Bored?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Bored?

Postby europa » Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 am

Feeling bored? I know a lot of you are because you're camped on the forum and not posting anything. Well, here's something to really annoy your boss while you're entertaining yourself during working hours, a collection of bicycling patents ... and some other stuff

Richard
don't blame me when you're sacked :wink:

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Tue May 15, 2007 1:52 pm

You evil man, I've just spent ages reading through that lot when I should have been working! :evil:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Bored?

Postby heavymetal » Tue May 15, 2007 2:38 pm

europa wrote:I know a lot of you are because you're camped on the forum and not posting anything.
Maybe they are swapping PMs and talking about us crazy people :shock: :D

Nice collection of patents if I could see them :shock: The entire forum must be reading them as I can't connect

Kev.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:34 pm

Ooh... I'd rather like to build myself one of them recumbent floaty couches... and then I gotta find a place to ride/float it...

DrEvil123

Postby DrEvil123 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:34 pm

There is soo much there to read!
Anthony.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 16, 2007 9:53 am

Isn't it amazing how old some of the "new ideas" are !!

I love some of the simplicity and the simplstic nature of them

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 16, 2007 10:11 am

That's one of the great things about bicycle technology, it's extremely clever and effective yet for the most part it's still elegantly simple enough for someone to understand how it works just by looking at it.

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 16, 2007 10:53 am

Like automotive technology, many things were invented long before the materials were in place to make them effective. But yes, in cycling, everything develops towards the most simple solution, regardless of the starting point. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Go for a 200k ride, including all the roads that madgreek rides.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed May 16, 2007 1:46 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Go for a 200k ride, including all the roads that madgreek rides.
Am I being dense or is this a complete non sequitur?

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 16, 2007 1:53 pm

It's just Mike being Mike. Just take a deep breath and the pain will go away :D

Besides, I'm months away from tackling the corkscrew ... actually I'm not. Been thinking about it. The trick is the time to do it. Maybe the next time the kids are away - I'll drive to the lad's match, drive to the start of the gorge, ride the bottom of the gorge, up the corkscrew, down Montacute Rd and back to the car. Hmm, wonder what the madgreek is doing that day.

Richard
working hard to be a sucker for all mad suggestions :D

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 16, 2007 2:28 pm

europa wrote:Besides, I'm months away from tackling the corkscrew ... actually I'm not. Been thinking about it. The trick is the time to do it. Maybe the next time the kids are away - I'll drive to the lad's match, drive to the start of the gorge, ride the bottom of the gorge, up the corkscrew, down Montacute Rd and back to the car. Hmm, wonder what the madgreek is doing that day.

Richard
Here's the profile for the Corkscrew Loop - parking at Thorndon Park Resevoir, up Gorge Rd, up the Corkscrew, down Montacute Rd, along Schultze Rd back to the resevoir. 20km - not long but it does have that wee climb in the middle :shock:

The Corkscrew itself is that steep bit from 10km to the top. A lot of it is switchback hairpins. Fun ride. Coming down will be fun too - nearly tossed the motor bike into the blackberries a few times on that run :roll:

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 16, 2007 2:38 pm

europa wrote: tackling the corkscrew ... actually I'm not. Been thinking about it. The trick is the time to do it. Maybe the next time the kids are away - I'll drive to the lad's match, drive to the start of the gorge, ride the bottom of the gorge, up the corkscrew, down Montacute Rd and back to the car. Hmm, wonder what the madgreek is doing that day.
I'd be interested in joining you - so keep in touch.

Suffering is much better en-masse - helps to push that little bit more ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 16, 2007 3:04 pm

europa wrote:Here's the profile for the Corkscrew Loop - parking at Thorndon Park Resevoir, up Gorge Rd, up the Corkscrew, down Montacute Rd, along Schultze Rd back to the resevoir. 20km - not long but it does have that wee climb in the middle :shock:

The Corkscrew itself is that steep bit from 10km to the top. A lot of it is switchback hairpins. Fun ride.

Richard
What is the gradient on the steep stuff ?

Is it a public route on Bikely ?

europa

Postby europa » Wed May 16, 2007 3:13 pm

The gradient is somewhere between OMGosh and 'Wait a tic while I expire'.

Here's the map. I knocked it up just for this exercise. Now that bikely has been sold into commercial hands, I'm not as interested in putting the work into the routes that I used to and hence don't bother to make them pubic.

It starts and finishes at the Thorndon Park car park - I chose that simply because I know you can park there and anywhere is convenient if you're riding a loop. It goes straight up Gorge Rd which I'm not so happy about as it puts you on a narrow and busy road for part of the trip, but I'm not sure there's a convenient way around it. It'll do. If I find myself doing the loop more often, I'll sort that out - this route is good enough for a one off.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 16, 2007 10:07 pm

europa wrote:
europa wrote:Besides, I'm months away from tackling the corkscrew ... actually I'm not. Been thinking about it. The trick is the time to do it. Maybe the next time the kids are away - I'll drive to the lad's match, drive to the start of the gorge, ride the bottom of the gorge, up the corkscrew, down Montacute Rd and back to the car. Hmm, wonder what the madgreek is doing that day.

Richard
Here's the profile for the Corkscrew Loop - parking at Thorndon Park Resevoir, up Gorge Rd, up the Corkscrew, down Montacute Rd, along Schultze Rd back to the resevoir. 20km - not long but it does have that wee climb in the middle :shock:

The Corkscrew itself is that steep bit from 10km to the top. A lot of it is switchback hairpins. Fun ride. Coming down will be fun too - nearly tossed the motor bike into the blackberries a few times on that run :roll:

Richard
That hill looks pretty mean on the graph, definently not fixie territory. I've been up it in a car and could see that it was quite a climb on a bike.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?