Bike Stand

purplegolden

Bike Stand

Postby purplegolden » Wed May 16, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi can anyone out there recommend a good bike stand? I am sick of getting marks on the walls!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed May 16, 2007 9:58 pm

I was going to ask you what colour you required, but would of been a bit cheeky.

What kind of stand do you want, ie is it going to be permanently fixed to the floor, or do you want to mount the bike on the wall or what?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Wed May 16, 2007 11:40 pm

I was hoping for black with green and purple racing stripes to match my furniture. But seriously, one that stands on the ground would be great. I don't want it to be fixed, but movable if they exist.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Thu May 17, 2007 7:36 am

I bought the foldable 'BikeTool' one from Torpedo7 when it was on special. It's OK (I play with my bikes a fair bit), but I would pay more for one with stronger locking mechanisms (they're only plastic).
You should check out Karen's post on her gem of a bike stand!

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 17, 2007 8:23 am

The cheapest option would be to get a big rubber coated hook from Bunning and anchor it to the ceiling. Then just hang the bike by the wheel.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 17, 2007 10:17 pm

Torpedo 7 have a special on a device that clamps your wheel, but it needs to be attached to something.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 pm

Unless you have a definite reason for wanting to move the stand around, you are better off getting one of the hook systems for the wall. Why? Because anything that is going to be stable enough to support your bike will take up a fair bit of room and will, in fact, push the bike further out from the wall.

A bike hanging from its front wheel can be positioned well into a corner. Pads can be placed under the tyres to prevent marking the walls - even a bit of tape. You could just use a piece of cloth under the tyres but to be honest, you'd wind up placing marks on the wall sooner or later. Of course, you'd have to be able to lift the bike that high.

If all you are worried about is marks on the wall, simply place a bit of cloth (eg and old towell) over the handle bars and seat before leaning the bike against the wall, or if you want to get elaborate, make a cloth wall hanging that the bike leans against.

Richard

Marv

Postby Marv » Fri May 18, 2007 11:31 pm

I only just bought one of these 2 weeks ago.
Great little stand that holds the bike up nicely.
Cost me $35.00. The weight of the rear wheel secures it to the ground.
Different brand but the same design as this, heavy steel construction.

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleI ... SETSI6.jpg

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri May 18, 2007 11:33 pm

Ah yes, I've seen these in shops, holding up the display bikes. They would be a good answer to your problem (might buy one meself :D)

Richard

Marv

Postby Marv » Sat May 19, 2007 12:26 am

Their simplicity is their strength.
Exactly what I was looking for.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sat May 19, 2007 10:18 am

I would've thought hanging a bike by its front wheel would put the wheel out. no? I was just thinking that the wheels are designed to get force coming inwards from the outside of the wheel and not the other way around. Seems like I'm wrong anyway :P

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat May 19, 2007 2:25 pm

i probably need to get one of those nifty little stands as well, wonder where i could find one...

i'm in a rental property, where default bike storage is outside, locked to a verandah post. means if it rains, it gets wet. or just leave it under the verandah unlocked which means it could be just ridden in the rare chance someone wanders round the back.

problem with rentals is that i don't want to mark the walls, and definitely am not ablt to secure stuff to the floor/walls/celing.

so yes, that little standalone stand seems like a good solution. now where could i find one?

cheers!