Mother's Day plans

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Mother's Day plans

Postby europa » Fri May 11, 2007 3:57 pm

You forgot it was this weekend didn't you. Bought her a pressy yet? No? Hmmm?

So, what riding are you going to do and how much trouble are you going to get in for doing it?

Myself?
The gf is working so I'm safe there.
I don't have the kids so I can actually do some decent distances.
The family's (the olds and my sisters) have decided to have a picnic ... at the same time my son is playing soccer.

Soooo, I'll be sleeping in a bit, riding down to the lad's soccer game in town (about 22 km), watch him play then out to where the picnic is (about 10km) then home again (around the 20 km mark I think), having to tackle Flagstaff Hill in the process. The nice thing is, I'll get home in time to leap in the car and race down to pick up my son from his mother's. Of course, I could do the lot in the car, but where'd be the fun in that :D

Richard

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri May 11, 2007 5:59 pm

I got my missus a washing machine. The gift that keeps on giving. :wink:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat May 12, 2007 12:24 am

Well I won't be riding anywhere. I'm not allowed to ride until I can fully feel my arm again. It's a bit hard riding with only one functioning hand and arm.

I'm stuffed if I know why it dropped dead on me this time. I wasn't riding because my foot was dead.

Maybe I'm getting old....... and fallling apart....... :D

It's a good chance to pull the bike apart for a service and wrap it's winter gear onto it.

Kev.

europa

Postby europa » Sat May 12, 2007 12:25 am

heavymetal wrote:Well I won't be riding anywhere. I'm not allowed to ride until I can fully feel my arm again. It's a bit hard riding with only one functioning hand and arm.

I'm stuffed if I know why it dropped dead on me this time. I wasn't riding because my foot was dead.

Maybe I'm getting old....... and fallling apart....... :D

It's a good chance to pull the bike apart for a service and wrap it's winter gear onto it.

Kev.
Bummer. Have a couple of ales for me then mate - if you can't ride, you'd might as well make a fool of yourself at the barbie :D

Richard

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat May 12, 2007 8:20 am

Re Mother's day, my son has a soccer game at 8.30am so that rules out any breakfast in bed. (Local derby tomorrow against the other U9's at the club so it should be a good one!)

Luckily the kids have made things at school and I just need to go to K-Mart to print off a couple of digital photos that we've taken and that's the job done! (and maybe time to sneak in a quick ride later in the day! :wink: )

Cheers,

Gary

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sat May 12, 2007 10:36 am

My mother doesn't live close to me but since I injured my left leg on thursday night (not cycling related, more of a big night out 'how did that happen' type of injury :P ) cycling is out of the question for at least a week. I suppose I should do some study instead but we'll see how that one rides out.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat May 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Avoiding picnic areas at all cost! Learnt my lesson because the ex-mother-in-law used to be insistent on going "somewhere special" on every bloody occasion that every other mother-in-law insisted on going "somewhere special". The only good legacy I got from the experience is we now go "somewhere special" the weekend after bloody occasions! Much less stressful!

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat May 12, 2007 5:56 pm

I'll be calling my Mum (she's in Adelaide), then going round to help my daughter cook breakfast for the others (who are doing a fun run at 8:00am). Then it's football with my daughter (driving) and hopefully a ride in the afternoon - probably the Federal Highway to Lake George and back. It would have been glorious riding this afternoon (it was good enough this morning, just a bit cool).

531db

Postby 531db » Sat May 12, 2007 9:01 pm

Ah, wondered where you were this morning LuckyPierre, as the rest of us ACTVCC and CCC types raced over the delightfully hilly (not!) Tharwa to Pt Hut Crossing and return x 2 course in the Bob Chorley Memorial Hcp. Pretty happy with my 34.11 kph average over the tough 38km, had max speed of 67.6 kph keeping up with the A Graders down a bit of a hill. All on a real steel bicycle with downtube shifters of course. :D

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun May 13, 2007 5:44 pm

Tharwa to Pt. Hutt is soft! :wink: I've been sick (and I thought that they were going Tharwa to Apollo Rd. -which isn't soft :? , so I didn't go). Plus, I put a few 'football taxi' kms. in the bank, because I want to do Dalton in June and that means I can't help with football. I will be a bit irregular for the next few weeks until the football season settles down.
My Mother's Day worked out pretty much as planned - breakfast with kids and their Mum (french toast topped with baby spinach, smoked salmon, poached eggs and hollandaise), then football, then a ride. I went out the Barton Highway rather than the Federal (football was on the way) and back - a bit overcast, but very pleasant riding.

europa

Postby europa » Sun May 13, 2007 7:12 pm

My mother's day followed the plans ... sort of.
Got the the lad's soccer game early.
They got thrashed and he picked up a yellow card (but was best on ground).
Coach kept them in the rooms for half an hour after the game ...
... so I got to the picnic with only 15 mins before having to leave again ... after leaving Mum's present at home. Rode home, beat that damned Flagstaff Hill at last but only had ten minutes before having to get into the car to drive down to pick up the lad from his mother's. Got home ... and have to cook dinner.

That first glass of wine is going to taste good tonight ... provided it lasts long enough to taste that is :D

Richard