a Pink job and part of OHs territory, being my kit I do it myself in exactly the same way, once washed I just drip dry it. No mess, no fuss, and saves water.

On the subject of pink jobs, I think there has been way too much concern on cloths washing technics, and pegs etc. (I can almost hear the Lumberjack song in the background, or anything by Village People) Tho I admit I have never met a bunch of breeders so intouch with their feminin sides, very refreshing! :lol: I await the knitting thread with baited breath........
Anyone do any cross stitch? :lol:
Talk to the hand