New Ranks - Expert and Senior Member

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Ranks - Expert and Senior Member

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Hello, have you noticed the blue stars and new titles next to some user names? I have created some new ranks:

Simple - all members with more that 500 posts are automatically senior members.

Expert
For members who are recognised as experts and usually work professionally in the cycling industry. These members may represent a cycling business or service. If you feel that a member of this forum should be recognised as an expert, please let me know.

Existing Ranks
The admin (me), super mods and moderaters all get three stars. For any issues you can PM a mod, otherwise the mods keep an eye on spam and good conduct while also discussing issues about running the forum (eg policy).

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:45 am

can i make one suggestion?

Since most 'normal' members can only reach 1 star (by getting 500 posts) as many do not represent a business so cannot be classified expert and not everyone would become a mod, would it be possible to eliminate the greyed out stars next to their one blue star? Its a small issue i know, but it just seems like they indicate that you have a chance for further promotion, when more often than not many people will be staying at one star. i just feel like 1 star by itself looks better than 1 out of 3 stars.

Just a suggestion 8)
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am

Another suggestion maybe you should rank people as a senior member based on their length as a member vs. number of posts? Otherwise people who spam allot will be ranked as a Snr Member, and those of us who have been around a while but only post quality appear as a normal member :roll:

With the current system I can see allot of people posting for the sake of getting a star....
Been affected by cancer? Know somebody who has been? Read about what I am doing about it http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=37465

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Tom Marius wrote:can i make one suggestion?

Since most 'normal' members can only reach 1 star (by getting 500 posts) as many do not represent a business so cannot be classified expert and not everyone would become a mod, would it be possible to eliminate the greyed out stars next to their one blue star? Its a small issue i know, but it just seems like they indicate that you have a chance for further promotion, when more often than not many people will be staying at one star. i just feel like 1 star by itself looks better than 1 out of 3 stars.

Just a suggestion 8)
Personally I would take it one step further, and award one to three stars for duration of membership/number of posts, with other 'special' symbols for mods and experts (maybe a spanner? ;))...

Thanks Christopher for the upgrade (and all the time & effort you put into the site generally of course) - 'tis a top forum and much appreciated :)

roller

Postby roller » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 pm

ozlegacy wrote:With the current system I can see allot of people posting for the sake of getting a star....
i for one can honestly say that i will not be making erroneous posts just to get myself i star.
inflammatory statement or idea

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Looks good.Some other forums I've frequented in the past have allowed members to modify the "senior member" title to something personalised after 500 posts.Thats maybe something to think about for the future.
keep up the good work.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:38 pm

KISS principle...
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Yes - good feedback regarding the stars Tom. Thank you - it has now been updated.

Regarding the senior member = posts + time registered.
That would be cool however with the setup now I can only automate this based on number of posts. One thing I was thinking about is a rank for members with say 5000 posts (which is amazing) - now this can be done manually however I don't know if it is necessary - at the end of the day, the rank is a small indicator - however there is a person behind the avatar, some members with 100 posts for example may bring in more knowledge than one with 1000 - though for members it is pretty easy to get a feel for the forum and for other members, irrespective of a rank.

None the less, don't hold back with feedback - I take it all on board and decide based on my time and the potential added value what to implement.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Here's my $0.02 FWIW....

The stars (even with the recent modification) appear to indicate a hierarchy is in play here i.e. 1 star = senior member, 2 stars = expert, 3 stars = mod and normal user = 0 star.
I question the need for such a system.

For example, do you need to award the 3 stars for the mods? It appears that they have elevated status above experts, senior members and regular members. Mods are willing volunteers (and they do a great job) but I question the use of the star ratings to warrant this position. I agree they should be identified in their avatar but not in the 3 star way.

This is a great forum and one of the reasons for this is the lack of ego amongst it's members i.e. Anybody can ask a question of any skill or background and it's given a fair hearing and nobody is ever made to feel inferior. I have learnt a hell of a lot from this forum and have gone from a 50km weekly rider to a 250km weekly rider in the 2+ years I have been here. I think this forum has helped me achieve this in no small way. I think a new user post (or a user with less than 500 posts) is just as valid as a senior member post but the stars imply that the senior member posts carry extra weight. If it does not imply this then what is the purpose? There is a chance that you may create a barrier (that presently does not exist) that prevents new users from weighing in with their posts when they join the forum.

In my view this (excellent) website forum is aimed to include and not exclude and I think you may be creating an elitism (either perceived or real) that perhaps is not warranted or needed.

Cheers,

Gary

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 pm

I must agree,personally I am not a fan of the stars...but it dosen't bother me too much.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:40 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:The stars (even with the recent modification) appear to indicate a hierarchy is in play here i.e. 1 star = senior member, 2 stars = expert, 3 stars = mod and normal user = 0 star.
I question the need for such a system.
+1.

I have been on many forums where there are some really fancy systems. Essentially, they build up a hierachy, nepotism, closed shop and used as a way to generate posts and preserve membership. But at the end of the day, most posts are utter rubbish.

I think that a quality forum is far more valuable, irrespective of member numbers.

Yet again, there's obviously a different perspective from a web site owner. I think a balance of the two is the way forward.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 am

gdl_gdl - that is a really fair comment and it has crossed my mind.

What I will do is set up a poll and get feedback - the rating system is certainly not necessary, so lets see if everyone agrees that it should be given the boot - I will abide :)

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:08 am

Cycling is in my BNA

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:59 am

Democracy is the best.....noice :D

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:00 am

toolonglegs wrote:Democracy is the best.....noice :D
And it's the simplest Athenian version too, direct democracy.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:07 am

Democracy needs efficiency and objectivity, or it'll get bogged into mud and achieves nothing.

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:07 am

Athenian, but without the whole 'minimum ownership of land' concept... pure. :D

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:25 am

Oh no - the pretty blue stars are gone.
Details in the Poll Thread.
Cycling is in my BNA