Tyre rotation

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri May 11, 2007 8:34 am

There's no particular science involved, apart from "it works out about right", but I just replace the rear tyre when it needs it, and then replace the front tyre the following time I replace the rear tyre, so perhaps just replace the rear tyre this coming time, and do both the time after.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri May 11, 2007 9:23 am

I've been thinking about rotating tyres too, but I think that I've talked myself out of it - mainly because my rear tyre's pretty cut up from all the bl**dy glass that people throw out of their cars. Why does it end up in the bike lane?
Some people swear by 'aging' tyres before they use them (I know, it sounds stupid to me, too) so why not buy them before you need them ie. when there's a good special?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri May 11, 2007 9:35 am

mikesbytes wrote:I use to do all that stuff, tyre rotation, put a new on a front and put the front on the rear or whatever. Nowadays I'm a bit slack, I might wack a new one on the front and finish off the tyre on the rear, when I get rid of the rear.
I don't quite understand the differentiation b/n your first and second scenario.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri May 11, 2007 10:29 am

stryker84 wrote:
europa wrote:Other than that, I agree with Sheldon's basic tenant that you want a good tyre on the front.
As the resident wordsmith, I'm assuming you meant "tenet" , as opposed to someone who currently occupies Sheldon's property? :wink:
I was working in dopey cyclist mode **pokes tongue out**

Richard

(but that does explain why the post didn't feel right :roll: )

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 11, 2007 9:38 pm

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I use to do all that stuff, tyre rotation, put a new on a front and put the front on the rear or whatever. Nowadays I'm a bit slack, I might wack a new one on the front and finish off the tyre on the rear, when I get rid of the rear.
I don't quite understand the differentiation b/n your first and second scenario.
Tyre rotatation is swapping the tyres between the wheels. IE the half worn rear ends up on the front.

Putting a new one on the front and moving the existing front to the rear, throwing the existing rear away is the other method.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat May 12, 2007 1:54 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
sogood wrote:
Tyre rotatation is swapping the tyres between the wheels. IE the half worn rear ends up on the front.

Putting a new one on the front and moving the existing front to the rear, throwing the existing rear away is the other method.
I agree with your definition of tyre rotation. But I get the impression from your original post that you considered the other method in the same busket.

Ok, so we are clear now. :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 12, 2007 5:38 pm

The conti developed a hole today. I was going to change it tomorrow anyway.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat May 12, 2007 6:07 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The conti developed a hole today. I was going to change it tomorrow anyway.
This wasn't the 'tomorrow that never comes' was it :roll:

Richard

no, I didn't fit those brakes today, I got pithed watching Tour De France DVDs instead :oops:

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat May 12, 2007 6:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The conti developed a hole today. I was going to change it tomorrow anyway.
Tomorrow will be a new day!

I look forward to seeing your OCR with those blue tyres and I'll be riding from home to our meeting point. :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 12, 2007 8:07 pm

sogood wrote:
Tomorrow will be a new day!

I look forward to seeing your OCR with those blue tyres and I'll be riding from home to our meeting point. :wink:
I'm going to put a rubino pro on it that I have lying around. Not riding tomorrow

Burn plenty of Glycogen