First "serious" Group Ride ;-)

gdl_gdl

First "serious" Group Ride ;-)

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm

Family Group ride that is!

We've just managed a 13km round trip from Mindarie to Burns Beach - this includes the wife and two kids (9 and 6 years old). This is the furthest the kids have been and it will only get better from here! (My daughter came off her training wheels late last year and is getting better with every ride!)

Of course, we stayed on the paths and had to have eyes in the back of your head when crossing Marmion Ave at the roundabout that meets Grand Ocean Entrance/Boulevard(??). However it was a great ride and great to see the kids enjoying the adventure.

Time to line up the 100km ride next me thinks! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Excellent Gary!

I had a similar milestone yesterday: took both kids on a mountain bike ride on single track near the Dell (out Mundaring way). One's 10 (he's done it before) and the other is 12 (she's never done serious mountain biking at all). We did about 18km all up and both had a ball!

No chance of getting the wife out there though ... :(

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

bennysthe1

Postby bennysthe1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:15 pm

Nice work Gary

I got my GF into riding recently. She had an old Giant MTB and we just got her a decent road bike and she is loving it.

If you dont already know, try Star swamp (Trig). Its a great little beginers riding spot with hard limestone tracks and a few single sandy single track sections for an extra little bit of a challenge for the kiddies.
Last edited by bennysthe1 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20thCB

Postby 20thCB » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:52 pm

bennysthe1 wrote:Nice work Gary

I got my Mrs into riding recently. She had an old Giant MTB and we just got her a decent road bike and she is loving it.

If you dont already know, try Star swamp (Trig). Its a great little beginers riding spot with hard limestone tracks and a few single sandy single track sections for an extra little bit of a challenge for the kiddies.
Where exactly is Star swamp in Trigg? I'm keen to find new places to encourage my kids cycling.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:06 am

Me and my 5 yr old boy just went on his first proper road ride...with in 30 secs he was at the bottom of a 6 foot drainage ditch face first in the mud and freezing water...luckily the rest of the ride was trouble free! :shock: Gave me a real fright!....not a mark...phew.
I can't wait to get up to 13km with the kids...nice one Gary!.Trouble free next time please!!!.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:26 am

toolonglegs wrote:Gave me a real fright!....not a mark...phew.
I can't wait to get up to 13km with the kids...nice one Gary!.Trouble free next time please!!!.
And the kid is OK too? :wink:

bennysthe1

Postby bennysthe1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:24 pm

20thCB wrote:
bennysthe1 wrote:Nice work Gary

I got my Mrs into riding recently. She had an old Giant MTB and we just got her a decent road bike and she is loving it.

Where exactly is Star swamp in Trigg? I'm keen to find new places to encourage my kids cycling.
Start Swamp: North West corner of Marmion ave and Ocean Beach road (Reid hwy). You can ride all through Star Swamp and Trig reserve. Most of the paths are hard limestone with water runoffs that you can do little jumps over. There are a few "goat tracks" that run through the park too. They are sandy with rocky limestone which gives you a half decent workout when riding UP.

We usually ride from Scarborough to Star Swamp, through a few Star Swamp paths and then back to Scarborough for a swim. Its about 20km.
Last edited by bennysthe1 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Me and my 5 yr old boy just went on his first proper road ride...with in 30 secs he was at the bottom of a 6 foot drainage ditch face first in the mud and freezing water...luckily the rest of the ride was trouble free! :shock:
Was he trying to break his bike, just like his dad? :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 pm

cool, we have found family group rides a great way to get close to the action at RedBull air race, Xmas Pageant & Skyshow. Transport the bikes outside the expected traffic congestion then ride the rest of way along bike paths.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:54 pm

sogood wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Me and my 5 yr old boy just went on his first proper road ride...with in 30 secs he was at the bottom of a 6 foot drainage ditch face first in the mud and freezing water...luckily the rest of the ride was trouble free! :shock:
Was he trying to break his bike, just like his dad? :wink:
I tell you he tried really well to emulate me!...I thought a nice single lane road with fresh hotmix which is nearly flat would be perfect...no first thing he does is go hard right,down the embankment and plants the front wheel in a drain...over the bars face first into the mud...inches from a nice little rock!.
Dad "why didn't you brake"
Max "Because I would of slipped off the seat" :lol: