Giro d'Italia - 2007

MichaelB

Giro d'Italia - 2007

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2007 12:36 pm

Just noticed the new forum, and also noticed that S O'G is also still doing superb.

I noted on the news this morning (still to get more details), but they reckon that Stuart won the second satge of the Giro d'Italia (pardon me if my spelling isn't correct :roll: )

Whoops - it was Robbie McEwen that got 2nd.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Not ever having seen this on TV, mates tell me it is almost the same prestige level as TdF (ducks quickly) so will be good to see/read more as it comes to hand

Cheers

Michael B

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon May 14, 2007 1:20 pm

Dunno that the Giro is the same prestige level as the TdeF, but it's not far behind.

So the boys are doing well eh? I'll have to have a dig around and see if I can find a website.

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Mon May 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Here we go, the official site

http://www.ilgiroditalia.it/?lang=EN

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Mon May 14, 2007 1:31 pm

Typically, cyclingnews.com is a lot more useful.

Stage 2 results - Robbie showing them the way.

Giro stage 2

Stage 2 - Sunday, May 13: Tempio Pausania - Bosa, 205 km
Rockin' Robbie McEwen sprints ahead of greats
World Champ Bettini and Milram train could not stop Aussie

By Gregor Brown and Tim Maloney, with Shane Stokes in Bosa
Robbie McEwen (Predictor-Lotto)
Photo ©: Roberto Bettini (Click for larger image)

Australian Robbie McEwen took the 90th Giro d'Italia's first sprint stage. The Predictor-Lotto rider latched on to the wheel of Alessandro Petacchi's Milram train and successfully over-powered the Italian and also kept the emerging World Champion Paolo Bettini at bay. The race leadership moved from Enrico Gasparotto (Liquigas) to his teammate Danilo Di Luca.

"I was pretty far back on the climb, there were maybe another 20 riders behind me going over the top," explained an exhausted but happy McEwen in Italian after winning. "But I was maybe 15, 20 positions behind Petacchi, so for me it was just important to come back to the Milram riders by the bottom of the descent. After that, the tactic was simple – I followed Petacchi and his team.

"They did a really good job to pull the sprint. Today I was stronger and I managed to pass Alessandro. I knew that Bettini was there on my wheel, looking for an opportunity, but there were no problems making it to the line."

His Predictor teammates, although not present in the final kilometre, had made sure the 34 year-old was in place for the finale and to take advantage of Milram's work. Brett Lancaster, Mirco Lorenzetto and then Alberto Ongarato pulled for Petacchi but he could not find the strength to deal with McEwen.

The multiple Giro stage winner remained with Ongarato and Petacchi out of the final turn, a right-hander at 300 metres to go. Once Ongarato pulled off McEwen started moving up with Bettini on his wheel. He was able to hold the Quickstep rider in second while Petacchi was left with third position.
Podium and pink time
Photo ©: Sirotti (Click for larger image)

"I can't say that the train did not go, it is Petacchi who did not go," said the Milram sprinter of his ride into Bosa. "I did the last climb up with the best sprinters and I thought I would be fine for the finish.

"I am content after my last year of troubles. Maybe I am still a little down in form but I hope to at least be able to win a stage."

The final downhill run into Bosa contained nothing but smooth roads but it was the nervous finish that caused a crash at 1300 metres to go to the line. Andrea Tonti (Quickstep-Innergetic) came off the worst but the crash also held up the Giro's Maglia Rosa, Enrico Gasparotto (Liquigas). Although the overnight leader did not go down, he lost his jersey to team captain Di Luca, who had stayed with the front runners. 'Gaspa,' now in second overall, will don the Maglia Bianca of the best young rider.

"It was too bad about the crash in the finale but I am happy to have the Maglia Rosa," said Di Luca after crossing the line. "I never saw the crash because I was up front."
There's a lot more in the link above.

Richard

europa

Stage 4

Postby europa » Thu May 17, 2007 12:22 pm

Courtesy of Cyclingnews.com

No aussies sadly :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/gi ... ts/giro074
Stage 4 - Wednesday, May 16: Salerno - Montevergine Di Mercogliano, 153 km
The Killer returns to Montevergine
Di Luca conquers Montevergine after six years and re-takes the Maglia Rosa

By Gregor Brown and Tim Maloney
Di Luca
Photo ©: Sirotti (Click for larger image)

Liquigas did a number on the final ascent of Montevergine by propelling Danilo Di Luca to the win and, at the same time, into the leader's Maglia Rosa. On a stage he first won in 2001, "The Killer" launched his sprint in the final 200 metres to hold off a strong Riccardo Riccò (Saunier Duval-Prodir). Damiano Cunego (Lampre-Fondital) finished some seconds back, in third.

"It was really a beautiful stage. Thanks to the team for doing all that work," said the 31 year-old after the stage. It was due to the work of Liquigas, and the unfortunate crash of teammate Enrico Gasparotto, that Di Luca moved back into the race lead.

Liquigas started its work on the Montevergine di Mercogliano after Saunier Duval had led all day. With the early escape trio (Pavel Brutt, Yuriy Krivtsov, and Markel Irizar) caught, the Italian team brought in the late move by Julio Pérez (Ceramica Panaria-Navigare). The three-time Giro stage winner tried a dig that started with nine kilometres remaining.

"I tried hard today, but I felt bad in the finale," said an exhausted Pérez. The Mexican gave up with 800 metres to the line. "It was too bad."

Richard

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 pm

Do you think that Di Luca has won the Giro *accidents aside* now the mountains are finished or Simoni, Schleck, Cunego could get away on the flat stuff. I see that as being very unlikely, Simoni maybe, Cunego maybe, Schleck no.

Feels a bit weird that the result is almost determined four days out from the end, tho the time trial may give the field a final shake-up 8)

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 pm

Di Luca is going to have to fall off to lose this. At a short two and a half minutes in front, he could stop off for an expresso and to chat up a young miss during the time trial and still win the Giro. Bit tight for second spot though.

Richard

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:28 pm

I think Simoni will get Schleck in the time trial, Simoni is too old and wise in a criteria which is fair from Schleck's forte.

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Only 4 seconds between them (isn't there? I've closed the link) - anything could happen there, even will all else being equal.

Richard

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 pm

Sure is:

Overall Standings (GC) after stage 17
1. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas, 77:35:35
2. Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC, 2:24
3. Gilberto Simoni (I), Saunier Duval, 2:28
4. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 3:29
5. Eddy Mazzoleni (I), Astana, 3:46
6. Riccardo Ricco' (I), Saunier Duval, 5:19
7. David Arroyo Duran (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne, 10:00
8. Evgeni Petrov (Rus), TCS, 10:25
9. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas, 10:39
10. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Lampre, 10:55

Only a four second split split between 2nd and 3rd, the final four spots in the top 10 are up for grabs and Mazzoleni could get Cunego forseeably too.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:12 pm

Final overall standings
1. Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas, 92:59:39
2. Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC, 1:55
3. Eddy Mazzoleni (I), Astana, 2:25
4. Gilberto Simoni (I), Saunier Duval, 3:15
5. Damiano Cunego (I), Lampre, 3:49
6. Riccardo Ricco' (I), Saunier Duval, 7:00
7. Evgeni Petrov (Rus), Tinkoff, 8:34
8. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Lampre, 10:14
9. Franco Pellizotti (I), Liquigas, 10:44
10. David Arroyo Duran (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne, 11:58

Overall: Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas
KOM: Leonardo Piepoli (I), Saunier Duval
Best Young Rider: Andy Schleck (Lux), CSC

Mazzoleni's 2nd place in the penultimate stage (time trial, won by Salvodelli) help him leap frog into third place forcing Simoni off the podium as Danilo Di Luca wins his first Giro! He had a quiet year last year after winning the Protour the previous season, so its good to see he has found some form again, and Petacchi won five stages, taking his total Giro tally to 24 stage wins! Sad for it to finish, but that means its not long til Le Tour and SBS coverage! Woohoo!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:16 pm

Bugger that Simoni dropped to 4th.

I've become very Saunier Duval oriented since I got Scotty. You have to go for the guys who ride your bike :D (OK, they ride the Addict now, not the CR1 but they would ride the CR1 if they had to pay for the bikes themselves :wink: ).

Looking forward to le Tour. Again, I'll be going for the biys in yellow...but will be cheering for Cadel a bit louder!!

Aussie Aussie Aussie and all that... :D

Moo...

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie is all very well, but I'll be barracking for our home town boy and cheering for T-Mobile in the Tour De France.
Isn't is great that we (the 'royal' we, being all Australian riders) are so well represented, with riders in T-Mobile(3 men and 3 women - both lead riders from Canberra! :D ), CSC (3), Predictor-Lotto (4 of them, including Robbie and Cadel), Francaise des Jeux (4) and there's probably more but I can't think of them right now.
ps. I didn't realise how many there are until I checked the team lists of the teams I knew had Aussies in them - it's surprising just how many there are!

europa

Postby europa » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 pm

And the icing on the cake is Cadel having a shot at yellow. While I admire Robbie's and Stuey's efforts in green, it's nice to have someone fighting for yellow as well. Not to forget our reputation for producing domestiques.

So when are we going to produce a climber? If Holland can do it, surely we can.

Richard

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:19 pm

Climbing certainly isn't an Aussie forte. Was watching Will Walker's progress in the Giro and he was top 20 until the mountains started by the looks. Still finished 12th in the "juniors" category and was our top finisher at 50-something which was a sterling effort...but those hilly bits are a killer.

There are about 50 Aussies in the pro peleton I believe (the numbers for each country were in the latest edition of RIDE so I will check tonight and post the numbers - very interesting read).

Moo...

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:44 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Climbing certainly isn't an Aussie forte...
Not surprised given the bulk of the races are flat course criterium and track where the final sprint often determines the result.

If there are more KOM races (eg. Mount Panorama during B2B) or similar, then maybe the selection process would bring out more climbers from the younger ranks.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa

Postby europa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:24 pm

Maybe, but look at all the climbers Holland has produced, and most of that country is below sea level. You can't tell me all the kids are riding off to the Alps on their way home from school (yes, someone's been watching late eighties tdf dvds and probably has a warped perception).

Richard

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:51 pm

europa wrote:Maybe, but look at all the climbers Holland has produced, and most of that country is below sea level. You can't tell me all the kids are riding off to the Alps on their way home from school (yes, someone's been watching late eighties tdf dvds and probably has a warped perception).
But there's a fundamental difference there. Holland is a nation mad on cycling while here, cycling is more of a niche sport for the few. And our output is subjected to the specific focus and selection criteria applied. Also, it's relatively easy for the Dutch to join other teams within Euroland and train in the alps or wherever mountains can be found.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.