trick riding vs stunt riding

open topic, for anything cycling related.

trick riding vs stunt riding

Postby needanewbike » Sat May 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi

I have been interested in a bike that says it is suitable for freestyle or trick riding but not offroad or stunt riding.

Can anyone shed any light on the difference between these?

Thanks
needanewbike

by BNA » Sat May 12, 2007 5:56 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 12, 2007 5:56 pm

G'Day there, needanewbike. Welcome :)

IMO, freestyle or trick riding probably refers to flatland BMX type stuff where the bike doesn't get off the ground. Offroad or stunt riding, would be the dirt jump, freereide, trials school where the bike cops a hiding in every which way.

Apart from that, I think there's a lot of product liability backside covering in it too.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

PS What type of bike are you looking at?
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Sat May 12, 2007 6:05 pm

Can't help you with the technicalities mate, but please keep us informed of your discoveries and progress because this little black duck will be cheering you on and applauding every discovery you make - it's an area I'm too old to aspire to but that doesn't affect my admiration for those who master it :D

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby AUbicycles » Sat May 12, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi needanewbike,

don't know about the differences in frame geometry however two obvious differences are:

1) freestyle / trick bikes usually have pegs, ie platforms for standing upon which are attached to the hubs. Here is a 'random' photo from the net.

Although pegs are not 'required', for many disciplines on rules is not to touch the grounds and with the pegs there are hundreds more tricks that are possible. I have also seen some bikes with pegs only on one side for 'rail grinding'.

2) The second important difference is a gyro which enables the handle bars to be turned 360? plus. Imaging turning your handle bars around and around, many would ask "what about the brake cables". The Gyro is a solution in which the brake cable is intercepted (ie stops and starts). Before I try to explain, this 'random' image on the net shows a gyro. Squeezing the brake lever pulls the Gyro together (The silver part can rotate) and the brakes can be applied:

There are different freestyle / trick disciplines and as such probably more subtle differencing in the bikes and frames. Best thing is to find trick riders and see what they have and what they recommend.

Trials biking is also a style of trick biking in which the main aim is to ride over obstacles without putting the feet down, this includes high walls and anything in the way... Its a fun sport for inner city concrete jungles. Gear ratio is even lower than a BMX style trick bike so riding longer distances is basically out of the question.[/img]
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General discussion