Buying a 2nd wheelset

MichaelB

Buying a 2nd wheelset

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2007 10:02 am

OK, it seems as like I have a path fwd based on comments and feedback re changing the rear cassette, and the better path would be different wheelset.

Given that I am not overloaded with cash, and am not a bling admirer, what sort of price should I expect to be paying for a GOOD s/hand/new wheelset ?

End use will be Criterium style rides for future comps/short road races.

Some examples are :

# Shimano WH-7700 - 6 y.o. but 180km done ~ $350 (in adelaide)
# Shimano WH-R535 - ? y.o. but 300km, great nick $250 (in adelaide)
# Bontrager Race Lite - new, bladed spokes, $325 + $35 postage
# Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo - new, ~$300 + $25 postage
# Shimano R550 - new $?? + $25 postage

Any others ?

Cheers

Michael B

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 17, 2007 11:23 am

Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo would be very nice as it really is a Campagnolo. My Racing 5 is the version Evo replaced and is a tad heavier. After 4000+km as my training wheel, it has stayed true and trouble free. Mavic Ksyriums models are also said to be bomb proof and I've been happy with mine too. But if I have another chance to choose, I would stay Fulcrum/Campagnolo. If you can push the budget a tad, Fulcrum Racing 3 is a good buy for the spec improvements.

The other alternative is to go custom build. But at that price range, the labour charge would over ride the benefits.

Personal opinion of course, YMMV. :wink:

PS. I don't think second hand wheels are worth it in general as it's a high stress major wear item (hub/brake track/rim/spoke).
Last edited by sogood on Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2007 11:29 am

Cheers sogood.

The ones I have listed above are sort of in my budget, so can't really spend more.

Then again, just thought of another option.

Keep riding with what I have !! :P

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu May 17, 2007 11:45 am

If you do not mind a bit of a wait, you could get a pair of 2007 Campag Ventos from totalcycling in the UK for about AU$300 including shipping to Oz. Never used them myself, but have read good reviews of their service.

I can definately recommend the Ventos - Nice strong wheels with hubs that seem to want to spin forever. I was going to order mine from totalcycling but could not wait the 7-10 days for shipping and ended up paying more to get some from my lbs. Didn't mind though because they have bee a lot of help to me lately in the advice front so felt good to spend some money there.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 17, 2007 11:57 am

Limitation of Campagnolo wheels is that they are restricted for use with Campag drive trains. I gather that Michael runs Shimanos. So Fulcrum will have to do. The good news is that the Fulcrum range can be seen to be model paired with Campagnolo's range. So Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo and 7 are the choice. I understand that some of the major pro teams use that Racing 5 Evo as their daily training wheel.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu May 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Good point... :oops:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu May 17, 2007 12:28 pm

Seeing you're just talking wheels now, what's wrong with the Australian Velocity wheels?

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 17, 2007 12:39 pm

europa wrote:Seeing you're just talking wheels now, what's wrong with the Australian Velocity wheels?

Richard
$$$ ???

Mind you, then I could buy a rear only, as that is all that would need to be changed.

Or even TWE for that matter.

The aim of the above wheelsets listed were based on a browse of what is on Ebay atm, and buying better quality S/hand than what I can afford new.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu May 17, 2007 2:55 pm

The Velocity Spartucus / Spartucus Pro models pretty much parallel the Shimano WH561 / WH5600 models in price - I don't know about performance.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu May 17, 2007 5:21 pm

How about the Mavic Aksiums? They are about the same price I think (though may be wrong). I use them (87kg was fine) and haven't had a problem at all. They have been strong and still true despite curbs.

Moo...

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu May 17, 2007 6:03 pm

europa wrote: ... what's wrong with the Australian Velocity wheels? ...
In a word, nothing.
Sadly, the 'cachet' associated with particular brands too often has greater perceived value than supporting Australian products. :cry:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

James Sladden

Postby James Sladden » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:28 pm

I was in a similar place - R535's were coming to end the of their lives, after a lot of searching/talking to ppl - I went with Mavic Cosmics Elites from probikekit - cost me $500 + shipping.

Love em!

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:08 pm

I've found the Velocity Fusion a solid light rim (much lighter than the deep v). About $120 for the rim, $80 for spokes and building, dont know about hub cost but Velocity have their own (formula) hubs

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:26 am

I'm trying to pull my head in, as the reality is that I don't NEED another set of rims, but I would like them, and I find it hard to pass up a bargain.

I have been offered two pretty good deals.

One is a set of Bontrager Race - 20/24 Spoke, aero spokes, cartridge bearings, RRP - $599, for $350. Weight of the set is 1,730 gms

The other is a set of Mavic Askium - 20/24 Spoke, aero spokes, cartridge bearings, RRP - $???, for $399 (another bike shop had them at $475).

The shop with the Mavics also mentioned that I could get some wheels built up, as they have a set of Mavic Rims for $100 ea, spokes are $1 ea ($1.40 for black) + cost of hubs.

Hmmmm, what to do ??????????? :cry: :? :roll: :( :x

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:05 am

$399 is a pretty standard price for the Aksium's - they're Mavic's entry-level wheelset. You can see them here. The Bontrager's are quite a bit (250g) lighter.
The ALX 280's from Torpedo7 are pretty keenly priced at the moment. I've got some of these, well the silver ones anyway, and they are pretty good, but I think that I could (or should) have got something a bit stronger.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:55 am

Why the comment " should have gotten something stronger" ?

It seems that Dean Wood's cycles has the Mavic Aksium for $349.

Cell Bikes has the Alex 700C wheelset for $129 !!! Just rang & waiting for confirmation of stock & model number. Site shows out of stock.

Cell Bikes also have the Mavic Aksium for $369.

Cell also have a set of Samson Deep V wheels (30mm deep rims) for $119. These are 32 S/S spokes/wheel.

American Classics entry level is only $399 from Cell, and at 1,637g for the set, are pretty light !!

Torpedo 7 have the Alex ALX-280 (1,840g) wheelset (AT) $269

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:Why the comment " should have gotten something stronger" ?
While I didn't notice any damage (other than a good whack out of alignment) to my WH-560's from my run in with a car last year, I think that it contributed to the front hub's bearing cups wearing out in less than a year and the rear's increasing struggle to stay true. Shimano's much derided drive-side radial spoking might be a contributor, although I didn't have any grief until reasonably recently. I was also more than 10 kg heavier (a bit over 90kg) when I got them than I am now.
MichaelB wrote:It seems that Dean Wood's cycles has the Mavic Aksium for $349.
Cell Bikes also have the Mavic Aksium for $369.
I spotted the Cell bikes price after I posted the other message - the Dean Woods price is pretty good!
MichaelB wrote:Cell Bikes has the Alex 700C wheelset for $129 !!!
Torpedo 7 have the Alex ALX-280 (1,840g) wheelset (AT) $269
I think that Cell have 'an' Alex wheelset for $129, rather than 'the' ALX-280. I can't tell the model from the picture on their website, but I know that A-class do some pretty basic models below the ALX-280.
MichaelB wrote:American Classics entry level is only $399 from Cell, and at 1,637g for the set, are pretty light !!
I don't know why, but I can't get excited at American Classics wheels - there's a few guys in the Club who ride the 420's and they're all quicker than me - maybe that has something to do with it!

While we're on the 'wheels' topic, one of my fellow club members has some of these and he thinks that they are wonderful!

In the last few weeks, Cell have stepped up their product range and their prices are always pretty tight. Are they going to compete with Torpedo7 a bit more seriously?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:39 pm

LuckyPierre wrote: While we're on the 'wheels' topic, one of my fellow club members has some of these and he thinks that they are wonderful!
At $1500, I'd think they were great too !!!!

I'll keep looking and trying to save my money ...... :?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Don't worry, he copped plenty of stick when he wheeled (groan) them out.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:23 pm

$1500 plonked on Token wheels? :shock:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:57 pm

My husband is fishing for a new digital SLR camera and keeps commenting on the price. I told him I didn't mind how much he spent on a camera. He couldn't believe it!! He then asked about the fine print (I'm a wife...there has to be some fine print :P ). I said that whatever he spent, I was able to spend the same on a new wheelset :D

Back on topic, I'm happy with my Aksiums. They may be a little heavier than some others in the same price bracket, but I have found them to be strong and able to take a bit of punishment (kerbs, small dogs, that type of thing :D heehee ). I started riding them at 88kg and am now 83kg so not the lightest girl in the pack.

They are still true, and I haven't had any spoke issues, unlike my Alex rims on my flat bar (model escapes me but came with the 2005 Avanti Blade Sport) on which I have broken 4 spokes. And one broke when the bike was trainer only - no road!!

When the camera is purchased and I am in the market for other rims, my preference will be to stick with the Mavic brand. I'm a happy customer.

Moo...

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:05 pm

moosterbounce wrote:When the camera is purchased and I am in the market for other rims, my preference will be to stick with the Mavic brand. I'm a happy customer.
Fulcrum has nicer freehub seal design than Mavic. You just can't go wrong with the Campagnolo family of wheels.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:21 pm

moosterbounce wrote:My husband is fishing for a new digital SLR camera and keeps commenting on the price. I told him I didn't mind how much he spent on a camera. He couldn't believe it!! He then asked about the fine print (I'm a wife...there has to be some fine print :P ). I said that whatever he spent, I was able to spend the same on a new wheelset :D

Back on topic, I'm happy with my Aksiums. They may be a little heavier than some others in the same price bracket, but I have found them to be strong and able to take a bit of punishment (kerbs, small dogs, that type of thing :D heehee ). I started riding them at 88kg and am now 83kg so not the lightest girl in the pack.

They are still true, and I haven't had any spoke issues, unlike my Alex rims on my flat bar (model escapes me but came with the 2005 Avanti Blade Sport) on which I have broken 4 spokes. And one broke when the bike was trainer only - no road!!

When the camera is purchased and I am in the market for other rims, my preference will be to stick with the Mavic brand. I'm a happy customer.

Moo...
You wouldn't of done well with me, about the most I'd pay on a camera is $200.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:You wouldn't of done well with me, about the most I'd pay on a camera is $200.
No wonder I always have a hard time recognizing the riders in your photos. :wink: