100km in a day

tuco

100km in a day

Postby tuco » Tue May 08, 2007 9:28 am

Well we've done it (I say we because it's myself and my daughter). We rode a total of 100 km in a day. Probably doesn't sound much to some people here but it's a kilometre stone for us.

We did an 82km ride early in the morning (41km, rest period food/drinks/chat, then 41km back) then rested most of the day.
Later Megan went out for a short ride with her sister and clocked up another 5km. She then thought it would be good to do 100km in a day so talked her mother into riding the extra 13km late in the day.

Well I couldn't let my daughter beat me to doing 100km in a day so I went too. Problem is I had to do an extra 5km so I delayed leaving giving them a good 1km start then headed out. We were going around the river paths and I know all the distances around there backwards so I knew exactly were to ride to get 18km. I continued 3km past were they turned, did a U turn and went back chasing hard. My wife is no Kathy Watt so I knew they'd only be doing about 17km/h (must have killed Megan to go that slow :cry: ) and I was over 30km/h. I caught them where I expected and I racked up 18km about 200m from home. Megan still had 800m to go so we went around the block.

I know 82km is a little long for her age but she is fit and always has been fit and it can only help her interschool cross country training. The club coach was with us and he had no issues with the distance.

I think next time we do the 82km ride we'll just do a lap of town before heading home to get up the 100km even if only to say we've done a 100km ride.

That gave us 180km for the weekend (long weekend up here)

I'm resting a few days now then a hard ride Thursday, rest Friday, low pace ride Saturday and I should be in the best condition I've been in for years for Sunday's race.

bigbuzz73

Postby bigbuzz73 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:36 pm

Bloody good effort Tuco..... Sounds like your daughter is a bit of a machine, too! Good on you both! :D
Wayne

cev

Postby cev » Wed May 09, 2007 9:07 am

That's a good effort! I only managed 60km on Monday but went out and rode the biggest hills around here - which aren't that big.
Don't know what it's like up there but a little further south the SE winds are back which makes for very hard work!! - damn I hate the wind!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 09, 2007 9:21 am

Excellent effort - must be very pleasing that you can do it as a family thing as well.

My daughter is only 4 1/2, but like riding, so maybe when she is older, I can do the same as you - one part in vets, one in juniors and a camera woman !!!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed May 09, 2007 9:55 am

Good onya Tuco. There's something special about the century isn't there.

Richard

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed May 09, 2007 10:21 am

We're going on another one in hopefully in 2.5 weeks when there's another break in the racing calendar.

The next goal is doing the 82km (41km out and 41km back) + 18km around town to make an even 100km.
Then after that to tack on 20km which is the equivalent to the 120km Charters Towers to Townsville ride in August.

Still debating whether to go in it or not.

On Sunday we took it easy heading out and it took about 1h 35m/40m (I was late starting my computer) and coming back with barely a hint of a breeze it took 1h 20m.
Amazing what the slightest of breezes can do for the speed and energy use.
Going out was 1024 calories and coming back was only 862 calories.

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 09, 2007 10:43 am

tuco wrote:Amazing what the slightest of breezes can do for the speed and energy use.
Yes. I remember one of my evening rides along the beach front. I was feeling really good. Zipping along. Happy. Stress free. Then I turned around to go back :( I hadn't even noticed the breeze going out but by cripes I knew about it going back.

Richard

timbo

Postby timbo » Wed May 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Congratulations on the 100km. If people think that 100km sounds too far,look at it as a 50km ride with a lap of honour.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed May 09, 2007 5:28 pm

Metric century! :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 09, 2007 8:24 pm

Tuco, you can't just do 100k of flat, thats cheating. Add some serious hills to it and then its a real ride.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed May 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Tuco, you can't just do 100k of flat, thats cheating. Add some serious hills to it and then its a real ride.

Well done Tuco, I did my first one about 7 months ago and now I do them on a regular basis (and don't have the Saturday afternoon tiredness that I used to have much - which gets the wife off my back.)

I do a 100km 'cheat' as per Mike - not sure how I can rectify this as Perth is pretty flat! (However the hills we do have will sort me out on the 27th May - Tour De Perth Participation ride)

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed May 09, 2007 9:20 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Tuco, you can't just do 100k of flat, thats cheating. Add some serious hills to it and then its a real ride.
Congrats on the 100 Tuco. To add to mike's comments, try adding some panniers as well :D
gdl_gdl wrote:not sure how I can rectify this as Perth is pretty flat! (However the hills we do have will sort me out on the 27th May - Tour De Perth Participation ride)
Try riding up Armadale hill with 4 loaded panniers and a BOB trailer. There is another hill off of the SW Highway that goes up to Dwellingup. I had to jettison some of the water halfway up this one. It's a steep and long hill.

Kev.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed May 09, 2007 10:18 pm

Try riding up Armadale hill with 4 loaded panniers and a BOB trailer. There is another hill off of the SW Highway that goes up to Dwellingup. I had to jettison some of the water halfway up this one. It's a steep and long hill.

Fair point, I'll give Mundaring Road a go on the 27th and see how I fair first!

I assume there's no cycle lane on the SW Highway? (I reckon that's about 70km away from where I live!)

Cheers,

Gary

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 pm

Nice one Centurian! 8)

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu May 10, 2007 8:36 am

To answer Mikesbytes, if there were hills I'd ride them but this is flatsville and Heavymetal, who needs panniers as well with when I'm about 10kg over weight?

Can't wait for the next one. Who needs drugs when you have cycling to get addicted to?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu May 10, 2007 10:43 am

gdl_gdl wrote:I assume there's no cycle lane on the SW Highway? (I reckon that's about 70km away from where I live!)
You can get there almost by back roads, and there is a decent shoulder for the rest of the way.

Kev.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sat May 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Don't mean to steal your thunder Tuco, but i rode 25km today. :D

europa

Postby europa » Sat May 12, 2007 6:10 pm

ningnangnong wrote:Don't mean to steal your thunder Tuco, but i rode 25km today. :D
Mate, any achievement is a milestone. I'd refer you to my post bragging about my first 20km ride ... only it got nuked in a forum backup a few months back.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's an achievement worth bragging about, it's worth CHEERING as well :D

Richard

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Mon May 14, 2007 9:43 am

europa wrote:
ningnangnong wrote:Don't mean to steal your thunder Tuco, but i rode 25km today. :D
Mate, any achievement is a milestone. I'd refer you to my post bragging about my first 20km ride ... only it got nuked in a forum backup a few months back.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's an achievement worth bragging about, it's worth CHEERING as well :D

Richard
Not really an achievement seeing as i ride 25km often.

Yes, how good am i. 8) :P

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 14, 2007 1:20 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Tue May 15, 2007 7:40 am

+1 for the ton

got out of the door relatively early yesterday and rode from brighton to scarborough before heading to the nundah crit track 74.1 klm and was feeling pretty good about that distance as i got home. About 45 mins after sitting down at the comp to watch some cycling tv the mate and his son turn up at the front door and the young fella had just bought himself a new Avanti Carbonio. Sweet looking bike , so after the oohing and aahing of course they want to go for a ride! so off we go to nundah and back and clock up another 31klm.

Since getting my polar i've been riding to stay within the 60-75% max hr to maximize fat burn so its back to roughly 25kph until i can crack the 100kg's so it wasn't anything too strenuous, but i was fast asleep by 7.30.