Does anyone know this bike rack?

ShanDog

Does anyone know this bike rack?

Postby ShanDog » Thu May 17, 2007 9:11 am

On the drive to work this morning I saw a car that had a bike rack on it that was different to any I have seen. It was fitted to a hatchback and I have a hatchback so this may be a good option for me because I currently have to squeeze my bike into the boot. For ages I have been considering getting a towbar fitted onto my car purely for a bike rack but this looks like an alternative. The rack seemed to attach firstly at the top of the hatch sort of in the gap where the hatch would pivot and also seemed to be attached and the bottom of the hatch. Its really hard to explain because I saw it quickly as I was driving passed this parked car. I made up a really crappy picture in paint quickly before my boss came in to try and explain what I saw.

If anyone has any ideas on this type of rack that would really great

Cheers in advance,
Shannon

P.S. by crappy picture... I mean absolutely crappy haha

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 17, 2007 9:16 am

G'Day Shannon.

I've got something that looks a lot like that, and a rack on the back of the car too :shock: It pretty much buts against the car and is held there with straps, your bike hangs on the outriggers.

I don't have time now to hunt a link but there was a thread somewhere here on the topic, try a search.

Cheers
Shaun

rider06

Postby rider06 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:47 am

They have them at Cellbikes - I thought about getting one but its easier for me to fold the seats down and stuff the bike in the back. The way i drive its probably safer there than hanging off the back of the car...

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Thu May 17, 2007 10:12 am

I bought one of these recently. I spoke to a couple of places before buying and they both said get a Thule, as they are by far the best quality. Don't go with cheap alternatives, as you run the risk of the thing falling apart especially when driving over bumps.

Thule do a number of different models but the important thing is getting one that is a tight fit. If your car is not on the recommended list then ask if you can get them to fit it to prove that it will be a good fit.

The only other downside is that you can't lock it or your bike to your car so not ideal for long trips where you may stop off somewhere.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu May 17, 2007 10:26 am

From memory, the previous discussion on this supported Jimbob's recommendation ... and ya caint beat the voice of someone who owns one :D

Richard

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu May 17, 2007 10:59 am

Hey thats some great information. Couldn't have asked for a better response. I'm going to check out if thule has a website during my lunch break. Jimbob, do you happen to be from Sydney? if so, I wanna look for a supplier here and was wondering where you got yours from.

The fact that I can't lock the bike up is no problem because I only put my bike in the car specifically to ride at the end of the trip (mostly for commutes to work because if I rode the whole distance it would take me around 6 or so hours for ~ 50km ride on my mtb hehe).

Cheers guys.

EDIT: I managed to have a gap in the work I needed to do so I checked out the thule website and it lists suppliers all over sydney which is great. unfortunately the page to see if my car is in the recommended list doesn't work :? :? :? so I'll have to try again later

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Thu May 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Yes, I'm from Sydney. Originally spoke to somebody at Roof Rack World (44 Dickson Ave, Artarmon) and they seemed really knowledgable. In fact, they wouldn't sell you one unless they are happy it's a good fit.

I ended up going to Auto Rack in Brookvale because they are nearer to where I live. They had them in stock and also checked it out before I drove off with it.

My recommendation would be to ring around, ask for prices and confirm that they are happy to fit it before paying for it if it's not on their list of recommended cars.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu May 17, 2007 9:36 pm

damn.. well I emailed thule because the rear rack guide wasn't working and the reply was that they don't have a rack that fits my car. That is annoying. I think I'll definately have to check out those rack stores you mentioned as soon as I get some free time.

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri May 18, 2007 1:08 am

Hey Shannon,

I know the racks you are talking about. I use them on my car and my sister has one she uses on her hatchback with no problem. I have used the cheaper version and now have the sturdier one and I actually find the cheaper one better. I have had hundreds of bikes carted on it and never had a problem. The dearer one I actually find more fiddly. If you want to try one of the cheaper ones, let me know as I have a spare one here you are welcome to. I also have the towbar ones should you choose to get a towbar fitted. People are hopeless and throw them out so I often have people picking them up and passing them on to me. I am still keeping an eye out for a road bike for you but have yet to come across anything suitable for you.

Karen.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Fri May 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Hey Karen,

That'd be great! I'm just looking for any alternative to fitting that tow bar because they'd have to cut through some of my rear bumper to fit it in. We have a tow bar rack which works on every car in the household except mine :? If my bike can survive on a rear door rack from the hills district to gladesville during peak hour traffic then that'd be perfect. I'm getting sick of throwing my bike in the boot, especially after a messy rainy day haha..

Btw, since I upgraded my job I'm now getting enough money that I'm thinking of putting a deposit on a new roadie in a week or so. I can't wait although it'll still take me a few months to pay the layby off. Can't wait to speed around like the rest of the people on the forums.

Shannon

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Careful Shannon, your addiction is showing 8)

Shaun

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Fri May 18, 2007 7:11 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Careful Shannon, your addiction is showing 8)

Shaun
Thats alright. I'm still in denial :P

Shannon